"Soundproofing" A Room

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Let me start by saying the title is not exactly what I'm getting at. I've got a room in my house that I wanna use to start jamming in. It's got a wooden floor, 2 hallways connected 2 it and our house is very old so it's not ideal for playing music in, but it's all I've got. What can i do to minimize the echo and make it better for playing in. It needs to be cheap and matresses are not an option.
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    All you need is a pocket of air to drastically help reduce noise levels.
    You basically build a room inside the room.
    A cheaper way to do this is to build a 2x4 frame inside the entire room (walls, floor, ceiling).
    Now that you have a base to work from add new floors/walls/ceiling.
    This is called floating a room.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I am also going to build a soundproof room to jam in once our house is done being built. I need some advice as well and any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    if you have cash, and some handy skills, there is this stuff called Quiet Rock. Basically its drywall with 10x the sound proofing qualities as normal stuff. Apparently the equivalent to 9 regular sheets, but comes at 10x the cost. so theres that crazy high end solution.

edit: link: http://www.quietsolution.com/html/quietrock.html
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks for that link. That will help out huge. Now I just have to call for a quote. Hopefully it's reasonable.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    There's also SHEETBLOK
    This stuff is a great is a Sound Isolation Barrier that comes in a roll - it's a dense, limp-mass vinyl material that's about 6dB more effective than solid lead at stopping the transmission of sound. It acts as a thin, dense sound barrier layer in walls, ceilings or floors and is most effective when used as one component of a multi-layered construction scheme.

SheetBlok helps in decoupling (i.e. floating) floors and walls and, while it's not normally considered a finish product per se, it is paintable with latex paint.

And it's only $349 for a 30'X4' sheet/roll - It's actually ideal when used in conjunction with materials like drywall or plywood (i.e. floating walls/floors).

Here's a link that talks about some more specifics as to why it's better than just using drywall or plywood: http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/sw/sheetrock.php

Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>