"Immortality" on Benaroya Hall

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Godddddd what a great solo. I almost cried.
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Godddddd what a great solo. I almost cried.

Oh I completely agree, one of the best versions ever. Was that Mike or Stone. I want to say it was Mike, but sometimes Stone will surprise me and do something unusual on particular songs.
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • It definitely sounded Mike-ish. I agree that Stone will bust out some pretty cool shit when he gets a chance. I love when he goes off in MFC
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • My two favorite Immortality solos though are Randalls Island('96?) and From Self Pollution radio. MAN, the delay and sound in that one send chills sound my back. From Randall's Island, the first note in the first solo...WOW and then in the second solo, Jeff's bass sounds amazing as Mike does the finger taps with the wah...DAMN! The Benaroya one is pretty sweet though
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    I did. Its so funny you said that cause I actually did the first time i heard it, and again not long ago when i was on a road trip by myself and it came on.

Not sure if it was the same part as you though. The part i love is the incredible jam at the end. I love the solo too more towards the middle of the song i guess, but the jam that finishes the last minute of that song to me defines the Pearl Jam sound. It is incredibly beautiful and is absolutely the reason why i started to love playing the guitar. I can't play it note for note (haven't really tried) but i love to play along with it.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Godddddd what a great solo. I almost cried.

I love this performance too.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    THAT is my favorite song....version....version of the song....EVER!

I still get chills listening to that solo.....it makes me want to stand up and cheer in my own living room!

What kind of guitar was Mike playing??
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    sennin wrote:
    THAT is my favorite song....version....version of the song....EVER!

I still get chills listening to that solo.....it makes me want to stand up and cheer in my own living room!

What kind of guitar was Mike playing??

If this is the acoustic gigi you are referreing to, probably a Gibson 335, thoguh he does have a Chet Atkins Gretsch as well, which it could haev been. MOre likely teh Gibbo
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Oh I completely agree, one of the best versions ever. Was that Mike or Stone. I want to say it was Mike, but sometimes Stone will surprise me and do something unusual on particular songs.
    Are u serious??? Stone could not pull that solo off-PLEASE...
  • Obscured1 wrote:
    Are u serious??? Stone could not pull that solo off-PLEASE...

Are YOU serious??? Just cuz he plays rythm guitar doesn't mean he can't play a solo like that. He's been playing guitar as a founding member with one of the best rock bands of all time for about 17 years and he's been playing guitar for at least 25, assuming he was at oldest, 15, when he started. Some people act like rythm guitarists know nothing but power chords. Stone may have noticed Mike at the party when they met, but you think Stone didn't rip some shit to gain Mike's respect? Personally, I think Stone is a genious and musically, the best songwriter in the band.
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Yeah, Stone can rip shit up. Some of the versions of Crazy Mary he is doing some crazy strummin. I wish I could remember what shows they were from.
  • Stone played lead for Mother Love Bone remember?

He can fucking tear it up..

More than speed, though, I love his style. He's got a certain groove to his method.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Stone is amazing at soloing and his face when he solos is great (Do The Evolution from MSG...)
  • I never Stone said couldn't Solo-My ears told me that was not him, nor could it be. Mike plays with style, feel,finesse,and speed-not like a mathematician
    U say being able to play solo's with speed aside like -who cares, who can't? Stone's up tempo solo's, on save you, and down, just don't cut it? they sound very similiar
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Stone is awesome, Mike is awesome...the Immortality from Benaroya is AWESOME!!!! One of my alltime favs!
  • mca47 wrote:
    Stone is awesome, Mike is awesome...the Immortality from Benaroya is AWESOME!!!! One of my alltime favs!
    YES!!!
  • Obscured1 wrote:
    YES!!!
    I love that song. SP rule.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Ok, I've always had a question about Benaroya Immortality and maybe someone who has the DVD or was there can answer: Right before they played Immortality, someone in the audience yells something like "Play Nirvana cover songs!" - was Immortality on the set list to be played then or was it some kind of audible by the band in response to such a stupid request from the audience? Was there a lot of off-mike chatting or instrument switching going on before they played it? I just gotta know...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Anyone have the GTW tab of this particular version?
  • DeLukin wrote:
    Ok, I've always had a question about Benaroya Immortality and maybe someone who has the DVD or was there can answer: Right before they played Immortality, someone in the audience yells something like "Play Nirvana cover songs!" - was Immortality on the set list to be played then or was it some kind of audible by the band in response to such a stupid request from the audience? Was there a lot of off-mike chatting or instrument switching going on before they played it? I just gotta know...

Is there a dvd for this show?
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Is there a dvd for this show?

Yeah.
    I've got it. It's unofficial, but good quality.
  • where can i get it?
  • where can i get it?
    +1
  • anyone got the 2nd solo tabbed?
    i can't find it anywhere on net and i'm not sure about some notes...

thanks!
    25.11.05 Buenos Aires, Argentina
    26.11.05 Buenos Aires, Argentina

"We were talking in the back... this has to be, as far as your voices and your energy, of all the years, i think this is the greatest audience we've ever played for... es verdad" (Eddie - November 25th BsAs ARGENTINA)
  • GTW had it for a while, I know that, maybe it's saved somewhere.
  • k thanks, i'll keep checking GTW then :)
    25.11.05 Buenos Aires, Argentina
    26.11.05 Buenos Aires, Argentina

"We were talking in the back... this has to be, as far as your voices and your energy, of all the years, i think this is the greatest audience we've ever played for... es verdad" (Eddie - November 25th BsAs ARGENTINA)
  • ANY version of Immortality where Mike makes tasty use of a delay or echo is A -ok in my books.

Self Pollution comes to mind.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Oh I completely agree, one of the best versions ever. Was that Mike or Stone. I want to say it was Mike, but sometimes Stone will surprise me and do something unusual on particular songs.

Putting style aside, I'm pretty sure it's Mike because the solo comes from your left speaker.

But yeah, the version is absolutely incredible and blows the studio version out of the water.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • ANY version of Immortality where Mike makes tasty use of a delay or echo is A -ok in my books.

Self Pollution comes to mind.
    That solo still sends chills down my back