My amps are DEAD

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
well, I played a show on Saturday (and it downpoured). After I got the equipment in the garage, my univox amp(backup amp) shorted out on the spot but my main Fender roc pro 700 seemed fine. I plugged it in today and I'm getting shocked pretty nicely. The reverb tank has been acting up for a while (the plugs are coming out) so I often have to plug it back in (a red and a black plug). Well, I went to to that and am getting shocked through the amp and guitar. I checked my peavey bass amp (used as a cab) and it's working fine. No shocking or anything and it was in the rain, too. The amps were in the rain for about three minutes and they weren't drenched by any means. Is there any way I can fix the amp?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    anyone?
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    Unless you're an amp repair tech, I wouldn't mess with them. You definately need to have a licenced tech check them out since they're shocking you. Hopefully it's something cheap and simple like a wet capacitor, and not the other extreme like having to replace the whole thing!
    kitfoo wrote:
    Unless you're an amp repair tech, I wouldn't mess with them. You definately need to have a licenced tech check them out since they're shocking you. Hopefully it's something cheap and simple like a wet capacitor, and not the other extreme like having to replace the whole thing!
    Well, the Roc Pro 700 worked fine when I brought it in (thankfully) BUT I had to part with my univox...but I traded it and got a few packs of strings for it (which was nice since I won't payed $20 for it)
  • PJim87PJim87 Posts: 18
    I work in a electronics company where we do high reliability testing of electronic devices. And really if you dont know what your doing or have any idea of what any of that is i would strongly advise not messing with it. Specially if its tube. Tube stuff takes a shit load of voltage and power to get running and can be really really scary stuff. It could be anything from like hopefully a few blown caps or something. To possibly the amp chips and stuff itself blew. But if it shorted out man cause of the rain, I wouldnt even turn it on again. That thing is likely to just go up in flames if stuff is blown and dead.
    Be for-warned.
  • Sounds like a leaky component like a capacitor perhaps that is not grounding properly.

How good are you with electronic schematics, circuit boards, and a soldering iron?

Otherwise in the shop they go, or a shopping you must go.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
    Yeah, I got shocked a couple times with the Roc Pro but it's working now and I had it checked. Bad news is, my Univox is ruined. I sold it for parts and got a ton of strings for it. I know I need to screw the reverb tank in the Roc Pro down, though. Other than that, I should be okay. Thanks everyone!