Interesting Project Guitar

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So i was talking to my friend's brother today, who used to be a huge Blink 182 fan. He has the Tom Delonge strat from a few years back in surf green and trying to sell it. One humbucker, one volume knob... that's it. I thought about how I really want a Gibson '58 LP Special for it's simplicity: one tone knob, one volume knob, one p90 pickup. Then i thought, why not rip out the shitty humbucker it's got and replace it with a different one. I could probably get the guitar and do the pickup swap for about $400 total.

Anyone with any advice, let me know if i'd just be polishing a turd with this one. Because the Tom Delonge plays pretty well but sounds like ass.
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• whoops
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    So you want to put a p90 in the strat?

My Fender-like instincts say no but I guess I'm a little curious. I would say only do it if money isn't an issue. Make your own little frankenstrat. Worst comes to worst, you could probably swap out the entire pickguard/pots and make it passable for a normal one.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I say go for it. I have a Les Paul Jr. DC, and I love the simplicity of the one pickup. No muss, no fuss, and nothing but great tone. And the thing sustains for like a year! Amazing axe.
  • it wound sound nearly as balsy as a lespaul. Lespaul pickups are buried balls deep into mahogany, fender's have floating pickups hardly surrounded by alder or ash. It will definately not sound like a lespaul. it may sound good though...

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Novawind wrote:
    So you want to put a p90 in the strat?

Not a P-90, but maybe like a Seymour Duncan 59 or Pearly Gates. It comes with a Seymour Duncan Invader which I don't like. Maybe the pickup was either designed or adjusted to sound the way it did, but it was horrible. The only thing I'm worried about is getting the guitar, changing the pickup, and having it still sound like shit. I don't know much about guitar electronics.

Also, do I order a bridge or neck pickup?