Closing Remarks on Pedal Order Threads

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Okay, so maybe I went a little overboard. Maybe not. Maybe I'm speaking for a lot of us. That's 12 threads right there. There were others that touched on the same topic, but these 12 were the most blatantly obvious. Any more, and I'm starting a petition to rename this section of the forum "Groundhog Day".

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I can't even count how many times I've encouraged use of the search function "nicely" and to no avail.
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    So are you saying you WON'T tell me the order my pedals should be in??? We should rename this thread "False Advertising."
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • DeLukin wrote:
    So are you saying you WON'T tell me the order my pedals should be in??? We should rename this thread "False Advertising."

No... it was a closing remark to my overall point about the pedal order threads.

Wah>Compressor>Overdrive>EQ>Pitch>Modulation>Level>Echo

Satisfied?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    No... it was a closing remark to my overall point about the pedal order threads. if that was an attempt at humor, sorry, i didn't get it.

Wah>Compressor>Overdrive>EQ>Pitch>Modulation>Level>Echo

Satisfied?

It always amazes me why people create useless threads complaining about useless threads...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    Okay, so maybe I went a little overboard. Maybe not. Maybe I'm speaking for a lot of us. That's 12 threads right there. There were others that touched on the same topic, but these 12 were the most blatantly obvious. Any more, and I'm starting a petition to rename this section of the forum "Groundhog Day".

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I can't even count how many times I've encouraged use of the search function "nicely" and to no avail.

what's worse, one thread about pedal order a week, or 14 popping up at once?
    i'm going to go with 14 at once.

by bumping all the pedal order threads, you have officially become more annoying than the people posting said threads. so shut the fuck up already.
  • scot88 wrote:
    what's worse, one thread about pedal order a week, or 14 popping up at once?
    i'm going to go with 14 at once.

by bumping all the pedal order threads, you have officially become more annoying than the people posting said threads. so shut the fuck up already.

Obviously, it was to make a point to end the Pedal Order threads. If you don't ask, you'll never get what you want. So put your internet-muscles away and don't order anyone to "Shut the fuck up." That's useless on the web.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Hey guys, what happened here? This was always a place where I thought people could get help with all things music and gear related. Why is everyone becoming so hostile over something as trivial as threads? We'll make a sticky and bam, problem solved. Notice how there are very few, if any, threads relating to Pearl Jam tabs since the GTW sticky got put up. I understand that some people are tired of answering the same questions about pedal order in particular, but screaming at people telling them to search won't answer their question, and it will drive them away, and the forum won't be any better for it.

Don't get mad, get zoloft.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Obviously, it was to make a point to end the Pedal Order threads. If you don't ask, you'll never get what you want. So put your internet-muscles away and don't order anyone to "Shut the fuck up." That's useless on the web.

OR you could just ignore those posts and stop bitching and whining about it. and you didn't "ask for what you wanted." you employed a rather clever (note the sarcasm) trick to make it seem like a bigger deal that it was.

get over it.
  • scot88 wrote:
    OR you could just ignore those posts and stop bitching and whining about it. and you didn't "ask for what you wanted." you employed a rather clever (note the sarcasm) trick to make it seem like a bigger deal that it was.

get over it.

it wouldn't be a bigger deal if you were capable of holding your $0.02 and leaving it alone as it was meant to be.
  • Novawind wrote:
    Hey guys, what happened here? This was always a place where I thought people could get help with all things music and gear related. Why is everyone becoming so hostile over something as trivial as threads? We'll make a sticky and bam, problem solved. Notice how there are very few, if any, threads relating to Pearl Jam tabs since the GTW sticky got put up. I understand that some people are tired of answering the same questions about pedal order in particular, but screaming at people telling them to search won't answer their question, and it will drive them away, and the forum won't be any better for it.

I'm not screaming at anyone. I don't think any of us are. It's just that encouraging use of the search function repeatedly by many of us hasn't worked.

It did become a Sticky. I sent Kat a PM earlier in the day to have Ian's thread made into one. So to Scot88, yes... yes I did ask for something, and I did get it. Fuck You.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i think the sticky is a great idea and people should use the search alot more. but in the same token, sometimes people have personal questions about their pedal order. for example, sometimes people like a phaser right after their wah, so people may be curious to see what majority said when they listed their exact pedal. and for some things such as the digitech whammy or other odd pedals, people may want to know what category exactly that falls under and where people may put it. everyone is different and doesnt follow the typical pedal chain. so people like lsiting their exact set of pedals and looking at what most people say for those pedals, not neccassarily always using the typical order. maybe someone has a certain opinion they want to share about placing one of the thread creator's pedals. i know thats what i did when i made my pedal order thread. of course i knew the typical pedal order and all that. BUT the good thing is, now people can post all those specific questions on the sticky. :) honestly though, all the bumping and strong comments is just stupid. in a part of the forum (maybe the only on the pit) that never has problems, now caused a big commotion. oh well. at least everyone has the sticky now.

hehe now people are probobly going to look for things in the search for fucking days until they find it in fear to make a thread.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Novawind wrote:

Hi Novawind. It is a place where people can get help. This has been blown way out of proportion by people jumping in and hurling abuse. In my post about it i was very careful not to offend anyone because that was not my intention. It's a really good point about the sticky, and thanks to GivenToCarve for organizing that. You may not all agree with GivenToCarve bumping those threads but i'm sure he did not mean any malice as a result of it. Einstein could see that he was only trying to show how frustrating it can be sometimes. Come on people, he's a good guy, you read his posts right? It is not in his character to deliberately rock the boat.
    hehe now people are probobly going to look for things in the search for fucking days until they find it in fear to make a thread.
    Oh for fucks sake. I give up.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    Oh for fucks sake. I give up.

haha c'mon! it was a joke.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
    haha c'mon! it was a joke.
    yar i know. i'm just worried that is what people might do now, and it upsets me because that was not anyones intention. i'm over this anyway. i'm gonna go find me my own message board, with beer and blackjack and hookers. Well maybe not the hookers ;)
  • Okay, so maybe I went a little overboard. Maybe not. Maybe I'm speaking for a lot of us. That's 12 threads right there. There were others that touched on the same topic, but these 12 were the most blatantly obvious. Any more, and I'm starting a petition to rename this section of the forum "Groundhog Day".

i personally will start whatever kind of thread i want to start and won't be asking your permission before hand...the idea is whoever wants to join in can, and whoever doesn't ignores, regardless of the topic

not everyone is as knowledgeable on topics as you, or even me for that matter...there are plenty of thread on the porch like "what is Alive about?"...i ignore them and let others with a similar knowledge level participate in them

sorry we have all ignored your advice for how we should use the search function...i will continue to participate however i damn well please

and you are just as guilty of being an "internet tough guy" as anyone else, myself included!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Pj_Gurl wrote:
    yar i know. i'm just worried that is what people might do now, and it upsets me because that was not anyones intention. i'm over this anyway. i'm gonna go find me my own message board, with beer and blackjack and hookers. Well maybe not the hookers ;)
    I'll take the hookers...they can do my homework!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • jesus... i VERY rarely come into the musicians and gearheads section but i was bored on the porch... are all these pedal threads serious?!? i dont get why people would buy all these expensive fuckin things if they dont know enough about them to organize them... having more shit doesnt make you sound better people... do your hw before you invest instead of coming in here and flooding it with a million threads...

guess i wont find anything to entertain me in here either :p
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    I'm not screaming at anyone. I don't think any of us are. It's just that encouraging use of the search function repeatedly by many of us hasn't worked.

It did become a Sticky. I sent Kat a PM earlier in the day to have Ian's thread made into one. So to Scot88, yes... yes I did ask for something, and I did get it. Fuck You.

So, you sent Kat a PM asking her to sticky ian's thread, yet you continued to bump all the other ones?

Seems like you should have waited for a reply.

Don't get me wrong. I don't really care either way about the topic, but I just thought it was unnecessary to bump ALL the threads about the topic.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Everybody chill out. This is not what this board is about. We're about music and gear here, not semantics and protocol. If Pete Townshend didn't need rules, we don't need 'em either. Sit back and discuss music, please!
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • scot88 wrote:
    So, you sent Kat a PM asking her to sticky ian's thread, yet you continued to bump all the other ones?

Seems like you should have waited for a reply.

Don't get me wrong. I don't really care either way about the topic, but I just thought it was unnecessary to bump ALL the threads about the topic.

Bumping all of those threads was my way of showing how irritating it can get. Yeah, yeah I know... "If you don't like it, don't read it." It's not that simple. I mosey around on the forum a lot and I think keeping shut up and being pretentious about it will only lead to frustrating more people. If you want a change, you've gotta make it happen. I look and post on here a lot (that's in no way implying some sort of seniority) and I don't like to see it spiral downwards.

I know I definitely said what a lot of people were thinking.

I tried to make it clear that I wasn't out to offend anyone, and I'm not calling out any of the people who have made these threads in the past (even though that may have happened anyway). It's more of a "For future reference," type of thing.

Anyway, what I did was meant for good. Some people like to call out others and tag me as the bad guy, because that's easy when they're on the sideline of the issue. Well, now that it's a sticky and I think I've made the idea clear that the pedal order thing can be pretty repetitive, it'll probably change for the better. And even for those of you disagree with what I did, you will be less irritated in the future thanks to it. Go ahead and call me an asshole, but I said what you wouldn't.

I didn't expect any responses to this thread. Especially from some of the veterans on the board who even went on to call me out, when I know you were feeling the same way.

Not too long ago, a certain veteran of the board even started a thread basically saying "What the hell has happened to this board?" It was more about how he's getting called out on his credibility as an artist, but I know that he's feeling the same frustrations as I am... seeing the same shit on here every day. Stuff like "Epiphone Les Paul or Squier Strat?" and such. I said what some of you wouldn't, and I don't think it was malicious as some made it out to be. The problem is, it wasn't meant to turn in to an all day long feud as it did. Some people just can't take things for what they are. They have to take a side to get involved for some kind of thrill.

Anyways, I'm done on the issue. If you're another person who wants to tell me to "Shut the fuck up" or whatever, you're wasting your breath. You're not going to elicit a response.

• I know I definitely said what a lot of people were thinking.

I don't wanna keep this going but I gotta agree with you, dude. I'm one of the people who doesn't see you as an asshole and I'm sure three other vets on this board were annoyed as well. You've got support.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy