Top 100 Greatest Guitar Solos

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://guitar.about.com/library/bl100greatest.htm

Whatta ya think?

Mr. McCready made it twice at #44 with Alive and #95 with YLB. I'm suprised Alive made it so high considering it was originally written and revised by 2 guitarists (Robbie Kreiger in "Five to One" by the Doors and Ace Frehley in "She" by KISS). Not taking away from its greatness, but they got no credit for it.
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think its an OK list, not the best. IMO, Yellow Ledbetter>Alive
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Smells Like Teen Spirit at no.26. I don't think so.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Stairway To Heaven has to be #1 in my books.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • november hotel is mccready's best effort, beats on any Pearl Jam, and it also beats out any Temple as well, if you can show me a mccready solo that can stun me more than november hotel, i will buy his 59 and give it to you.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Smells Like Teen Spirit at no.26. I don't think so.

In Bloom at 65..........

Love Nirvana but he did not write great solos except for Aero Zeppelin off the top of my head.
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I'm sorry, but I personally don't like these very much. Eruption is the second best guitar solo of ALL time? I dont think so.

And the first Neil solo is 39? WHAT!??
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Eruption kicked open a lot of doors. Stairway is good, but I don't think its that good. IMO, Lenny or Little Wing should be Number 1.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • sweet child o' mine is #37?? ha!! more like # 3 or # 7. at least they put november rain in the top ten. slash is/was great. and ya i agree, nirvana solos are boring. zzzzzzzzzzzz.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    I think "since I've been loving you" should be top 20, and "Black" should be in the top 100 also

as for Cobain songs, I think they are on the list because he was such a good songwriter, don't think the solos are particularly outstanding.

As for Master Mike, his guitar playing is more spectacular live, and suddle on the albums
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    These lists should seriously define "best". I'm sick of seeing Smells Like Teen Spirit on all these lists. Greatest song list I'll accept. Greatest solo list, no fucking way.

DEFINE BEST!!!
  • november hotel is mccready's best effort, beats on any Pearl Jam, and it also beats out any Temple as well, if you can show me a mccready solo that can stun me more than november hotel, i will buy his 59 and give it to you.

Yeah November Hotel is just one amazing song and the solo is Mike's best studio solo I'd say. However I have heards some live solos that best it in my opinion, especially during Black. Maybe Pearl Jam should play this just once.

As for the top 100 solos of all time, it should be "the top most mainstreamly appreciated songs that really are not that amazing but we will say they will because these bands sell alot of records".

Smells like teen spirit is just a reiteration of the vocal melody, which is lame and boring just like every other Nirvana song.

I'm listening to that song for the first time right now....this is a different side of Mike studio. :)

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • the top 100 guitar leads were probably all played by hendrix, no shit
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    its bullshit
    how can smells like teen spirit be that low its the most simple solo ever. i learnt to play it after i had been playing guitar a week! alive is such a beautifully sounding and well structured solo it belongs in the top 10

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    Smells Like Teen Spirit at no.26. I don't think so.

That`s fucking stupid..Didn`t even know that the song had a solo;)

I think that Alive should`ve been up among the 20 best..It`s an amazing solo
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
  • dont agree with euroption its good solo, but its not really impressive to other guitar players.. its something you show to a friend who has no clue about guitar and they will be impressed

all in all though not a bad list
    Keep on Rockin'
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Glad to see they had Richie Blackmore in there. I'm surprised that Alex Lifeson wasn't in for Spirit of the Radio. Good to see Clapton, but likewise surprised that Badge wasn't mentioned. Some of what was listed was pretty lame, but then what do I know, I'm just a chick.......
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • As with most lists, it's a chance to show what the writer thinks are great bands. I know a lot of bands that blow these people out of the water. Sure, a lot of them are good, but when talking about greatest solos in a song, one should always mention Things You Didn't Know by the Bottle Rockets...that's a sick solo.

I do think Alive should be higher...and Eruption much lower.
  • PHAN1217PHAN1217 Posts: 15
    Blue Sky/ Dickey Betts Has Got To Be Much Higher!
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    the Teen spirit solo is amazing, it's not wanking like eruption, horrible cliche like stairway it serves the song better then almost any normal solo and that's what it should be judged on. The fact that it manages to do this while remaining so bloody simple is further testament to how good the solo is.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Anyone know the band Triumph?

There's a song called Magic Power and the solo is just kick-ass.

.NJD.