Telecaster Bridges?

acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
So the "classic" or original telecaster's bridge has three adjustable saddles (but two "base" screws on each to "slant them"?), and later "modern" models have six.

Pros/Cons of each? I'd guess the six would sorta give you greater ability to set-up the action? Not that I ever get into that kinda stuff, but I noticed that while checking a few Teles out this weekend.

CLASSIC
http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/3brsagotebr.html
The bridge has three adjustable saddles, with strings doubled up on each.
PLUS: A large chromed cover, often called the "ashtray", was fitted over the bridge for improved grounding, but this is rarely seen as most players find it impedes their style. (wiki)

MODERN
http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/6savitebr.html
The 3-saddle bridge of the original has been replaced with a 6-saddle version, allowing independent length and height adjustment for each string. The stamped metal bridge plate has been replaced with a plain, flat plate, and the bridge grounding cover (which, while helping with the grounding, impedes players who like to mute strings at the bridge with the side of the palm, and makes it impossible to pick near the saddles to produce the characteristic Telecaster 'twang') has been discontinued for most models. (wiki)

Know I'd ditch the "ashtray" regardless cause I do the mute thing a lot. None of the ones I played around on had the ashtray anywho...
[sic] happens
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Having 6 saddles allows you to get the intonation correct, or more correct than you can get with 3 saddles. That's really the biggest difference. After that it's just a personal preference as to which one you think sounds better.
  • just made a few upgrades on my tele and the same question came up for me. its a mim with the modern bridge, no bridge grounding cover, but i had played a few higher quality ones, like the muddy waters and vintage '52 and '62, and i liked the sound a lot, you get a little more sustain and twang out of the brass. Long story short, i bought a vintage 3 saddle from the shop, installed it, but ended up going back to the original 6 saddle. Like jcmark said it all came down to intonation for me. i just couldn't get everything to sound right with the vintage so i went with what was the easiest for me.
    Music for Rhinos