Brock Butler of Perpetual Groove (Video)

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Quickly moving to the top of the list of my favorite guitarists... it gets better as it goes on. If you're not fully impressed about 3 minutes in... keep going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGIEY2Bn4Fo
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    bump. no love?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • he has a quick right hand and good timing, but other then that, what was so special about his playing? i'm really not into that whole speed picking thing, but if i was going to listen to a player that incoorporates alot of speed into his playing, i would much rather listen to patruchi (spelling?) or somebody like that. that guy was boring. no technique and stayed in the box the entire song. just blah for me man. to each his own though!
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    The video is one of the few i could find of him playing, and it's mostly soloing, which to me doesn't mean as much as songwriting. I still find it pretty impressive, but I recommend checking out some studio stuff if you can. They do a lot of interesting covers like Thriller, Wu Tang Clan and Nuthin' to F*** With, RATM's Killing in the Name Of, Possum Kingdom, Don't Come Around Here No More, Fatboy Slim's Praise You, and Bittersweet Symphony in concert. It's interesting the way they incorporate the electronics into their music, but it's not Trance-Jam-SHIT like the Disco Biscuits.
    As for Brock, he's got a pretty cool and original tone IMO. He uses a lot of Moog stuff (i asked if i could hop on stage after the show to take pics of his board last time they came around). Very dynamic as well.