Starter Guitar...

bjf143bjf143 Posts: 147
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, so I'm sure this question has been asked many times on here, but i'm gonna ask it again...i'd like to start learning the guitar, so can anyone make any recommendations for a decent, inexpensive starter guitar?? I'm assuming acoustic b/c it's harder to learn, correct??
"Actually, we're a complete fraud. We can't sing, play or write songs, we get other people to do it for us. We also pay radio stations lots of money to tell kids to buy our records and wear clothes like us."

~EV

www.myspace.com/nittanylions

Jo's Board
http:\\jojogvn2fly.proboards86.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Congratulations on getting into the guitar!

I think acoustic is the way to go when you start. Not because it's harder to play. It is a bit, but that's not the issue. Acoustic is easier to pick up and just play when you're inspired to learn or practice or write. It's there, and there're no cords or amps to worry about. When you're at someone elses house, you can pick up the one they have and play.
    This company makes some GREAT low priced guitars. Probably the best I've seen lately. Made in Canada out of a real wood top. I've been playing for 40 years and I just picked one up this year as the "outdoors/ pass around and just play around with" guitar. I actually play it more than any other ones I have:

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/intro.htm
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    hey i have fender squier strat that i bought a year ago that i learned (still learning to play on) but i'd like to buy a new guitar now. Also have the frontman 15g amp that came with it. If you like to buy it let me know since you're in Boston. Give me an offer if you'd like.
    How I choose to feel is how I am.

I think acoustic is the way to go when you start. Not because it's harder to play. It is a bit, but that's not the issue. Acoustic is easier to pick up and just play when you're inspired to learn or practice or write. It's there, and there're no cords or amps to worry about. When you're at someone elses house, you can pick up the one they have and play.
    This company makes some GREAT low priced guitars. Probably the best I've seen lately. Made in Canada out of a real wood top. I've been playing for 40 years and I just picked one up this year as the "outdoors/ pass around and just play around with" guitar. I actually play it more than any other ones I have:

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/intro.htm

agreed....love my A&L....plays and looks beautiful!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    A&L guitars are amazing. I have a black one. It's my main acoustic.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i would just recommend NOT getting a nylon string guitar cuz they have a bigger neck and are harder to learn on and are more of a specialty type guitar, though they may seem easier to play at first cuz the strings don't tear up your fingers like a steel string guitar
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    my 'starter' guitar was my Takamine...

love it, and it's the only one i have...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    i would just recommend NOT getting a nylon string guitar cuz they have a bigger neck and are harder to learn on and are more of a specialty type guitar, though they may seem easier to play at first cuz the strings don't tear up your fingers like a steel string guitar

Yeah, classical guitars are probably not many PJ fans' cup of tea. I picked up my mom's old classical guitar when I first wanted to play, but I just couldn't get anything close to the sound I wanted from it. A very soft, warm sound that just really didn't appeal to me. Definitely go with an acoustic or electric.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    I couldn't find it on the site, but what's the price range on A&L guitars? They certainly look appealing...
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    buy a les paul, and smash it outside the door when you leave the store, demonstrating your ability to learn quickly.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    DOSW wrote:
    I couldn't find it on the site, but what's the price range on A&L guitars? They certainly look appealing...

I picked mine up, solid top with cutaway and electronics, for under $400 cdn.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    StuffnJunk wrote:

On the money.

The calaises hurt for about a week to two weeks, no matter whether you play nylon or steel string. After that your fingers might still peel a little bit, but I personally much favor a steel-string acoustic over nylon for the tone definition you can get out of it.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    DOSW wrote:

I got a solid cedar top A&L for $235us
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navigation?N=100001+202984

Here's one of them.
    I'll tell ya, I don't think you'll find a better guitar for the price. They're made with renewable wood, too. Not endangered rainforest wood. That's become an issue these days. (ok, well, to me!) They're cutting a lot of Mahogany and Rosewood, and other endangered woods down there in beautiful rainforests. Guitar making doesn't take the major portion of what's being done, but it's helping to enable the cutting. I've been looking into finding alternative ways to build good guitars, and these guys have done it.

I found mine at a music store in my area last year. They're the same company that make Seagull and Godin guitars, too, so they aren't obscure.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Without any first hand experience with A&L guitars, I can't comment on their quality but I'm sure they're fine. That said, there's a reason the Washburn D10 is the top-selling acoustic guitar in the world. It's really easy to play, stupid cheap, sounds good and they now come standard with a solid top.
  • XboxjunkieXboxjunkie Posts: 133
    I got my takamine G320 for $200 on sale and this thing is great, love playing it.
    How I choose to feel is how I am.
    Ok, so I'm sure this question has been asked many times on here, but i'm gonna ask it again...i'd like to start learning the guitar, so can anyone make any recommendations for a decent, inexpensive starter guitar?? I'm assuming acoustic b/c it's harder to learn, correct??

I started back in March and I would say don't start with an acoustic b/c of what you hear about learning that way..start with whatever inspires you to play. I say this b/c for me, I like cranking out my Les Paul. I can change the amp to sound cleaner when i'm actually working on things and then add distortion when I want to get rid of some tension. :D

Just do what inspires you, b/c either way you'll end up getting into the other. I'm sure I'll have an acoustic one day.

Have fun...the learning process is great!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I've been playing for about 2 years now and I still don't own an electric. I'm hoping to soon, but I just prefer acoustic.
    Drew263 wrote:
    I started back in March and I would say don't start with an acoustic b/c of what you hear about learning that way..start with whatever inspires you to play. I say this b/c for me, I like cranking out my Les Paul. I can change the amp to sound cleaner when i'm actually working on things and then add distortion when I want to get rid of some tension. :D

Just do what inspires you, b/c either way you'll end up getting into the other. I'm sure I'll have an acoustic one day.

Have fun...the learning process is great!

I'm the same way. A clean electric works for me for days when I feel like playing softer stuff. Of course, it doesn't have the desired tone of an acoustic, but the feel is the same.

But those A&L acoustics seem like they'd be a good choice for when I decide to get an acoustic. But that won't be anytime soon.
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    DOSW wrote:
    I'm the same way. A clean electric works for me for days when I feel like playing softer stuff. Of course, it doesn't have the desired tone of an acoustic, but the feel is the same.

But those A&L acoustics seem like they'd be a good choice for when I decide to get an acoustic. But that won't be anytime soon.

yeah...and w/o sounding too hippy(ish) :), I really think it's a matter of what makes you want to pick up the guitar. If it's acoustic, great..if not..great. Playing music (or trying to in my case) is good no matter the way imo...