My neck is dry

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm playing two shows. One on Saturday and another on Sunday. The necks on my electrics are super dry. I can't really slide on them like I used to. I can't buy a humidifier or anything like that. The shows are outside and it's going to be in the lower 80's. Is there ANYTHING I can do or put on them to make them smoother or not as dry?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I don't know how well it works against humidity and other climate conditions, but GHS Fast Fret is a really good lube.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    YES - it's called Fret Board Conditioner.
    They make lots of stuff - here are a few:
    click here: FRETBOARD CONDITIONER or something like a click here:Lemon Oil Treatment

If you don't do this often enough bad things can happen to your fretboard, like "IT CAN CRACK"!!!!!!!
    If you live in a low humidity area you'll need to condition/treat your fretboard regularly to prevent cracking - 1-4 times
    a year depending on how dry it is where you live (if you live in a dry area you just need to do it more often).
    When the guitar's in it's case you can also use a humidifier to help the body from cracking/checking, which can also happen.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

I use this stuff all the time for my strings (works really well) click here: Finger Ease
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I used WD-40 AND it worked great! I hope it doesn't kill my guitar
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Vaseline in the palm, work up and down vigorously !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I used WD-40 AND it worked great! I hope it doesn't kill my guitar

I used to do that until a tech told me off for it. He said that eventually the wood will expand and mess up the fret markers. I still use it to lube my strings but i'm a little more careful when i spray now.
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    I used to do that until a tech told me off for it. He said that eventually the wood will expand and mess up the fret markers. I still use it to lube my strings but i'm a little more careful when i spray now.

Ugh, WD-40 stinks. Silicone lube in a can is much nicer, and mucho better lubricant for strings, just as cheap.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Ugh, WD-40 stinks. Silicone lube in a can is much nicer, and mucho better lubricant for strings, just as cheap.

I don't mind the smell so does that make me weird =). I know there are other things available but i guess each to their own.
    WD40 is actually kind of bad for your fretboard (and it can eventually ruin your neck) - what made you try WD40???
    I'd recommend something different before something bad happens to your neck.
    Try click here:Finger Ease next time - it's actually a better string lube, and won't hurt your neck.

- Ian
    haha, I tried WD-40 because it was where I was playing and no music store out here is open on Sundays. I'm not going to use it again. I have some stuff called Gorilla Snot. Does anyone know anything about that? I don't even know how to use it!
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I use GHS Fast Fret for string lube. I still need a good product to clean all 3 of my fretboards with though. I was debating between the Fender by Meguiers Fretboard Conditioner or these new Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes. Just trying to figure out what's the best bang for my buck, since there's not a whole lot of info on these Ernie Ball wipes.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    I have some stuff called Gorilla Snot. Does anyone know anything about that? I don't even know how to use it!
    Gorilla Snot is just a gripping resin.
    You put it on your fingers so you don't drop your pick, drumstick, or what-have-you.
    Don't put it on your fretboard, that's not what it's used for.

- Ian
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Gorilla Snot is just a gripping resin.
    You put it on your fingers so you don't drop your pick, drumstick, or what-have-you.
    Don't put it on your fretboard, that's not what it's used for.

- Ian
    WOW, you saved me from doing a REALLY bad thing. What can I use it for? Maybe my pick?
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    I don't mind the smell so does that make me weird =). I know there are other things available but i guess each to their own.

yup, makes you weird. finger ease is just a small can of silicone spray, it's ok, i have some i use occasionally.
    WOW, you saved me from doing a REALLY bad thing. What can I use it for? Maybe my pick?
    YES
  • JoooooshJooooosh Posts: 74
    Novawind wrote:
    I use GHS Fast Fret for string lube. I still need a good product to clean all 3 of my fretboards with though. I was debating between the Fender by Meguiers Fretboard Conditioner or these new Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes. Just trying to figure out what's the best bang for my buck, since there's not a whole lot of info on these Ernie Ball wipes.
    for your fretboard just get old english lemon oil. All that specially formulated guitar fretboard conditioner is is just 95% lemon oil with some added chemicals, so you mine as well just get the real thing for cheaper.