Just got my Traynor! BUT,

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm having a few problems/questions and I'm desparate for help.

1. When i touch my strings, and/or press down right on the fret, i hear some clicking sounds. Kind of like when you initially tap the input an instrument cable on a piece of metal while it's plugged in and the amp is on.

2. When i set the amp down, even very gently, there is somewhat of a tinny rattling sound as if something may be loose. I checked everything i could touch to see if that was it, but i think it's within the (excuse my lack of terminology) "electronics box just under the controls, or at the top of the amp).

3. When i turn the amp off, either in standby or the on position, i hear a typical sound when shutting off an amp, only it's extremely loud.

I just want to know if i can fix/minimize any of these problems, and if they are all related. Also, how serious they may be and what it might do to my bank to fix them. I have practically no experience with tube amps. Thanks in advance.

- GTC
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    2. the reverb tank spring jiggling. normal.

1. just sounds like grounding. not sure if it's an issue.

3. that doesn't happen with my fender but i've little experience with traynors.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    does the amp have reverb?

it could be an issue with the reverb tank. (the gold box with the wires coming out of it under the controls.) Some of those popping sounds are normal, just the spring rattling. It sounds kind of like a slinky (because the reverb tank has 3 springs in it, when they bang toegther, that's the sound you get.

It could also be some dust, or some kind of broken wire or loosened fittings that occured during shipping. I'd turn it off and make sure all the tubes are seated properly first.

You can get some contact cleaner from your local radio shack or music shop "deoxit" etc that you can use to clean the input jacks of dust and "gunk" it works pretty well usually to help with connection problems. If that's what it is.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • The amp does have reverb.

The grounding problem only concerns me because it's quite loud, even with the volume on the guitar and amp low.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    How do you like the amp other than that?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • How do you like the amp other than that?

Very pleased. I'm gonna crank it up in about an hour and a half when my neighbors are all awake. I'm a college student in an apt. so I'd be quite an asshole to wake anyone before noon. I've been trying to get some overdrive out of it, but it seems to stay pretty clean no matter the settings. I guess I'll just need a pedal for it. I'm looking at the OCD's lately.

Turns out the grounding thing was just a bad cord. I hadn't used the cord in a few years so I didn't factor that in. Also, the question i had about shutting it off kind of answered itself after i put it on standby for a minute, then shut it off. Most of my questions were pretty silly and self explainatory cuz I'm just getting used to having a tube amp, or any electrical gear in general. As long as the rattling of the reverb springs is normal, I guess I'm fully satisfied.

Big thanks to every1 on the forum for your advice and recommendations. I bought this Traynor before ever actually hearing one, just based off what I had read from you guys and some site reviews.

-GTC
  • I was gonna guess a bad cable... damn.

And I was also gonna guess using "Standby". Damn.

You should always let a tube amp warm up and cool down on Standby for about a minute, every time you use it. Power it up, but leave it on stand-by for a minute, I usually tune up during this time, and then crank it on. Then, when you're done, put it on standby for a minute, I use this time to unplug the guitar and put it down, and then shut it off. Also, it's a good idea to leave a tube amp plugged in to the wall for a minute or so after powering off completely, this allows the capacitors to drain off any remaining voltage to the outlet. All of these things will extend the life of your amp's tubes, and the amp as a whole, so it's a good idea to get into good habits early.

Have fun!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I was gonna guess a bad cable... damn.

You should always let a tube amp warm up and cool down on Standby for about a minute, every time you use it. Power it up, but leave it on stand-by for a minute, I usually tune up during this time, and then crank it on. Then, when you're done, put it on standby for a minute, I use this time to unplug the guitar and put it down, and then shut it off. Also, it's a good idea to leave a tube amp plugged in to the wall for a minute or so after powering off completely, this allows the capacitors to drain off any remaining voltage to the outlet. All of these things will extend the life of your amp's tubes, and the amp as a whole, so it's a good idea to get into good habits early.

Have fun!

It's my guitar actually. I gotta go get the wiring checked out. Say, if i slide without picking the string, you hear a lot of sounds. Anyone know if i can do damage to the amp by playing with my guitar like that?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I was gonna guess a bad cable... damn.

Have fun!

When your amp is on standby, the tubes are fully powered, just the input signal is cut, so I'm gonna disagree that putting back on standby before you turn off will allow a cooldown of any sort, not that it is needed. Tubes just don't get that hot.
    Also, leaving it plugged into the wall after you finish playing will not drain voltage to the socket. There are just so many things wrong with that statement. It will in fact ensure that the capacitors have a full charge. However, continuing to play for a bit after you turn off will drain the capacitance from your amp. You will hear the sound fizzle out as this happens. Don't worry so much about your amp, they really aren't that fragile. So long as you don't launch it out a window, I doubt you will harm it. They don't like to get too hot though, leads to dry solders on the circuit board, so allowing air circulation behind it is good, even a fan if your room gets hot.
    Music is not a competetion.