Learning to play guitar

mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm trying to learn how to play the guitar. Right now my biggest obstacle is building up calluses on my fingers. Any tips on how to do this? Also, anyother advice that you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.
"So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
"Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Stick it out is the only advice I can give. I tried learning to play about four or five times in high school, all failed because I didn't want the time or annoyance of building up calluses on my fingers, much less be able to nail a barre chord. Now in college I picked it up for good.

If you want to work on technique, try learning basic scales and modes. As you pick them, try to do them faster each time--slowly at first then build up. Before you know it your fingers will be hard as diamonds.

Are you doing acoustic or electric? Electrics, for the most part, have thinner strings that are closer to the fretboard, which makes it easy to play. Acoustic is good for helping build up your finger strength, though.

Good luck.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • The calluses will build. Like Novawind says, stick it out and you'll be fine. Don't overplay yet, because not only your calluses need to be built up, but finger strength, too. Try TOO hard and you can strain your tendons and muscles. Pain equals no gain!

If you can, I always recommend taking at least a few lessons. There is no better way than sitting with someone and having them direct your fingers in the right position, give you some pointers and showing you chords and techniques. You'll get MUCH faster results than browsing the internet.
    An hour with a good teacher is 3 hours trying to figure something out with a book, trying to find something on the internet and refreshing the screen when it goes dark right when you think you have it! :D
    After a some lessons you can decide if you want to try it on your own for a while. Learning goes in waves. Sometimes you'll think you can't learn any more, and are in a rut, then,,,,, bawaaammm something cool clicks and you learn more! That happens as long as you keep playing, and that's like around 40 years for me!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Thanks guys..... I'm on an acoustic. I would like to take some lessons, but I'm a poor college student. I've been playing about a hour a day. Just practicing on some chords. I guess I should look for scales to help my technique and stregthen my fingers. Do you guys know of any websites or cheap books that would help me out?
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    ive been playing about a year, and am completely self taught mate, ive learnt almost every aspect of guitar just by playing pearl jam songs off http://www.giventowail.com

its taught me chords, scales, barr chords, power chords, modes etc etc etc

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Ask your gf to lend you some of her clear nail polish. Put it on the tips of your fingers. It helps until you get the calluses built up.
    Make love not war
    9/22/96 Savage Hall, Toledo, 8/19/98 Breslin Cntr E. Lansing, 8/23/98 Palace, 10/7/00 Palace, 4/25/03 Cleveland, 6/25/03 DTE, 6/26/03 DTE, 10/2/04 Toledo, 9/12/05 J Labatt Cntr, London
    9/13/05 Copps Col., Hamilton, 5/20/06 Cleveland, 5/22/06 Palace,
    5/9/10 Cleveland
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Novawind wrote:
    Stick it out is the only advice I can give. I tried learning to play about four or five times in high school, all failed because I didn't want the time or annoyance of building up calluses on my fingers, much less be able to nail a barre chord. Now in college I picked it up for good.

If you want to work on technique, try learning basic scales and modes. As you pick them, try to do them faster each time--slowly at first then build up. Before you know it your fingers will be hard as diamonds.

Are you doing acoustic or electric? Electrics, for the most part, have thinner strings that are closer to the fretboard, which makes it easy to play. Acoustic is good for helping build up your finger strength, though.

Good luck.
    exactly...it is VERY furstrating at first, learning finger placement, strumming, and chords in general. The calluses will come with play. Unfortunately for me, I bite my nails, and even the skin around my nails, so I have to rebuild calluses all the time. But stick with it, dont give up, and you will see a difference

all4
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    PJfan444 wrote:
    Ask your gf to lend you some of her under ware. Put it on the top of your head. It helps until you get the calluses built up.

now im sure i read that wrong
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • forget the nail polish and put her underwear on your head. It may not do much for your fingers but your head will feel really good!
    Make love not war
    9/22/96 Savage Hall, Toledo, 8/19/98 Breslin Cntr E. Lansing, 8/23/98 Palace, 10/7/00 Palace, 4/25/03 Cleveland, 6/25/03 DTE, 6/26/03 DTE, 10/2/04 Toledo, 9/12/05 J Labatt Cntr, London
    9/13/05 Copps Col., Hamilton, 5/20/06 Cleveland, 5/22/06 Palace,
    5/9/10 Cleveland
  • exactly...it is VERY furstrating at first, learning finger placement, strumming, and chords in general. The calluses will come with play. Unfortunately for me, I bite my nails, and even the skin around my nails, so I have to rebuild calluses all the time. But stick with it, dont give up, and you will see a difference

all4

wow and i thought i was the only person who bites their nails and the skin guess im not alone ^_^
    lol
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    just keep practicing, youll get better.