Un-needed effect use in PJ songs...

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
What song do you think has the most unnecessary effect in it? I'm gonna say the delay in "Come Back". I love the song but Mike used that a little too much in the song. Any other opinions?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What song do you think has the most unnecessary effect in it? I'm gonna say the delay in "Come Back". I love the song but Mike used that a little too much in the song. Any other opinions?

hmm i like the delay. i always love some delay. however, i think gone in general is a little overproduced, but the volume swells with either a light wah or phaser what ever it is adds to the over-producey-ness to it. live its alot better, even though i do still love that studio version. otherwise, i love pj's use of effects.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • too much wah in general.......i really fell out of love with my wah pedal, i think it is something to use very infrequently
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    too much wah in general.......i really fell out of love with my wah pedal, i think it is something to use very infrequently
    In Ledbetter, I love it but that's about it.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Can we really judge and say that an effect is unnecessary???
    After all, we're not in the band - I believe it's called artistic expression.
    One may think it's overused, but remember that they're the ones recording it and makaing the $$.
    When someone records a tune they can dictate what they want and where they want it.
    I feel Zakk Wylde overly "pings” & “squeals", but it's his style and how he chooses to express himself.
    Just my 2-cents.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Can we really judge and say that an effect is unnecessary???
    After all, we're not in the band - I believe it's called artistic expression.
    One may think it's overused, but remember that they're the ones recording it and makaing the $$.
    When someone records a tune they can dictate what they want and where they want it.
    I feel Zakk Wylde overly "pings” & “squeals", but it's his style and how he chooses to express himself.
    Just my 2-cents.
    Just a matter of opinion. I'm not bashing PJ at all. It's innocent criticism.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Just a matter of opinion. I'm not bashing PJ at all. It's innocent criticism.
    Never thought it was, never thought you were . . .
    Effects are just like pallets of color for an artist - art is all open to discussion and critique,
    but the only real authority is the artist (he's the only one that really knows the true whys).

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Never thought it was, never thought you were . . .
    Effects are just like pallets of color for an artist - art is all open to discussion and critique,
    but the only real authority is the artist (he's the only one that really knows the true whys).

- Ian
    Yeah, I understand. No disrespect either, by the way.