Teach myself guitar?

ReleaseMe...ReleaseMe... Posts: 494
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Can i teach myself to play the guitar? or is it too hard to do alone? id rather not go somewhere for lessons...anyone know of a good book that wont make it too complicated by myself?
Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I think it's better to do it on your own because a teacher is not always in tune with what you want to do and will waste a lot of time on stuff you'll never use. there are many books, but I don't think I could point one out.

if you are a member of a video club like Netflix, there are many good starter DVDs. I'd go the DVD route rather than the book route.

learn the parts of guitar
    then learn to read tab
    then learn open major and minor chords
    then learn major/minor barre chords and power chords
    then the 5 positions of the pentatonic scale

that will get you on the way.

"Guitar World" magazine happens to have a DVD out right now. you can get it off the magazine stand in bookstores. it cost $9.99 and is one of the best DVDs I've seen in awhile, bought it 2 days ago. the teacher on the DVD is the editor of Guitar World and he is flat awesome. there are 3 sections on the DVD...1 beginner 2 intermediate 3 advanced. he shows lots of different things from the styles of Nirvana and the Strokes to Metallica and Pantera.

guess I'm starting to ramble here. but yeah, I think teaching yourself is better than lessons, and I'd go DVD rather than book.
  • hey, thanks a lot...awesome response. i will definetly look into going the dvd route now. ha, forgot how awesome technology is. thanks for the help

routine was the theme..

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    lots of great guitarists are "self-taught"

depends how disciplined you are with yourself...

i might get that DVD thingy as i saw it on sale today as well :cool:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • would it be called "learn to play rock guitar" ? looking for it now, but i guess "rock" is the one, right

routine was the theme..

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I started back in June and I'm entirely self taught. And I'm having a blast. The key is to have fun, but still try and actually practice learn things.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    I started back in June and I'm entirely self taught. And I'm having a blast. The key is to have fun, but still try and actually practice learn things.

how far along are you? like what are you up to?

routine was the theme..

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I am glad you posted this question.
    My 15 year old is just starting--a kid at school taught him some Wishlist a few weeks ago and I was SO surprised to hear that when he played it!! Think I will check out that DVD for him.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I taught myself how to play.
    I think you can do it, you just have to REALLY want to learn. I also think there will come a point where outside assistance is needed.
    For me I kinda hit a wall. I'm climbing over that wall now (been playing 2 years) thanks to a little helpful reading.
  • miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,450
    Can i teach myself to play the guitar? or is it too hard to do alone? id rather not go somewhere for lessons...anyone know of a good book that wont make it too complicated by myself?

Dude honestly take lessons. Having someone there to tell you when your fucking up is key to progressing and getting better.

The problem with learning on your own is you will try to progress yourself too rapidly. Learning the notes on the fretboard and specific fingerings is critical to establishing good fundamentals for the guitar. You have to learn mary had a little lamb before you can play yellow ledbetter.

Ive played with plenty of people who can play bar chords but have absolutely no idea what bar chord there playing( meaning theyll be on the 12th fret and have no idea their playing an E chord); or how to switch from a major to a minor- to a flatted 7th.

so honestly take lessons even if its jsut for a few months..get headed in the right direction
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I learned myself and itsa slower road, but teaching myself and reading as opposed to a teacher rattling off a bunch of technical terms, has made me a better rounded musician.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Get thee to a library.

Seriously, libraries have all kinds of great books that you can check out for free on playing just about any kind of instrument. I've found lots of useful stuff, right now I'm reading a book on how to improve my songwriting on guitar. And if you find something really useful in a book, just photocopy the pages you want to keep - I've done that for tabs that I've found in a book.

Lessons are good as well, especially if you feel you've gone as far as you can and need help.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    miller8966 wrote:
    Dude honestly take lessons. Having someone there to tell you when your fucking up is key to progressing and getting better.

The problem with learning on your own is you will try to progress yourself too rapidly. Learning the notes on the fretboard and specific fingerings is critical to establishing good fundamentals for the guitar. You have to learn mary had a little lamb before you can play yellow ledbetter.

Ive played with plenty of people who can play bar chords but have absolutely no idea what bar chord there playing( meaning theyll be on the 12th fret and have no idea their playing an E chord); or how to switch from a major to a minor- to a flatted 7th.

so honestly take lessons even if its jsut for a few months..get headed in the right direction

I may not agree with you on the MT, but that post was 100% right!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    would it be called "learn to play rock guitar" ? looking for it now, but i guess "rock" is the one, right

probably, I know there are little side pictures on the front that say things like "wail like Nirvana!", "rock like AC/DC", "thrash like Metallica!", etc etc.

it's a really good dvd, imo. keep in mind though that it assumes you already know a little about guitar, particularly reading tab. it shows pretty much everything else, but you DO need to know how to read tab already.

I just don't agree with those saying take lessons. I took lessons for about 2 years (years ago) and all I really learned was the basics, which should only take a matter of months. he only taught me the 1 position of the pentatonic scale, so I basically never learned to do any kind of soloing until I went at it on my own. I guess if you get the right teacher, it could be a good thing. but the way technology is now, there's no need for a teacher.
  • first guitar lesson is in afew days, taught myself for a year or so but need to learn abit more theory and i aint really getting anywhere. teachin yourself takes a lot of dedication!
    I see the birds in the rain...

i know and i would not ever touch you, hold you, feel you ever... oh, never again
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First ever show-Leeds Festival 25th Aug 2006.
  • I did it.

Allow the music you love to teach it to you..

learn songs and increase the difficulty..

You'll start to recognize patterns, keys, alternate chord shapes, etc etc etc and you'll be a regular pro in no time - and on your own terms not some teacher's. :)

P.S. (very important)....

Don't give up. It'll get hard as hell for a little while in the begining but just put your head down and bear through it. Practice practice practice!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    how far along are you? like what are you up to?

Well, honestly, I'm not very good at all. I can play bits of some songs and a few easy ones in their entirety, but my lack of real progress is my fault, and not due to the fact that I'm self taught. Most of my playing is just fooling around, playing bits of songs here and there, without really practicing anything. Which is why I say that you really have to honestly practice, as well as have fun to progress at the quickest rate possible.

You can always take lessons later. I plan to take a couple once I start to really feel comfortable with the instrument.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • thanks guys....everyone, i really enjoyed reading what you all had to say....much appreciation!

routine was the theme..

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    maybe ill try this. im thinking about trying to learn again. it would be a good way to kick back after school and stuff. im thinking of buying an acoustic this summer and giving it another go. maybe buy a dvd and fiddle around on my own for a while...
  • You Tube's a good way to learn. You can pause the stream, every couple of notes.

Have a crack at these, in order:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bVY7ghZsPw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7g4Yaq-1bk&mode=related&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wms8xTDpGng&mode=related&search=
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    DOSW wrote:
    Well, honestly, I'm not very good at all. I can play bits of some songs and a few easy ones in their entirety, but my lack of real progress is my fault, and not due to the fact that I'm self taught. Most of my playing is just fooling around, playing bits of songs here and there, without really practicing anything. Which is why I say that you really have to honestly practice, as well as have fun to progress at the quickest rate possible.

You can always take lessons later. I plan to take a couple once I start to really feel comfortable with the instrument.

That kinda sounds like me. I can play things like Black Dog and Kashmir, and yet I struggle playing the BASIC chord progression of Corduroy, and sorta forgot which chord is which of the open chords group.... :o

I really need to get back to basics, and learn the essentials instead of just reading a tab and learning a song.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Pearl_Juli wrote:
    I really need to get back to basics, and learn the essentials instead of just reading a tab and learning a song.

That's typical, Pearl Juli, and hello!

Everyone's different in how they approach learning. Some people have the knack to learn via ear, some need to see it on paper, or in a book, and some need a live person to show them the ropes.

Remember if you're self taught, you're learning from someone who doesn't know what they're doing! :D

I think getting a teacher that you like will put you farther ahead than someone without a teacher, because if you get some of the basics in you, then you build on them, rather than plunk away at stuff from a TAB site THEN get the basics.
    A good teacher should show you how to practice most efficiently. I think the time invested into learning the basics is far less than the time people spend on the computer trying to get the tab for each song. It takes time to learn the basics up front, but then you have them,,, and in most cases you won't need the TAB.

There ARE some good DVD's out there and that can work, because you can plug that thing in whenever you have time, but you have to have the discipline to do it.

If you want to help ear training, one thing I used to tell students is to at least:

1) Learn to barre the E and A formation major chords all the way up the neck. That takes some strength training but it's great to know.

E formation

Letter on the left is the string, Number on the right is the fret
    On an open E, the 0 is an open string.
    On a barre chord, the 0's will be your index finger struggling to barre across all the strings. :D

E -0
    B-0
    G-1 < middle finger
    D-2 <pinky
    A-2 <ring finger
    E-0

A formation:

E-0
    B-2 < pinky
    G-2 < ring
    D-2 < middle
    A-0
    E-0

2) Learn all the notes on the low E string and A string frets.
    The note on the low E string is the root of the chord in the E formation.
    The note on the A string is the root of the chord in A position.

For instance, when you're playing a barred E position chord at the 7th fret, you are actually playing a B chord.

3) Now listen to a song you want to learn and find the key by fretting the E string up to what the general sound matches and voila,,, that's the general chord that's being played.
    Use trial and error and soon your ears and your hands will mesh and you will be released from looking up TAB in most cases.

4) Now learn the Em, E7 , Eminor7th,,,Am, A7 and A minor7th positions and you have just about all rock and roll chords right there.

Em:

E-0
    B-0
    G-0
    D-2
    A-2
    E-0

E7th:

E-0
    B-0
    G-1
    D-0
    A-2
    E-0

E minor 7th:

E-0
    B-0
    G-0
    D-0
    A-1
    E-0

A Minor:

E-0
    B-1
    G-2
    D-2
    A-0
    E-x

A 7th

E-0
    B-2
    G-0
    D-2
    A-0
    E-x

A minor 7th

E-0
    B-1
    G-0
    D-2
    A-0
    E-x

Those aren't hard to learn to barre after you get the major chords down, but then you'll have some basics.

If you listen to the sound of an E7, E minor, E minor 7th enough, for instance, you WILL recognize what chord it is sooner than you think, without even playing it.

There are MANY different ways to play all those chords, but they are basic ways, and that should keep beginners busy for a day or so! :D

Ok, this post took a long time to type! I missed lunch!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

"Make our day"
  • I'm getting by, I dont have school lessons for a while, so I'm using internet lessons. Its going ok. I guess just playing a guitar is practice.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I have two accoustic guitars given to me by my dad but i have never got round to even attempting to learn them. Its my 22nd birthday in about 4 weeks and the only thing ive asked for is a few lessons, ive been told that its good to learn by youself but i think i would like just a few lessons at least to point me in the right direction and then take it from there.

Some of my friends are really good and havent even been playing a year, while others i know have been playing since they were kids and arent good at all. Think it all comes down to dedication and really wanting to play.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • ^ bob why do you use your pinky to play E and A? :confused:

It's not the only way I play them, but it frees up your index finger to barre those chords up the neck.
    It's also good to learn to play the open C , and G chords without your index finger for the same reasons. You can barre them, too.
    It stretches out that pinky and strengthens it up for playing lead, too!
    Be kind, man
    oh i see what you're doing.

I play that formation like that too, but I don't use my pinky when i'm just playing the open E and A.

"Make our day"
  • oh i see what you're doing.

I play that formation like that too, but I don't use my pinky when i'm just playing the open E and A.

I usually play A by barring my ring finger, or index across three strings, but I don't want everyone to have my bad habits! :mrgreen:

I usually play the open chords with my index middle and ring, but doing it with the other fingers is good to get you in position if you're barring.

Haha,,,, I have to sit here an play a guitar to figure out how I'm playing! I can't explain it without looking at my fingers! :D
    Be kind, man

- brain of c
  • I usually play A by barring my ring finger, or index across three strings, but I don't want everyone to have my bad habits! :mrgreen:

I usually play the open chords with my index middle and ring, but doing it with the other fingers is good to get you in position if you're barring.

Haha,,,, I have to sit here an play a guitar to figure out how I'm playing! I can't explain it without looking at my fingers! :D
    haha yeah when I read you were using your pinky I went..

"huh?... do i..?... wait... what?" and ran over to my guitar to see if I do it too. :p

"Make our day"
  • haha yeah when I read you were using your pinky I went..

"huh?... do i..?... wait... what?" and ran over to my guitar to see if I do it too. :p

I'm like that. I've been playing for so damn long I forget how to play! :)

I'm actually going to take some lessons coming up.
    The University of the Arts here in Philadelphia has a great jazz guitar program. I can play a lot of jazz, but this is taught by Pat Martino! :cool:
    That dude is smokin'!!!
    He has a whole theory of all chords coming out of the diminished chord formula, and it changes the way you approach chord structure.

Haha,, back to school at 52 years old! He's older than me, though.
    Be kind, man