Musicians Friend

Get Ready for EddyGet Ready for Eddy Posts: 32
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey everybody,

a website that i'm sure many of you are familiar with is http://www.musiciansfriend.com i've been on there many a time, however, i've never actually ever purchased anything because because most of the prices they have there are identical if not higher then the prices fo the gear at my local store. has anybody here ever bought anything off of the website? if so how was the quality and was the price good compared to what you could buy closer to home?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hey everybody,

a website that i'm sure many of you are familiar with is http://www.musiciansfriend.com i've been on there many a time, however, i've never actually ever purchased anything because because most of the prices they have there are identical if not higher then the prices fo the gear at my local store. has anybody here ever bought anything off of the website? if so how was the quality and was the price good compared to what you could buy closer to home?

Never had a problem, always good customer service. I've bought small stuff to huge stuff, $50 to $2,000, never had a problem.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • MF are great, I've never had any problems with them.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I've used them a lot with mixed results mostly because their prices are WAY cheaper than what I can get at local music stores. But if could get the same or similar price at a local store I would - theres nothing better than seeing, touching, feeling and hearing the gear you buy before you buy it (not to mention the joy of supporting local business in your area).

Also, don't put too much trust into the product reviews at MF. My last purchase there was a practice amp that came in a box that looked like it had been through hell and though the amp looked and sounded fine, there was a screw sticking out of the cabinet on each side of it. When I entered a comment about the shoddy condition of the box and the screw issue on their site, it mysteriously never showed up... lame.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • DeLukin wrote:
    Also, don't put too much trust into the product reviews at MF. My last purchase there was a practice amp that came in a box that looked like it had been through hell and though the amp looked and sounded fine, there was a screw sticking out of the cabinet on each side of it. When I entered a comment about the shoddy condition of the box and the screw issue on their site, it mysteriously never showed up... lame.
    That is a little fishy, although MF isn't responsible for what UPS does to the packages during shipping.

But yeah, for product reviews I normally depend on harmony-central.com
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • yeah, i've never really had a problem with them either. when i've had to return items, it was no problem and they paid the return shipping. you must have a good local shop, because mf undercuts my shop by quite a bit on just about everything (ex: i got a strap at my local store for 16 bucks last week, mf sells them for 11).

I'm lucky, we have a guitar center, and two private own music stores. One has a great selection. We just work deals between those three stores, until we get it under what Musicians Friend sells it for.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    MF always always always undersells my local stores. I think the only things I've gotten local have been a slide, a guitar stand and some strings. Everything else has been ordered through MF or eBay.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • DeLukin wrote:

Yeah, all the negative reviews I post never seem to show up, but then again some of the positive ones don't either. Harmony central is a much better resource.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • I've never had problems. A couple of years ago I bought an Epi studio les paul,..

the first one had chips in the body :eek:!

So i returned it for a new one.. no problem at all.

Then the second one had horrible blemishes on the paint, so i returned that one too, again with no problems. They even let me keep the second guitar until the third arrived.

Third one was perfect. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I actually bought my first guitar/amp pack off that site. It's actually linked to Guitar Center(in some way or another). Anyway, great site if you are interested. I personally like going to the store better so I can talk the people down, it's pretty awesome there.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    they are much cheaper on everything than my local store. and they have a good return policy. I bought a $630 amp with no problem. plus, I didn't know that they give you a gift certificate based on your purchase price. so I got a $45 certificate for the $630 buy.
    It's actually linked to Guitar Center(in some way or another).

MF bought GC a few years back.
  • alright thanks everybody that was really helpful. haha the store i have in my area that i was referring to was guitar center so that might explain why the prices are similar. thanks again