Just picked up a guitar

InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just started to learn literally 2 days ago. Anyone got any recomendations?
Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Oxxys wrote:

yeah, DONT try to learn a song yet. just learn chords! start with G D and C lol.

im serious, everyone i have ever tried to teach guitar to has tried to learn songs right off the bat, and it winds up taking them forever to pick up on anything. except my nephew, who is 16 and started playing when he was 13 and now he is fucking awesome !!!

thats my opinion.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    What is a good site to look at cords?
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • I agree, do not learn a song yet. Learn how to play, what sounds good, what sounds bad, what sounds weird, but cool, HOW TO TUNE IT. You don't have to play chords always either. Just try EVERYTHING. And as far as learning chords, I suggest trial and error at this stage. You'll be overwhelmed by a site listing a bunch of chords.

Make up your own songs. Then learn an easy song.
  • Oxxys wrote:
    http://www.cyberfret.com/chords/index.php
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Oxxys wrote:

Levis do good cords.. but if its chords your after,,, then http://www.giventowail.com is your best place for PJ songs.... go to it. now. i guess the sticky just isnt blatant enough? :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/CHORDS.jpg
    I made this for my students - click the image to enlarge it - then print.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ezyrydrezyrydr Posts: 55
    get a tuner!
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Picked up this baby about a month ago. Very happy with the sound.

naughthy049.jpg

naughthy043.jpg

naughthy044.jpg
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Austicman wrote:
    Picked up this baby about a month ago. Very happy with the sound.

naughthy049.jpg

naughthy043.jpg

naughthy044.jpg
    Ya know, of the Ibanez acoustics I've played, I've been VERY impressed with the sound
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    An Ibanez CEW50CBE - those are nice student level guitars.
    I have to say it's a very nice looking laminate Cocobolo guitar.
    http://www.lifeismusic.co.uk/guitar/Ibanez-EW50CBE-NT---Natural----6326.aspx
    I don't think they sell that model in the US - what a shame.
    http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html
    I sure hope you get a lot of use out of it.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Oxxys wrote:
    Good advice here aleady from the guys. I'd just add a couple of things if that's ok. If you are able to swing it, i would suggest that you take some lessons from a teacher or another player. they can show you things in minutes compared to hours of reading and working out on your own.

also, check http://www.giventowail.com because it's the best site available for pj tabs and if you look to the left, they have an excellent section on lessons, and it also goes through tunings. it's easy to read and not to over the top.
    http://www.giventowail.com/lessons/beginners.php

Fun times ahead. Good luck with it :)
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    Is there a reason we've not been able to get the beginners help stuff in a sticky? It sure as hell would help. Not just beginners too, on more than one occasion I've struggled to find a link that I've stupidly not bookmarked.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Hebejebe wrote:
    Is there a reason we've not been able to get the beginners help stuff in a sticky? It sure as hell would help. Not just beginners too, on more than one occasion I've struggled to find a link that I've stupidly not bookmarked.
    I know that we have asked a few times before, but the mods may not have seen it. Maybe i'll bump the 'learning guitar' thread that has all of ianvomsaals links and other information and use the report post thingamajiggy to see if we can get is stickied and the new guys can just read and post in there. Might be more helpful for them to have all the information in one area.
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Good stuff, FYI -- that chord chart above lists each finger as a number:
    1-Index
    2-Middle
    3-Ring
    4-Pinkie

So that tells you which fingers to put on which strings at which frets.

Then, hop over to chordie.com, (http://chordie.com/publicbooks.php?cat=Campfire+songs) check out Campfire songs fer instance and find a bunch of easy 2 or 3 CHORD songs that are fun to sing along, print 'em out. If you know the song, it's easy to figure out kinda how to strum along. TAB is actual note by note notation, how to play riffs and licks and solos and stuff -- Stick with CHORD files first, then TAB, then heck musical notation!

Build a binder of songs you like from Chordie and giventowail, sit down, practice your chords for 10 minutes, flip open the binder practice a few songs 2-3 times, rinse, repeat.

But good advice, practice chords, finger the chord, strum it and adjust til it sounds, pluck each string make sure it's sounding out not muffled. And then practice switching E A D A E, G C D C G, etc etc etc
    [sic] happens
  • Hold_OnHold_On Posts: 52
    the wolf wrote:
    yeah, DONT try to learn a song yet. just learn chords! start with G D and C lol.

im serious, everyone i have ever tried to teach guitar to has tried to learn songs right off the bat, and it winds up taking them forever to pick up on anything. except my nephew, who is 16 and started playing when he was 13 and now he is fucking awesome !!!

thats my opinion.
    Absolutely, 100% agree. The songs will come ONCE YOU LEARN HOW TO PLAY. All of the basic chords & variations are available numerous places online. Learn the basic chords first, get the correct fingerings right, then move on to song-playing.
  • SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    don't forget to practice scales. I picked up playing a little more than a year ago and started with the basic chords: G, A, D, C. Plenty of songs can be played with these. Now Im starting with the scales and wish I would have earlier. I think this would help with YL. Just my 4 cents.

Thanks to all here that help out the newbies, I know you 've helped me.
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • I learned by going to ultimate-guitar.com and looking up songs that I liked and playing along with them. To me it was the best way for me, cause I learned chords as I learned songs. If you like Neil Young (Which if you like PJ its a good chance you do haha) then look up Heart of Gold. I learned real quick, it helped me with my hand speed because you it has hammer-ons in there and you learn chords and chord progression. I couldn't learn just by learning chords.
  • Ya know, of the Ibanez acoustics I've played, I've been VERY impressed with the sound

I have an Ibanez Acoustic Electric I bought brand new for $200 bucks and I love it. My friend has a Martin that he paid 2 grand for and I just can't compare the sound. I'll take a cheap sounding acoustic guitar any day. Electric however...you need the good stuff!
  • I have an Ibanez Acoustic Electric I bought brand new for $200 bucks and I love it. My friend has a Martin that he paid 2 grand for and I just can't compare the sound. I'll take a cheap sounding acoustic guitar any day. Electric however...you need the good stuff!
    Not always true. My I prefer my squier strat to vintage original 59 strats, any day.
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    I learned by going to ultimate-guitar.com and looking up songs that I liked and playing along with them. To me it was the best way for me, cause I learned chords as I learned songs. If you like Neil Young (Which if you like PJ its a good chance you do haha) then look up Heart of Gold. I learned real quick, it helped me with my hand speed because you it has hammer-ons in there and you learn chords and chord progression. I couldn't learn just by learning chords.

Same. Firstly I got volume 1 of a learn to series of books (I'll hunt it up and give you the right name of the book, it was really good one) . I went through that and then jumped on Ultimate-guitar and away I went. Stick to the 5 star rated tabs and chords and you'll be OK. I found Small Town a good place to start when it came to PJ stuff. Slop John B was a good one to learn some picking.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • billyruffbillyruff Posts: 534
    practice till your fingers bleed !!!scales chords etc..your ear will learn the right sounds and your fingers will learn to move..
    Have fun!!