"Down By The River" and "Alive" solos in same Key?

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited March 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone know what Key DBTR is in (the solo) if it's not the same as Alive. A friend and I were just jammin' to DBTR and in the solo i ran out of ideas so i started jammin on the part of the alive solo that goes...

---12-15-12---12-15-12-15b17

...and most of it from there on. It seemed to fit.
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I'm pretty much sure they are, yes. if I remember, the key of Alive's chorus (which the solo is played over) is Em. and DBTR is in the key of Em7 (again, if memory serves me correctly). so the Em pentatonic would work for both.
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    I'm pretty much sure they are, yes. if I remember, the key of Alive's chorus (which the solo is played over) is Em. and DBTR is in the key of Em7 (again, if memory serves me correctly). so the Em pentatonic would work for both.
    Yep. Same key.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    The guitar solo in "Five to One" by the doors always reminded me of the alive solo
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQ wrote:
    The guitar solo in "Five to One" by the doors always reminded me of the alive solo

That's because Ace Frehley ripped that solo for 'She' by Kiss, and Mike ripped the Alive solo from 'She'. He says it in interviews all the time.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    That's because Ace Frehley ripped that solo for 'She' by Kiss, and Mike ripped the Alive solo from 'She'. He says it in interviews all the time.

wow you're right! I can't believe i've never noticed the kiss solo until now!

on Mccready's side though I think he took the five to one solo and evolved it into something even more powerful.. the kiss solo just sounds like more of a note to note rip off
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Is the key of a song always the first chord of the chorus?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Is the key of a song always the first chord of the chorus?

not necessarily, it is sometimes the last chord. and it could be in the key of whatever the verse is in. but in most of the songs I've messed with, yeah, usually the chorus.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    i remember mike saying something along the lines of 'i copied the solo from she which was copied from 5 to 1, but i made it better'

so he took it and copied it and made it even better. alive solo belongs in the top 20 guitar solos of all time imo

oh also, its not just Em its E blues scale :p

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    MLC2006 wrote:
    not necessarily, it is sometimes the last chord. and it could be in the key of whatever the verse is in. but in most of the songs I've messed with, yeah, usually the chorus.
    In Bloom-Nirvana
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Is it me or do Breath and Alive have very similar solos?
  • Dogman3 wrote:
    Is it me or do Breath and Alive have very similar solos?
    They do, and as a matter of fact Mike uses a lot of the same riffs in each.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    No wonder, both solos kick equal amounts of ass :)