Buying a Tube Amp on Ebay?

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Might purchase this Traynor tonight. What i want to know is, should i be worrying about damage to the tubes during the shipping process? Thanks for any advice in advance.
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    When I got mine (Traynor also) the tubes were fine but about 5 minutes after I started it, the fuse blew and I have since sent it to be repaired. I want to say that something inside got knocked loose in shipping or the amp itself was flawed (I have a refund option available).

To answer your question, the tubes were perfectly fine. Just be wary about who you're buying from. I'd probably just save a little extra and go Musician's Friend next time.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    I'd have them remove the tubes and wrap them separately.

That's how mine was shipped, and everything was intact when I got it.
  • Novawind wrote:
    When I got mine (Traynor also) the tubes were fine but about 5 minutes after I started it, the fuse blew and I have since sent it to be repaired. I want to say that something inside got knocked loose in shipping or the amp itself was flawed (I have a refund option available).

To answer your question, the tubes were perfectly fine. Just be wary about who you're buying from. I'd probably just save a little extra and go Musician's Friend next time.

Will musiciansfriend ship it differently than the ebay seller?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • I don't know about the traynors, but my ampeg reverberocket has a metal cage around the preamp tubes (the glass ones, the metal power amp tubes obviously are hard to break). I wouldn't worry about it.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Anything shipped can be subject to general damage. I'm gonna disagree with senin, and say that teh safest way to ship tubes is in teh sockets where they belong. There is no spefici rislk of tube damage, and even if they break, they are the cheapest wasist thing to fix. CAbinet or circiut baord damage is much worse.
    TUbe amps are more robust than you think. They survive being joltesd arounf d in military vehicles for example. Why do you think all teh tubes come from teh Eastern bloc. Cos their military still use them, that's why. Priimitive , but robust and effective.
    A good e-bay seller will pack it well. Suggest putting it in a bios, then put that in a bigger box, with bubble wrap or foam beans filling the gap, then mark it fragile. Using a good shipper, rahter than a cheap one is wiorth it as well.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Will musiciansfriend ship it differently than the ebay seller?

No, the difference being that Musician's Friend would ship a new one, as opposed to used from eBay. It's not the shipping that concerns me, it's the initial state of the amp itself.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1