Fender Mini Strat

Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Mini-Strat-Electric-Guitar-102084118-i1146336.gc

Think i'm getting this for my 8 year old. Any thoughts? Any alternative suggestions or experience with this product?

Thanks.
Be excellent to each other
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Maybe I'm the wrong guy to answer, because I'm definitely a strat guy, but I started on a Squire and it was great for me.

For a beginner, the strat will definitely be the most comfortable guitar, and also very versatile. He'll be able to get so many sounds from it he wouldn't need a replacement for years (well, until he grew out of the mini one anyway).

A lot of people say to go with acoustic first, but I think to keep an 8 year olds interest, let him make some noise a little bit with a quality electric, which a Squire is for a starter.

Good guitar, I'd recommend it for sure.

Good luck!
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
    Maybe I'm the wrong guy to answer, because I'm definitely a strat guy, but I started on a Squire and it was great for me.

For a beginner, the strat will definitely be the most comfortable guitar, and also very versatile. He'll be able to get so many sounds from it he wouldn't need a replacement for years (well, until he grew out of the mini one anyway).

A lot of people say to go with acoustic first, but I think to keep an 8 year olds interest, let him make some noise a little bit with a quality electric, which a Squire is for a starter.

Good guitar, I'd recommend it for sure.

Good luck!

Thanks man. I appreciate the feedback. I tend to agree with you about letting them make some noise as well.
    Be excellent to each other
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    It's true that most people prefer to start their kids out with an acoustic, but it's not a must. It won't in anyway disadvantage their learning if they learn on an electric but you just need to keep in mind that kids can be fickle, and they may lose interest fairly quickly. Obviously the electric is going to be a higher set up cost for you, because you are going to have to get an amp. Also using the amp is an extra thing they need to learn (remembering they are only 8), it also limits the portability of the guitar so keep that in mind as well.

Having said that, that's a very nice little squire, and i agree with the other poster about letting them make noise. Lots of it. Also, buy picks. Lots of them :)

Awesome stuff, i love hearing about kids that are keen to play! Good luck with it!