Benmont Vs Boom

LifeWasted21LifeWasted21 Posts: 149
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
This isnt a bash boom cause i think he's fantastic.

But listening to the denver boots with benmoent from the heartbreakers on really proves that boom, whatever the heck he is doing...is not that great. Does that make sense?

i always loved keys on pearl jam. When brendan o brien played with them on some 95 shows he did an excellent job. betterman and black specifically. he really filled the space nicely and colored the song approrpiately. Boom doesnt. He's kind of in and out and just pounding on the keys. I dont play organ so i dont know how to explain it. Listening to benmont tench, he relaly does the same thing. on corduroy he really lets the organ just shine in the background of the song. betterman is great as well...

Just a few comments is all.

hi ex, pac...its strat
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    tench is just on a completely different playing field.

these guys that can play anything, for anyone, at any time, are just amazing in my eyes. like chuck leavell, brent mason etc.
  • LifeWasted21LifeWasted21 Posts: 149
    the man is seriously rocking between the piano and b3 seemlessly throughout corduory. Adds so much to the song.
  • suffragettesuffragette Posts: 253
    What about the dude who played on Like a Rolling Stone? Or Manzarek of The Doors? Pretty much invented keyboards for rock. Benmont must have been classically trained.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I just can't believe he was able to fill in like that. Those guys amaze me.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I love the keys with PJ.
    I must admit that as one who knows how to play piano that Boom really hasn't overly impressed me.

I think having Boom is better than not having him, but they could def. do better in that dept.
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    The best key player around is Eddie Harsch from the Black Crowes :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Neal Evans of Soulive is by far the most talented pianist/organist? I've seen that's out there right now.

The guy plays organ solos on the b-3 with his right hand while playing bass riffs with his left. All of his fingers are so independent and he plays 2 instruments at the same time (one with each hand). There is nothing rythmic about his playing either, he completely goes off in different directions with each hand like he has 2 brains. If you can ever see a clip of it... your jaw will hit the ground.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    howard levy is pretty sick as well.

his simultaneous keybord/harmonica runs are incredible.
  • BaetaBaeta Posts: 9
    On my opinion, Boom´s problem is that he almost always uses the Hammond B3.. It´d be so much interessanting if he got in to more eletric pianos.. Wurlitzer or some Fender Rhodes, for example (because in fact, he already uses one of these, but it´s mostly of the time very subtle...)
    Sometimes that organs tones sounds kind of misfits in the songs.
    But despite this, I think he´s great! His playing makes Pearl Jam´s music more colorful.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Baeta wrote:
    On my opinion, Boom´s problem is that he almost always uses the Hammond B3.. It´d be so much interessanting if he got in to more eletric pianos.. Wurlitzer or some Fender Rhodes, for example (because in fact, he already uses one of these, but it´s mostly of the time very subtle...)
    Sometimes that organs tones sounds kind of misfits in the songs.
    But despite this, I think he´s great! His playing makes Pearl Jam´s music more colorful.

I agree. I've said it many times in the past...
    More piano, less organ!