problem with G-string (guitar string not the other one)

IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hello,

I've been playing guitar for one year and I bought an electric guitar just one month ago (a cheap Squier Fat Strat). I've noticed a problem with the G string. It's perfectly tuned when I pluck the string open but when I play it on frette 1 or 2 and check with my tuner the note is not what it should be .
Also, basic chords like EMaj or A don't sound right to me when I compare with my folk guitar.
Is there anything to adjust on the bridge to correct that problem ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eggman214eggman214 Posts: 1
    you may want to get it supertuned or adjusted by a professional. but, that will probably cost you as much as the guitar cost. you may want to upgrade.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Posts: 137
    is the neck straight?
    This guy wouldn't know magesty if it bit him in the face- Strong bad

www.myspace.com/lastgeneration56
  • IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    is the neck straight?

The neck looks fine and there is no problem with other strings ... only problem is with G :(
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    My first guitar was a beginner guitar for under $200 and I always have the same problem with the G string especailly when doing bends. I upgraded my guitar and that solved the problem. Now my Les Paul stays perfectly in tune, even when doing bends and vibratos.
    Maybe look into selling that guitar or keep it as a practice one and spend a little more and upgrade.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    If you think it's worth it, get it set up by a pro. I got my squier strat set up by one because it's my first guitar and I use it the most. Doesn't matter too much how cheap it is but if you're going to use it a lot.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Play an open string G then play the same the G note at the twelfth fret. See if the tone of one or the other is sharp or flat. If it is noticably sharper at the twelfth fret, back the bridge saddle away from the neck a bit with a screwdriver until they match, if it is flat, adjust it towards the neck. This may help.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I think you're most likely having a problem with something referred to as "intonation." This refers to the strings remaining in-tune as you play up and/or down the neck. If, as you play consistently up the neck, the string gets more and more out of tune, then the bridge saddle for that string is most likely way out of adjustment. The typical way to check, as Piper At The Gates suggested, is to play the string open, then at the octave (12th fret) and see if it's still in tune, and if not, how far off it is.

The solution is to adjust the position of that string's bridge saddle. This is a fairly easy thing to accomplish. There should be a screw on the back-side of the bride for each string saddle; by tightening the screw, you are moving the saddle and making the string's length longer. By loosening the screw, you are making the string's length shorter.

So, if your G-string is in-tune when played open, but is sharp at the 12th fret, you need to lengthen the string on that side of the 12th fret, meaning tighten the screw. If the string plays flat at the 12th fret, then loosen the screw.

I feel it necessary to mention that, while rare, a mal-formed nut can produce this exact same problem. The only solution, if that is the case, is to get a new nut installed by a qualified guitar tech.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    Thanks a lot guys for the detailed explanation !!!
    I adjusted the bridge saddle for that string and it's nicely tuned now. I can keep my cheap guitar :D
    Have a nice week-end ! Keep on rocking !
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Sound like an intonation problem - easily fixable on a Strat.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫