Fretboard Logic and scale advice

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I picked up the "Fretboard Logic" book after someone on here recommended it a while back. I learned all the pentatonics and am getting to the diatonics. The book lists all of the forms in which you can play the scales (E form, C form, etc.). What I'd like to know is, when playing lead, which of these should I use and when? Are some more associated with different types of music? What are your favorites for the type of music you play?
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thats a very good question. Its hard to say where the songs going and the scale type can make or break it. I like to make my solo's riffs sound similar to the singing melody, so i just play around with different stuff untill i got it. You can also blend those scales together into somethign that works for you as well. Somethign that i woudl love to take, but is not available, is song writing classes, sepcifically guitar. If you could attend a few of those specifically for writing leads, it would help you out alot. I woudl just suggest playign different scales and just going with what sounds good

by the wya, that book is the reason why i still play guitar.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Now that you mention that, i just searched it up and it was your post that recommended it. It's helped me a lot so far. I saw a band called The Bridge ( http://www.thebridgemusic.com ) about a month ago. Check them out, they're very good. After watching the guitarist's general hand positions and listening to a recording, i figured out a few main riffs. I tried doing my own soloing (after turning the volume down on my guitar so no one would here me crash and burn). I thought it was in the key of F#, but after using that book, i noticed there were a few notes that I had mistaken which made it in the key of G. After that, my solos sounded much better with the song, and I was able to figure out other parts of the song I hadn't known yet.

I'm really into a lot of jam music, and I love improv. I'm trying to get some theory in my head so I can start doing it on my own. I feel like I play very close to the scale, but I'm never sure if some of the notes don't belong. Thanks for the recommendation. It's just been a lot of information and I don't know what parts to use and what parts to just pick out and keep in the back of my mind.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I have the book too. I really haven't gotten much out of it yet, though... but I'm sure that once I get better I'll be able to really pick up on the stuff in there.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • mawdmawd Posts: 9
    So I picked up the "Fretboard Logic" book after someone on here recommended it a while back. I learned all the pentatonics and am getting to the diatonics. The book lists all of the forms in which you can play the scales (E form, C form, etc.). What I'd like to know is, when playing lead, which of these should I use and when? Are some more associated with different types of music? What are your favorites for the type of music you play?

Hi....a lot of todays music is based around minor 3rds. This is a loose way of saying based around the Blues Scale....C/Eflat/F/Gflat/G/Bflat/C.....transpose this into any key and the world of improvisation will open up before your very ears.
    MAWD
    Regards.....MAWD