Novice question

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
When someone says "Put the distortion before the chorus" what does it mean?

Amp-Distortion-Chorus-Guitar

or

Amp-Chorus-Distortion-Guitar
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I always figure, starting with the guitar to the amp. So guitar to distortion to chorus to amp.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I agree with the above poster. I'm no professional or anything, but chorus is a modulation effect and I've always heard that modulation effects are supposed to be the first in the chain after the amp (and wahs should be last). so (again, from what I've always heard), it should be...

amp>chorus>distortion>wah>guitar.

how about this, what if you have more than one distortion or a distortion and an overdrive? which one goes first?
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    I agree with the above poster. I'm no professional or anything, but chorus is a modulation effect and I've always heard that modulation effects are supposed to be the first in the chain after the amp (and wahs should be last). so (again, from what I've always heard), it should be...

amp>chorus>distortion>wah>guitar.

how about this, what if you have more than one distortion or a distortion and an overdrive? which one goes first?
    Distortion closer to the amp than overdrive
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Wah first, OD/distortion up front, modulation effeects in teh effects loop.
    Or everything up front like me cos I can't be arsed to run the extra cables to use the effects loop.
    Music is not a competetion.