Mike's New Yellow Gibson DC

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is Mike's new Gibson Les Paul (used in the SNL and VH1 versions of WWS) really the faded gibson les paul doublecut? I looked this guitar up on a few websites and it sells for $769. I've heard of bang for your buck, but wouldn't the great Mike McCready's version be a little more custom?
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    mike's is a single pickup, les paul jr. it's original i would image so, late 50s. but maybe it's a new custom shop one. i don't know.

http://pearljam.com/i/tourphotos/20060524/3.jpg

that one right?

however, that new DC with the P90s is awesome and would have somewhat similar character.

gibson's custom shop is making a $$$$ reissue of the one like mike's.
    http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/58Junior_DC/1958Junior.html
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    exhausted wrote:
    gibson's custom shop is making a $$$$ reissue of the one like mike's.
    http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/58Junior_DC/1958Junior.html

Thats the one I want. One pickup, no muss, no fuss.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    around $2K US i think based on the price of the two pickup model. not bad considering. i was expecting it to be more.
    exhausted wrote:
    around $2K US i think based on the price of the two pickup model. not bad considering. i was expecting it to be more.

2 G's is right on the money. The only problem would be finding one to play before one buys.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    that is one nice guitar, but id go with a sg classic before that(much cheper
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Mikes Double Cut is not the historic Reissue, but a vintage piece. They run 15K today!

If you really want one, pop over to Guitarsale.com, check out the VOS and give them a call John or Jason are great and they have a return policy. The VOS DC's are about as good as you can get for the money.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    I purchased the double cutaway because of its affordability and nice tone. The only bad thing is the tuners, but....changing tuners is never a bad idea IMO. I love the tone of it, the look, the feel, so it's a great buy.

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
    JofZ wrote:
    Mikes Double Cut is not the historic Reissue, but a vintage piece. They run 15K today!

If you really want one, pop over to Guitarsale.com, check out the VOS and give them a call John or Jason are great and they have a return policy. The VOS DC's are about as good as you can get for the money.

Thanks for the site. I kind of had a feeling that Mike's was the real deal.
    moster78 wrote:
    Thanks for the site. I kind of had a feeling that Mike's was the real deal.

Mike has great taste when it comes to guitars :)
    He has a couple re-issues, but it is a safe bet if it is in his pit, then it is the real deal!
    Of all the superdealers, Guitarsale is the only one I trust.
    If you want to go vintage, check out Marks Guitar Loft. Mark Bishop is as honest as they come and he has been getting some great old wood. He has a jr and an SG jr right now for a good deal.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I checked out the $769 reissue at Guitar Center yesterday after starting this thread, and the Faded Yellow finish looks awful in person. I'm sure the custom shop and Mike's vintage LP Jr. look a lot better. I think I'm gonna go for the MIM 70's strat in arctic white instead.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I checked out the $769 reissue at Guitar Center yesterday after starting this thread, and the Faded Yellow finish looks awful in person. I'm sure the custom shop and Mike's vintage LP Jr. look a lot better. I think I'm gonna go for the MIM 70's strat in arctic white instead.

Jimi lives on!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    the finish looks "awful"...

well it's gibsons way of saying "faded" with a "worn" look aka a way to make a gibson for under $1000.

Personally i think it looks cool, especially for my collection which consists of a lot of sunburts and not much variety in color haha.

I really happen to dig the guitar for what it is and happen to really enjoy the tone too...to each his own.

But i would recommend it to anyone though. It is a nice guitar!

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
    JofZ wrote:
    Mike has great taste when it comes to guitars :)
    He has a couple re-issues, but it is a safe bet if it is in his pit, then it is the real deal!
    Of all the superdealers, Guitarsale is the only one I trust.
    If you want to go vintage, check out Marks Guitar Loft. Mark Bishop is as honest as they come and he has been getting some great old wood. He has a jr and an SG jr right now for a good deal.

I've checked out Mark's Guitar Loft too, although those prices are a bit too steep!
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    MIke is holding that guitar in the band photo in the ROlling Stone article. you can tell from the wear on the headstock that it is definitely not a new guitar.

as I side note, I think that is the same type guitar that Todd Lewis of the Toadies plays.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Jimi lives on!

and you can bet your ass i'll never set mine on fire
    It is so crazy to see all this hype over the Jr's :)
    To think 18 months ago you could have bought a DC in minth condition for less then 7K and now they are over 15K must tell you something. The fact is for many years these were the budget vintage guitars. Most didn't want them, then some guy who played for Green Day made it huge and the market went nutz :)
    Pop on over to the les paul forum, some of those guys have 20+.
    They are great guitars and even better slide guitars. Are they worth the current ask? Not a chance which is why they aren't moving anymore. Gibson was smart by offering a VOS Jr line, the guitars are built well for a change.

If you want the real deal, check out a 59 Melody Maker, you can still snatch up un-fugazi pieces for around 2K and they will just appreciate.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    JofZ wrote:
    It is so crazy to see all this hype over the Jr's :)
    To think 18 months ago you could have bought a DC in minth condition for less then 7K and now they are over 15K must tell you something. The fact is for many years these were the budget vintage guitars. Most didn't want them, then some guy who played for Green Day made it huge and the market went nutz :)
    Pop on over to the les paul forum, some of those guys have 20+.
    They are great guitars and even better slide guitars. Are they worth the current ask? Not a chance which is why they aren't moving anymore. Gibson was smart by offering a VOS Jr line, the guitars are built well for a change.

If you want the real deal, check out a 59 Melody Maker, you can still snatch up un-fugazi pieces for around 2K and they will just appreciate.

Melody Maker = Awesome. It's basically just a slab, but wow they sound good and feel good with two duncan 59's installed, or with P90's what have you, they are still pretty cheap in some places. I had fun with one while I was helping a new owner of a AC30CC dial it in and get a decent recording tone.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Melody Maker = Awesome. It's basically just a slab, but wow they sound good and feel good with two duncan 59's installed, or with P90's what have you, they are still pretty cheap in some places. I had fun with one while I was helping a new owner of a AC30CC dial it in and get a decent recording tone.

Yep, I like them! Nothing to em, but if you find the right one watch out!
    If guys really like the Jrs and are going to spend 2K on a reissue I would try and talk them into the Melody, much better investment and you always learn something from a second hand guitar ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Went back to the same guitar center where I originally tried the $760 "faded" version, and they had a used custom shop version of the same guitar. What a difference.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    DO NOT spend 2 grand on that reissue when you can get a sick korina jr fof almost half of that. Check THIS out

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=195596&highlight=Hamer

Pound for pound, the Hamer Korina Jr. will wipe the floor with any Gibson reissue.

Not mine, but I've played one...damned thing nearly vibrated right out of my hands. Resonant and HUGE sounding. :)
  • i'm kicking myself for not buying one of these a couple of years ago for 4 or 5 grand. are they really going for 15 grand now? YIKES!! my uncle has one. his is a 57. what year is mike's?

man, my uncle does not even play the guitar anymore. i wonder if he knows it's worth almost 15,000 now? "hey uncle... i'll give you 6 grand for that guitar that just sits in the closet!" haha!!
    I have the CS version of the 58 JR DC, and it is one sweet guitar. The sustain on the thing is incredible. Worth 2K? I don't know, I paid less, thankfully.