Playing with your tongue (Jimi Style)

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
he must have been doin tongue pushups or somethin, cuz it takes some strength to move a string with your tongue.
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• it was more his teeth....it shivers my spine too much to do it, so i dont...

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • i was going to say ask your girlfriend for advice, but thats sorta improper .......

so well .....

yeah it is the teeth, and yeah it gives me the willynillys too
  • i was going to say ask your girlfriend for advice, but thats sorta improper .......

so well .....

I can't do it...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I did it once at a show.

I started, and didn't want to look like a wuss, so I kept going.

Never again... I get tingles thinking about it.

:o
  • It's not that bad, just don't actually pick with your teeth that much. Use lots of hammer ons and pull offs.
  • See I always thought it was the teeth. Then i was told by a friend that it the "teeth" thing was a common misconception. Regardless, both seem ridiculously hard.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    i heard he would play amazing solos with his left(picking hand) behind his back, so i doubt he picked too much with his teeth or tongue.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • Actually, Hendrix did all that stuff after seeing Buddy Guy in the 60's! If you listen to old Buddy Guy albums, you'll see where Hendix and Stevie Ray and a ton of others go their inspirations! Guy is an amazing player.

Buddy Guy was the first stunt man guitar player I know of one I know of doing that all those tricks, but I'm sure there were others before that!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Was Buddy Guy the first player to do the behind the back trick SRV made famous?

Probably.
    Actually Stevie may have gotten it either from Jimi or Buddy.
    Hendrix probably made it famous, because Buddy Guy wasn't famous here. He was more famous in England than he was here. Hendrix cancelled a few gigs when he was living in England, so he could catch a Buddy Guy show.
    Thanks to Hendrix and Clapton and The Stones et al for showing us America the rhythm and blues that was invented in the US!

Hendrix used to do all that stuff too, when he was first out. Then after a year or so he just played without the theatrics.

Haha,,, "just" played is a relative term, I guess! :D
    Ok, well, played without the behind the back stuff and smashing guitars.
    More like, "Just" playing with more energy and power and charisma and excitement and tension and release and jaw-dropping hair-raising heart pounding wonderment than probably anyone ever will again.
    Just Jimi Hendrix walking out onto the stage was theatrics, and he wasn't even trying to do anything!

I saw him twice. The first time was when he was doing the behind the back stuff , the second time was him playing. No teeth.

I bet HE got shivers thinking about playing with his teeth, too!
    Be kind, man
    Hendrix probably made it famous, because Buddy Guy wasn't famous here. He was more famous in England than he was here. Hendrix cancelled a few gigs when he was living in England, so he could catch a Buddy Guy show.
    Thanks to Hendrix and Clapton and The Stones et al for showing us America the rhythm and blues that was invented in the US!

Hendrix used to do all that stuff too, when he was first out. Then after a year or so he just played without the theatrics.

Haha,,, "just" played is a relative term, I guess! :D
    Ok, well, played without the behind the back stuff and smashing guitars.
    More like, "Just" playing with more energy and power and charisma and excitement and tension and release and jaw-dropping hair-raising heart pounding wonderment than probably anyone ever will again.
    Just Jimi Hendrix walking out onto the stage was theatrics, and he wasn't even trying to do anything!

I saw him twice. The first time was when he was doing the behind the back stuff , the second time was him playing. No teeth.

I bet HE got shivers thinking about playing with his teeth, too!

I can't believe you saw him twice. How amazing was it?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I can't believe you saw him twice. How amazing was it?

He was ok.

:D

One thing I love about being my age is that I GOT to see all those guys (and gals!) Janis Joplin and Grace Slick and Joni Mitchell in the late 60's and on.

There were a lot of mind blowing concerts, but Hendrix ruled them all! There was no warming up with him,,, he walked out, said a few good evenings,,,, I remember him saying once, "I think I'd like to play a little ditty that goes like this",,,, then haha,,,,WHAM,,, all hell broke loose!

Another couple of mindblowers were Cream's last tour, Rolling Stones 1972, and Jefferson Airplane in maybe 1971? Powerful powerful live bands. :cool:
    Be kind, man

so well .....

Yeah it's like scratching nails on a chalkboard for me too.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • He was ok.

:D

One thing I love about being my age is that I GOT to see all those guys (and gals!) Janis Joplin and Grace Slick and Joni Mitchell in the late 60's and on.

There were a lot of mind blowing concerts, but Hendrix ruled them all! There was no warming up with him,,, he walked out, said a few good evenings,,,, I remember him saying once, "I think I'd like to play a little ditty that goes like this",,,, then haha,,,,WHAM,,, all hell broke loose!

Another couple of mindblowers were Cream's last tour, Rolling Stones 1972, and Jefferson Airplane in maybe 1971? Powerful powerful live bands. :cool:

you could be among the top luckiest motherfuckers alive right now.
  • Mike didn't do the behind the neck trick in the gig i went to :(

(lisbon 4/9/06)
    Given To Fly

Lisboa, Pavilhão Atlântico, 4/9/06
    Lisboa, Algés, Oeiras Alive!, 8/6/07