DRUMMERS: Your favorite drumheads and why?

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Finally going to replace the heads on my 7 year old Tama Rockstar Customs. I've still got the tama ones on there. What's your favorite brand? Clear or Coated?
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    i use evans, no reason honestly, i just do. if you want a warmer tone, go with a thicker head. i have smaller toms (its a fusion set) so i want possibly coated heads to give it a warmer/deeper tone. not sure if im any help lol
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Remo Powerstroke 3's. Fuck yeah.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Remo Clear Ambassadors over Clear Ambassadors on toms, Remo Powerstroke 3 over Ebony PS3 on kick...

(Fuck yeah!)
  • lmao
    thats kinda funny
    ive got a tama rockstar custom
    had it bout 4 years now and i still have the original tama heads too :P
    they also need a change pretty bad
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I prefer Evans, followed closely by Remo's. I have Ambassadors on my Bonham kit right now. Sound just fine, but the kick could use some fine tuning. I'm not above using the Evans EQ3 system on my kicks regardless of what I have on the toms or snare.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    It all depends on the drums and what sound you're looking for.

I currently use Evans on my bass and toms, and Remo on my snare, although I'm always looking to try news things and get a new sound.
  • I use Evans. They have a lot better consistency and theyre more durable for me. Sound damn good too.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • I use remo pinstripe coated on the toms. I play hard so I need something 2-ply, and I like the warmth that the coated heads provide. They can mask the annoying frequencies that come from a kit that isn't top of the line (I have a pearl export). On the kick I use aquarian super kick II--just the right amount of muffling for me. On the snare I just use a coated ambassador--I have to replace it often but I like the sharp, wide-open tone.
    The words you say never seem to live up to the ones inside your head...
  • when I feel like throwing on some great sounding heads and not spend all day tuning them?

Evans EC2 on top, G1 clears on bottom

Tama Superstars, btw
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?