Epiphone or Mex/Jap Fender???

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I had planned on getting a Fender American Tele, but due to recent financial issues brought to my attention, I need to save a buck. My question is...

Does anyone have an opinion on which lower end guitars are generally better? An Epiphone Les Paul/SG or Fender Mex/Jap Tele or Strat? If we're talking price range... i'll say $500 or so.
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I've said this before, May I reccomend a Godin Freeway Classic or Godin SD? IMO they combine the best attributes of both guitars, are made in Canada/USA, and are just brilliant.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • well I can't speak for an Epiphone (PearlJamToast can though)...

I have a mexican fat strat, its fuckin great! i love it...deffinantly worth the money....the only problem with the mexican made fenders are that you should play them out before you buy it because some of them are better than others and some are worse than others...
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i like the godin recommendation.

i like epiphone semi-hollow and hollow bodies but i find their les pauls/SGs cheesy.

but strat/tele vs. paul/SG is an apples and oranges kind of thing.

fender has lots of cool models in their japan/mexico production.

quality wise.

japanese fender > mexican fender > epiphone pauls/SGs.
  • Forgot to add...

If you buy an Epiphone Elitist guitar...then that wins, but that is more money!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I dont mean to be an asshole but its like asking what should you buy, the latest crytopsy album or a nice paco de lucia album, it depends what you like and the sound you are going for. I have a mexican strat and part from a few niggles (intonation, dodgy trem) I love it. Its the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. on the other hand, I sometimes I wish I had more beef for rhythm and have to resort to my crappy Les Paul copy.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I dont mean to be an asshole but its like asking what should you buy, the latest crytopsy album or a nice paco de lucia album, it depends what you like and the sound you are going for. I have a mexican strat and part from a few niggles (intonation, dodgy trem) I love it. Its the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. on the other hand, I sometimes I wish I had more beef for rhythm and have to resort to my crappy Les Paul copy.
    I agree. I have an American Telecaster and love it. But what you get should depend on the sound you want. Gibsons with heavier gauge strings give you the fuller sound, but you sacrafice ease in bending them. Where as Fenders tend to come with lighter gauge strings, which don't give as full a sound, but you can bend strings easier, if thats what you want to do. You can of course get the neck adjusted for higher gauge strings, but that's more money spent.
    Play before you buy too, don't want to spend money on a guitar that sounds like crap.