Advice for a rookie?

Love&TrustLove&Trust Posts: 5
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So after years of saying I am going to start playing guitar, and several fits and starts, this PJ fan is finally going to get going on it. I sing and I studied the oboe for 12 years but we're talking a different animal here, of course. :) I'd like to go at this from a musical perspective, understanding what I am learning and not just memorizing finger positions and such. I'll be on a minimal budget... Should I opt for group lessons? Try teaching myself? If so, what does one use? Is my cheap no-name acoustic going to do it to start or do I need to invest in something better now? I am in the Baltimore, MD area in case any locals have suggestions. THANKS for your thoughts and advice!
"Shoe the shoeless!" -EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'd recommend a decent acoustic, it just makes it so much more enticing to practice.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I'd recommend a decent acoustic, it just makes it so much more enticing to practice.
    Also it will toughen up your fingers so when you're ready to buy an electric (if you so choose) you'll transition wonderfully. People who start electric and go acoustic generally have trouble.

Also you can bring an acoustic anywhere :)

Most important advice: Don't give up. It'll get hard for awhile but just perservere and practice and you'll get over the hump. Just have fun with it.

Also I wouldn't get bogged down in theory and keys... at least not yet.. learn chords and such, that's important, but just don't worry about advanced stuff. Learn songs you love and as you get more experienced the advanced stuff just comes naturally.

Once you get some chords down try "Long Road" or "Small Town".
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • If you like your cheap no-name acoustic, it's good enough. As long as its not so bad that its impeding your progress. I highly suggest getting lessons. Even if you prefer learning from a book or whatever, a good teacher will keep you on track. I know from experience. I say stick with acoustic for now, then when you switch to electric it will be such a relief for your hands.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • I agree Keeponrockin and PJ& toast. I started electric and it's been hell toughening up my fingers on the acoustic. I also was able to cover my mistakes with distortion and settled for it which I am paying for now. Also, if you get a nice acoustic, it'll be more enticing to play. I got a Fender acoustic pack and that guitar isn't expensive but it sounds GREAT. Try out guitars though. A DVD and book comes with the guitar so you can learn stuff. I learned easy Nirvana songs at first. I wish I learned chords and their names along with scales though. I played piano and trumpet by ear and was used to it so I figured guitar was the same but soling is hard when I can't recognize the key. GOOD LUCK AND DON'T GIVE UP!!!!! I hope to speak from the board when I say we support you totally!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    choke up a bit.

welcome to the board.
  • All your advice and support so far is really helpful! Thank you!
    "Shoe the shoeless!" -EV
  • brain of c wrote:
    choke up a bit.

hahah :D
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Well, you have a huge advantage in that you can already read treble clef. Go with an acoustic, and take your time developing correct technique. Trust me, a lot of work early on will pay off with interest a couple of months from now. It is better to learn the right way, then to have to un-learn bad habits :)