Got $28,000 to be like Mike?

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Holy... Shit...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    i could never play a guitar like that, i just take it out of the case, lay down next to it, look over every now and then and call it bitch.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • ledhed43 wrote:
    i could never play a guitar like that, i just take it out of the case, lay down next to it, look over every now and then and call it bitch.

If I paid that much, I'd play it every day!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • If I paid that much, I'd play it every day!

I'd have to attach an artificial vagina to it somewhere so i wouldn't get splinters.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • holy shit... is this for real?!?

$28,000 is a hell of a good price for a '59 strat. in that condition, it could probably go for $50,000.

is that really the original paint? that's amazing if it is. i mean, i know it says it is... but... wow... that's all i can say...

the '59 strat is my holy grail. anyone wanna lend me $28,000?
  • I'd have to attach an artificial vagina to it somewhere so i wouldn't get splinters.

yeah, they sell those at guitar center now...
  • yeah, they sell those at guitar center now...

it's cool i got about 20 used ones in my sock drawer.

too much?
  • you say i could beat mike in a guitar off using this guitar?... hmm... ill have to stop by the ATM on my way back from the bar...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • it's cool i got about 20 used ones in my sock drawer.

too much?

a little, yeah.

and it might hurt the re-sell value if you try to install one on your guitar.
  • Incredibly expensive vintage guitars are starting to piss me off, they're not any better than a new reissue or whatever.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Finally, a strat subject again! ive been dying here.

Well, i examined the pictures for about 30 minutes, and somethign quite suprising jumped out at me when i was through...

...its legit.

this is probly the most original guitar i have ever seen for sale online. it blew me away how it is in such a good condition and original. Even the plastics are correct, as Fender switched halfway through the production year to ABS from Polyurothane ( 'bakelite' ) which fades to yellow over time. This is definately a correct strat,a nd could pull well into the 70's at auction. Not only is this a great instrument, its a great investment, and from the pictures, this thing is 100% real, and even more suprising, untampered.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Kind of a silly question but, when someone (other than Mike McCready) buys a guitar like that.... is it treated as a collector's item or played often?
  • Kind of a silly question but, when someone (other than Mike McCready) buys a guitar like that.... is it treated as a collector's item or played often?

im sure mike has a room full of guitars he doesnt play, and the he obviously has about 15 that hit the road with him as well. But it would depend on the buyer. If the buyer is an investor, he woudl treat the guitar as an investment, and more than likely sell it within 5 years at a higher price. If the person was a guitar lover with alot of money, im sure they would keep it for longer, and possibly play it just for kicks. But a guitar lover will allways find another thing they like, and i think they would probably sell, or trade it in the end, probly within 5-10 years again. I think someone who would treat it properly is someone who couldnt afford it comfortable, but bought it, and knowing that it is such a special intstrument, they woudl keep it. A person who wants a guitar to play, and will pay the price, will more than likely rat bag the shit out if it just like any other guitar. It depends on the type of purchase i geuss, to decide what future is in hand for the guitar. I think people have an easier time hanging onto vintage amps.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • im sure mike has a room full of guitars he doesnt play, and the he obviously has about 15 that hit the road with him as well. But it would depend on the buyer. If the buyer is an investor, he woudl treat the guitar as an investment, and more than likely sell it within 5 years at a higher price. If the person was a guitar lover with alot of money, im sure they would keep it for longer, and possibly play it just for kicks. But a guitar lover will allways find another thing they like, and i think they would probably sell, or trade it in the end, probly within 5-10 years again. I think someone who would treat it properly is someone who couldnt afford it comfortable, but bought it, and knowing that it is such a special intstrument, they woudl keep it. A person who wants a guitar to play, and will pay the price, will more than likely rat bag the shit out if it just like any other guitar. It depends on the type of purchase i geuss, to decide what future is in hand for the guitar. I think people have an easier time hanging onto vintage amps.

I'm often pretty clumsy with guitars so i don't think i'd pull it out of the case much. I've never played a vintage guitar so it's hard for me to say that it's worth all the money, but i can only imagine what it feels like. Would you say it's like picking up an old baseball glove that's perfectly broken in?
  • I'm often pretty clumsy with guitars so i don't think i'd pull it out of the case much. I've never played a vintage guitar so it's hard for me to say that it's worth all the money, but i can only imagine what it feels like. Would you say it's like picking up an old baseball glove that's perfectly broken in?

its more like sitting in yoru old neighbors classic car, and hes the original owner, and you have seen him polish it for hours and hours as you grow up, and then one day you finally go over and ask for a ride, and he takes you, then the next week he passes away, and that car just sits in the garage and you stare at it through the window, knowing you'll never be able to sit in it again, and you'll never be able to afford to buy it for yourself. that is kind of what its like.

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    so then i have to ask why he's priced it so low when it's obviously worth so much more.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    why is it so low?

That would have been a fair price a couple of years ago I'd think he's giving the TGP discount, just going off the pics, it should be over 30 in value easily. That is a very very well taken care of guitar for a 59 at least that's what it looks like from the paint. I'd play it although any parts that are replaced would decrease the value....still I bet she sounds fantastic but unfortunately it's kind of impossible without playing it to tell if it's a great player or a bust. I've played tremendous 65's and horrid 54's. The 54 at the time was around 20K the 65 was around 6k.

The good ones do feel like an old baseball glove, broken in smooth "experienced" they just feel good in your hands.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    why is it so low?

That would have been a fair price a couple of years ago I'd think he's giving the TGP discount, just going off the pics, it should be over 30 in value easily. That is a very very well taken care of guitar for a 59 at least that's what it looks like from the paint. I'd play it although any parts that are replaced would decrease the value....still I bet she sounds fantastic but unfortunately it's kind of impossible without playing it to tell if it's a great player or a bust. I've played tremendous 65's and horrid 54's. The 54 at the time was around 20K the 65 was around 6k.

The good ones do feel like an old baseball glove, broken in smooth "experienced" they just feel good in your hands.

i don't believe in the TGP discount when 10s of thousands of dollars are involved.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    i don't believe in the TGP discount when 10s of thousands of dollars are involved.

true, but it is weird to me it's under say 35K I mean he could ask whatever, maybe his purchase of the new item is around 28K. No way I'd wire a transfer either, for 28K I'm booking a flight and taking that baby back home in the planes coat closet in an ATA spec case.

My favorite strat years are 59-65 I love that 3 tone sunburst.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.

I believe Mike plays all the guitars he owns, as well as Stone. One of them stated in an interview that the reason they need so many is because different songs require altered tunings in the middle of shows.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • I believe Mike plays all the guitars he owns, as well as Stone. One of them stated in an interview that the reason they need so many is because different songs require altered tunings in the middle of shows.

i think he was referring to personal collections. i think that miek and stone (even ed) would have a collection at home, and then thier PJ guitars.

• I believe Mike plays all the guitars he owns, as well as Stone. One of them stated in an interview that the reason they need so many is because different songs require altered tunings in the middle of shows.

Don't forget different tones!