New to this section, Quick pedal question...

BlockheadBlockhead Posts: 1,538
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys, new to this section, i had a quick question.
I have been playing for about 15 years, mostly always acoustic and 12 string. Amp blew on me a week or so ago. Got a new Fender Frontman 212 2X12. and i would like to get some pedals with this new profound sound. I am leaning towards a Dunlpo crybaby, Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer. I am wondering if i need anything else or should i stick with just one pedal or what. Also is the Ibanez considered a distortion pedal. any insight would help me out.
Thanks Guys.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The TS-9 is not actually a distortion pedal. It drives the front end of your amp,(pre-amp section), into overdrive, which will give it some distortion or 'crunch', but that is with a tube amp, and the Frontman amps are solid state. You would probably be better off with a Boss DS-1 or an MXR Distortion+, or one of the many distortion pedals out there. Try some out and see what you like.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Nope, the TS-9 is more overdrive. The Boss BD-2 can give you overdrive, crunch, and distortion. Try that one out. I never really played through the FM212 but I did use a 65R for a show. Essentially the same thing. You might like the BD-2 for that amp since there are no tubes. Also, get a tuner pedal, trust me. It may seem like a "just a tuner" until you start playing and realize the guitar is out of tune and you have to unplug things just to tune. Also, it's a great bypass switch for switching guitars. What kind of sound are you going for? That would help with effects. Finally, before you get a crybaby, try out different wahs. I love my crybaby but some people haven't tried out the bad horsie or the alligator wah.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy