ATTENTION Guitar players. advice needed

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm on the virge of purchasing an American Deluxe Telecaster.

What should be my deciding factors on whether or not I want a maple or rosewood fretboard?
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cjb5790cjb5790 Posts: 190
    Looks mainly...What feels better in your palm.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Maple. Without a doubt.

Looks cleaner, slides easier than rosewood.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • CanvasAdamCanvasAdam Posts: 134
    go rosewood, it plays faster to me.
    1998... 9/3
    2000... 8/7, 8/15, 11/5, 11/6
    2001... 10/20, 10/21, 10/22
    2002... 12/8, 12/9
    2003... 4/9, 4/18, 4/19, 7/8, 7/9
    2004... 10/6, 10/8
    2006... 5/16, 5/17, 5/30
    2008... EV Solo 4/12, 4/13, 4/16
    2008... PJ 6/14, 7/12
    2008... Stone Solo 10/11
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    You'll get more of the traditional tele "twang" out of the maple board as it gives better treble response, putting back some of the highs you lose with those noiseless pickups.
  • Spend plenty of time playing both. Your fingers will tell You.
    I personally like maple, but plenty of people prefer rosewood.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    looks,tone,feel maple/ebony are brighter in tone and harder to the touch.

Rosewood is softer and warmer. It's up to you to spend some time with both in an amp similar to what you play through and get a good feel for each. There is no real wrong choice.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    I have nothing but MAPLE on my Fenders, i simply love the sound and feeling of maple boards!
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • ruderude Posts: 14
    Depending on the neck...there is a HUGE HUGE HUGE Variability between each and every Fender neck. Maple vs. rosewood....or even ebony must be held! Depending on the (1.) radius of the neck--how fat or thin is this thing and how does it feel in your size hand? Is the back of it shaped like a 'V' or a 'c' -- that matters a lot as well., (2.) the fret finish and width--will determine how the guitar plays, how easily you can note or bend each string, and the (3.) back of the neck.....satin finish or in some cases 'unfinished' or varnished and 'slick' but requiring some wax to keep it fast.

You should play as many as you can before you buy--you will know when you meet the right one. My own personal collection includes a Telecaster with a 9.5" radius maple neck. It is one amazing piece of work...I stuck a Tommy Iommi Gibson humbucker in the neck position and a great Bill Lawrence single coil at the bridge....add to that a 5-way splitter and you have some really intense tones coming from that 'swamp ash' body......(another decision is which material to use for the body...alder or ash) -- pick a winner --
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    rude wrote:
    Depending on the neck...there is a HUGE HUGE HUGE Variability between each and every Fender neck. Maple vs. rosewood....or even ebony must be held! Depending on the (1.) radius of the neck--how fat or thin is this thing and how does it feel in your size hand? Is the back of it shaped like a 'V' or a 'c' -- that matters a lot as well., (2.) the fret finish and width--will determine how the guitar plays, how easily you can note or bend each string, and the (3.) back of the neck.....satin finish or in some cases 'unfinished' or varnished and 'slick' but requiring some wax to keep it fast.

You should play as many as you can before you buy--you will know when you meet the right one. My own personal collection includes a Telecaster with a 9.5" radius maple neck. It is one amazing piece of work...I stuck a Tommy Iommi Gibson humbucker in the neck position and a great Bill Lawrence single coil at the bridge....add to that a 5-way splitter and you have some really intense tones coming from that 'swamp ash' body......(another decision is which material to use for the body...alder or ash) -- pick a winner --

yeah, that's my problem, I spent about 5 years playing EVERYTHING!! I wound up with a neck I'm quite happy with, but at the same time, I might very well order another neck too. I kind of want a 10" to go along with my 7.5" If I get some kind of hollowbody tele or something like that I'm going to go for some kind of tree trunk. But it'd be great to find a 335 with the fat 50's profile in some kind of reasonable price range.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ruderude Posts: 14
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah, that's my problem, I spent about 5 years playing EVERYTHING!! I wound up with a neck I'm quite happy with, but at the same time, I might very well order another neck too. I kind of want a 10" to go along with my 7.5" If I get some kind of hollowbody tele or something like that I'm going to go for some kind of tree trunk. But it'd be great to find a 335 with the fat 50's profile in some kind of reasonable price range.

Dont'cha love having problems like that! Something about that fat 9.5 makes the guitar able to note really well, but when you come down on it Townsend style or in the vein of the harder/faster stuff...the chords have a lot of power. I love it. It is one ugly instrument though. I should post a pic. Does this place accept attachments?
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    rude wrote:
    I should post a pic. Does this place accept attachments?

Unfortunately, no. We usually just upload them elsewhere and provide a link.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    looks,tone,feel maple/ebony are brighter in tone and harder to the touch.

Rosewood is softer and warmer. It's up to you to spend some time with both in an amp similar to what you play through and get a good feel for each. There is no real wrong choice.

Paco, when you were trying those out, did you have any issues with the rosewood? When my buddy was trying out tele's for three days straight practically, and narrowed it down to the american deluxe, it seemd like the rosewood grains were actually seperating. And this was on every rosewood american deluxe that we could get our hands on at three different stores. He ended up going with the maple because of it (him and I are both huge rosewood fans too). Wonder if it was just a bad batch or something.

Just curious if you noticed it.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Paco, when you were trying those out, did you have any issues with the rosewood? When my buddy was trying out tele's for three days straight practically, and narrowed it down to the american deluxe, it seemd like the rosewood grains were actually seperating. And this was on every rosewood american deluxe that we could get our hands on at three different stores. He ended up going with the maple because of it (him and I are both huge rosewood fans too). Wonder if it was just a bad batch or something.

Just curious if you noticed it.

How does your buddy feel about his maple American Deluxe? Also... what color did he get it in?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • moemoe6434 wrote:
    I have nothing but MAPLE on my Fenders, i simply love the sound and feeling of maple boards!

ditto

10 characters

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19