guitar strings questions

IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just changed the strings for the first time on my electric guitar yesterday (I have this guitar for 2 months) and wow I'm impressed by the different sound I get with those new strings.
The guitar was mounted with Dean Markley strings (9-42) when I purchased itand now I changed to Ernie Ball Super Slinky (9-42).
So i'm wondering what kind of string do you like the best and recommend for electric guitar ?

Also, I mostly play with standard tuning (sometimes half step down) and I recently started to learn some drop D songs but the E string is kinda loose with 42 gauge. Do you recommend switching to 10-46 gauge ? I'm a new guitar player (1 year) so I'm not a bend expert and want to make sure that a higher gauge will not be too difficult to play.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    I personally use Fender Super Bullets. I never see any love for them but they feel right for me. I've tried plenty other types strings but keep going back to them. This is for my strat, not sure whether I'd use them on a different guitar. I plan to purchase a 335 style guitar. I'd like to try some GHS Boomers out sometime.

As for gauge I use 10-46. If you are tuning down a half step and a bit of drop d then I'd definitely recommend switching to that gauge.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I use GHS Boomers 10-46 and have for at least a year now on both my guitars (MIM Strat and Epi LP). Sometimes I'll use a DR Pure Blues on my Strat if I happen to pick one up, but I almost swear by the GHS. They have a really long life to them (going on 5 months now and I'm due for a string change any day here). Should probably change them every 3 months or something but YMMV.

As for the bending thing, 10-46 isnt the worst option. It's only one gauge above 9s and frankly I don't have too difficult a time with whole step bends. I can even pull of a 1 1/2 step bend if I try, but that might hurt a little bit. If you change string gauge though, you'll have to reintonate your guitar and it might require adjusting the action and the truss rod. You should probably get a professional setup if you plan to change string gauge. Otherwise just grab a set of GHS Boomers in 9-42 and you should be good to go.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I use Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom .10-.52. The 3 bass strings are 11 gauge and the 3 high strings are 10 gauge. Really really good if you like to tune down half a step or a whole step, the bass straings don't feel loose at all, but the high strings are still easy to bend. Love them. But it really is personal choice. Every time you need a new set of strings buy something different until you find something you think is worth sticking with, there's so much out there that you might as well experiment a little.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Yes, if you're tuning down a ½-step (or experimenting with drop-D), things will sound
    much better if you increase the gauge of your strings, 10-46 is good (even in standard
    tuning 10-46 will make your sound thicker, and you'll have an overall better tone).

Ernie Ball's are awful strings - good for prison house tattoo's, and not much else :)

I recommend strings with a "Pure Nickel Wrap” since they’re warmer, rounder, sweeter,
    and punchier sounding (most strings are nickel plated, not pure nickel wrapped).
    Here are a few of the pure nickel wrapped strings on the market:
    click: DR Pure-Blues, click: D'Addario EPN110 Pure Nickel, click: Gibson Vintage Reissue,
    click: Fender Original 150's 150R, click; GHS RRL Nickel Rockers

My favorite of the group are "DR-Pure Blues" (handmade strings - pronounced "Dee-Are") . . .
    I prefer the DR's not only because of the Pure Nickel Wrap (vintage tone), but also
    because they have a round core (almost all other strings have a hex-shaped core).
    The round core allows the strings to be wrapped much tighter (pressure wound), thus
    allowing the string to be much more responsive and articulate, while it also increases
    sustain, and allows for easier string bending. Anyhow, there’s my 2-cents.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    Thanks everybody !
    I'll switch to 10-46 sooner or later and try some of the strings you recommended.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I use 10s on my Les Paul and 11s on my SG. I like the heavier strings for playing slide, although I'm still a pretty hack slide player.

For brands, I've just never been that big a fan of Ernie Ball's...generally prefer D'Addario for both electric and acoustic. But whatever works for you...