PRS Guitars

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
A lot of ppl look at PRS guitars as an ideal purchase. "If you've got a PRS, you've got your dream guitar" is kind of the feeling i get from others, but i haven't seen much love or talk about them on here. What are your thoughts?
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    A lot of ppl look at PRS guitars as an ideal purchase. "If you've got a PRS, you've got your dream guitar" is kind of the feeling i get from others, but i haven't seen much love or talk about them on here. What are your thoughts?

Nice playing guitars, well made, fairly decent price for the money, good "player" guitars in that they gig well. They sound great, feel pretty good. Nice wood, occasionally it could be said they get kind of gaudy. They are solid all around guitars. I just haven't really wanted one badly in about 5 or more years. Mesa Boogie is another company that got really popular and it's not like I have anything against either, they just aren't that intriging to me anymore. I don't really have any gripes, I just don't have much to say about them.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • J.D.J.D. Posts: 73
    Being a bit older, nobody who I count as an influence ever wielded a PRS. So I never felt the need to give them a try.

For better or worse, I have never even held one so I can't comment on how they play, sound and feel.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    PRS makes great guitars, hands down. For a production-run guitar, they are unbelievable, they kick the ass of almost any off-the-line Gibson. Great quality control, great wood selection, awesome pickup designs. Why don't I play one? Because that guitar is immediately associated with all of the jackass nu-metal guitarmageddon wannabes. No, thanks, I'd rather play Peavey. You ask me, Mark Tremonti killed PRS' image.

The same can be said for Mesa Boogie... amazing amps, but since the Dual and Triple Rectifier series, I wouldn't want that logo behind me. Sad, a lot of their earlier amps were pretty frickin' sweet.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    PRS:

Looks great.

Feels great.

Sounds like shit.

I am a huge Widespread Panic fan. When the lead guitarist started playing a PRS, I began to hate the music.

Too me, everything sounds like that fucking annoying Santana song with the Matchbox20 guy.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • nickydeannickydean Posts: 40
    I have a friend that is a master builder in the Fender's Nashville branch. He's played some kickass guitars over the years, but he always goes back to PRS.

Then again, he is a huge Rush fan. So keep that in mind.
  • PRS is good at thier sound, the over creamy santana sound, anyone who likes that woudl like the PRS. Like peopel above ^^ mentioned, its a plaers guitar. People who want that specific tone, feel, etc, want a PRS. As far as music versatility goes it doesn't branch out nearly as far as fender or gibson, and thats why alot of peopel use fender and gibson. Pearl Jam is a great example, They can play thier heaviest, hardest songs on les pauls, then turn around and play thier lightest slowest ballads on the same guitar. PRS is a one trick pony, but if you like the trick, you'll love the pony.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • nickydeannickydean Posts: 40
    if you like the trick, you'll love the pony.

Best ever.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    nickydean wrote:
    Best ever.
    +1
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    You ask me, Mark Tremonti killed PRS' image.

i disagree....i'd give that title to hoobastank or nickelback....at least tremonti can actually play his
  • JSP552003 wrote:
    i disagree....i'd give that title to hoobastank or nickelback....at least tremonti can actually play his

Hoobastank and Nickelback are also reason why rock is absolutly nowhere these days. Thank god their fan base is not huge.
    Keep on Rockin'
    Hoobastank and Nickelback are also reason why rock is absolutly nowhere these days. Thank god their fan base is not huge.

Dude, it is. They're at the top of the charts. We have the loyal fans.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    PRS is in my back yard. I have played dozens over the years, but have never been comfortable enough with the neck contours to buy one. I also do not care for the pickups, or the thick plastic-like finish.

They are the best of the big 3 IMO, but for my money, I can get something hand made to my specifications, and be much happier :)
    How do you find custom builders? (noob question).
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    Hoobastank and Nickelback are also reason why rock is absolutly nowhere these days.

dang right....and if you havent heard it (sorry i don't have the link) but there's a website for nickelback that puts 'how you remind me' in your left speaker and 'someday' in your right (or the other way around...you get the idea) and they match up perfectly....its good for a laugh
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    How do you find custom builders? (noob question).

ask people, word of mouf. look around, ask guitar techs, go to small out of the way shops....etc. etc.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    +1

+1 again
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    They're not talked about here much because PJ has never used PRS. Mainly you're paying extra money for fancy wood, cosmetics, inlays, etc. But PRS guitars are very beautiful.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?