Pearl Jam Tribute Bands

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is there anyone that posts in this section of the forums that's in any PJ tribute bands (Evenflow, 5against1, Backseat Lover, No Code, etc.)?
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• backseat lover here.
  • RVM UK here:)
    Cornell pwns u
  • i have a pearl jam cover band as well. we are just getting started though. finally found the right guys and we are putting our setlist together now. we should be out giging in a couple of months. no name yet or website yet, but i will bump this when we decide on a name and put up a website.

anybody have any suggestions for a name?
  • That's a ROGER!
    10 4
  • i have a pearl jam cover band as well. we are just getting started though. finally found the right guys and we are putting our setlist together now. we should be out giging in a couple of months. no name yet or website yet, but i will bump this when we decide on a name and put up a website.

anybody have any suggestions for a name?

Hey dirtyfrankdahmer. This is Tony from No Code. I've never been thrilled with my own band's name, but it was chosen before I joined in Dec. 2003, which was shortly after the group formed. In retrospect, that was the time to change it, if ever; we hadn't played a gig yet. In Summer 2004 I suggested we transform ourselves into Last Exit: New Jersey's Pearl Jam Tribute (for the uninitiated, our internal navigation systems here in the Garden State are entirely predicated on highway exits). I almost convinced my band mates when they ultimately decided to keep the status quo, citing the fact that we had already begun to establish ourselves. They were right about that. It doesn't mean I wasn't bummed that I lost my bid!

My problem with "No Code" is by no means with the album itself. I just wanted a more identifiable name that didn't "negate" something. So what do I do? I habitually capitalize NO CODE, as if to emphasize any perceived negation. Make sense? Of course not.

Personally, I think Five Against One and Backseat Lover -- and to a lesser extent Dirty Frank -- are the absolute best names for Pearl Jam tributes (damn all those guys for beating us to the punch!). Here are some other ideas I tossed around way back when:

• Restless Souls (still my fave of the ones not already taken)
    • Corduroy (short and recognizable)
    • Lost Dogs (not bad except for the low familiarity factor)
    • Light Years (same as above)
    • Red Mosquito
    • Given to Fly
    • Immortality
    • Mamasan Trilogy (but folks might think you're an Asian import)
    • The Better Men (OK, at this point the list has jumped the shark. Good thing I was quickly overruled on this one. As they say in pro sports, sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.)
    • The Leathermen (It would make for easy selection of stage attire, though you'd have folks wondering about what gender you preferred in your groupies. Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

I know I have more contained in a file on my home computer, but it's a start. Judging by some of those I've already listed, I'm sure you're just dying to hear more.

Tony

P.S. By the way, there's a little party going on Saturday night in What-Exit-Land . . .

It's not Christmas that NO CODE: THE PEARL JAM TRIBUTE are celebrating on Dec. 23. It's not Hanukkah or Kwanzaa, either. Heck, we're not even observing Festivus, so leave your clunky pole at home (this suggestion also applies to our exotic dancer fans).

Rather, the occasion is the holiday before the holiday, a day of reverence for those in the DPJO (Delightfully Pearl Jam-Obsessed) community: the date the man born Edward Louis Severson III began to rock. Please join us for what has become an annual tradition at Crossroads, the NO CODE Salute to Eddie Vedder.

Date: SATURDAY, DECEMBER 23, 2006
    Time: 10:30 p.m. – 1:45 a.m.
    Venue: The Crossroads
    Address: 78 North Ave., Garwood, NJ
    Tel: (908) 232-5666
    Cover: $8
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    really and truly 8 to 10 bucks to see a good Pearl Jam cover band is a freaking bargain. Who dosen't want to drink beer and listen to good live music while a bunch of good looking middle aged women dressed to the nines wait for the Bon Jovi cover band to come on? :D

I've love seeing Pearl Jam, and any tribute band I get a chance too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Hey dirtyfrankdahmer. This is Tony from No Code. Personally, I think Five Against One and Backseat Lover -- and to a lesser extent Dirty Frank -- are the absolute best names for Pearl Jam tributes (damn all those guys for beating us to the punch!). Here are some other ideas I tossed around way back when:

Less extented Dirty Frank singer here...

Yo Tony, you never wrote me back, dude. Don't make me throw a rock from SoCal to Jersey.
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Hey dirtyfrankdahmer. This is Tony from No Code. I've never been thrilled with my own band's name, but it was chosen before I joined in Dec. 2003, which was shortly after the group formed. In retrospect, that was the time to change it, if ever; we hadn't played a gig yet. In Summer 2004 I suggested we transform ourselves into Last Exit: New Jersey's Pearl Jam Tribute (for the uninitiated, our internal navigation systems here in the Garden State are entirely predicated on highway exits). I almost convinced my band mates when they ultimately decided to keep the status quo, citing the fact that we had already begun to establish ourselves. They were right about that. It doesn't mean I wasn't bummed that I lost my bid!

My problem with "No Code" is by no means with the album itself. I just wanted a more identifiable name that didn't "negate" something. So what do I do? I habitually capitalize NO CODE, as if to emphasize any perceived negation. Make sense? Of course not.

Personally, I think Five Against One and Backseat Lover -- and to a lesser extent Dirty Frank -- are the absolute best names for Pearl Jam tributes (damn all those guys for beating us to the punch!). Here are some other ideas I tossed around way back when:

• Red Mosquito
    • Given to Fly
    • Immortality
    • The Better Men (OK, at this point the list has jumped the shark. Good thing I was quickly overruled on this one. As they say in pro sports, sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.)
    • The Leathermen (It would make for easy selection of stage attire, though you'd have folks wondering about what gender you preferred in your groupies. Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

I know I have more contained in a file on my home computer, but it's a start. Judging by some of those I've already listed, I'm sure you're just dying to hear more.

Tony

P.S. By the way, there's a little party going on Saturday night in What-Exit-Land . . .

It's not Christmas that NO CODE: THE PEARL JAM TRIBUTE are celebrating on Dec. 23. It's not Hanukkah or Kwanzaa, either. Heck, we're not even observing Festivus, so leave your clunky pole at home (this suggestion also applies to our exotic dancer fans).

Rather, the occasion is the holiday before the holiday, a day of reverence for those in the DPJO (Delightfully Pearl Jam-Obsessed) community: the date the man born Edward Louis Severson III began to rock. Please join us for what has become an annual tradition at Crossroads, the NO CODE Salute to Eddie Vedder.

Hi Tony, Scott from backseat lover here. i rather like the name NO CODE. i understand when you say its not easily identifiable though. like you, bsl was named before i was in the band, but i like the name they picked. its not easily identifiable either, but we've done a pretty good job getting the name recognized up here. I think Dirty Frank is an awesome name, maybe my favorite.

i'd love to check out some of you other pj tributes, but its quite difficult making that happen. if you guys are ever up in the new england area and we are playing, stop in. we'd love to jam with other pj tributes.

enjoy your Crossroads show, and happy holidays pj tributes.
    www.backseatlover.net
    check them out!! The'yre greeeat!
  • drtyfrnk29 wrote:
    Less extented Dirty Frank singer here...

Yo Tony, you never wrote me back, dude. Don't make me throw a rock from SoCal to Jersey.

Well, isn't it obvious, John? I'm still feeling some resentment over you nabbing the Dirty Frank name (insert "emoticon" conveying sarcasm here). Seriously, I'm hanging it on two words: Christmas season. And I'll "extend" it another two for good measure: Bah humbug!

Sorry, dude. I'll dig out the unreplied message from our MySpace inbox and get back to you when I can. Working for the state university has its benefits: the place is shut down between Christmas and New Year. Woo hoo!

Tony
  • Hi Tony, Scott from backseat lover here. i rather like the name NO CODE. i understand when you say its not easily identifiable though. like you, bsl was named before i was in the band, but i like the name they picked. its not easily identifiable either, but we've done a pretty good job getting the name recognized up here. I think Dirty Frank is an awesome name, maybe my favorite.

i'd love to check out some of you other pj tributes, but its quite difficult making that happen. if you guys are ever up in the new england area and we are playing, stop in. we'd love to jam with other pj tributes.

enjoy your Crossroads show, and happy holidays pj tributes.

Right back at you with the holiday well wishes, Scott. Trekking up to Boston would be a difficult proposition for us as well, but luckily we're a few miles outside NYC, which means we can see Even Flow and Ten when they come to town. They're national acts while we're working on becoming more regional. I hope to see Five Against One on Jan. 13 in NE Philly, one night after we make our return to the same area of town.

Tony

P.S. Damn you again for being a Backseat Lover! Be sure to direct our way any tribute groupies who have difficulty situating themselves in that compartment of the vehicle, ya hear?
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    really and truly 8 to 10 bucks to see a good Pearl Jam cover band is a freaking bargain. Who dosen't want to drink beer and listen to good live music while a bunch of good looking middle aged women dressed to the nines wait for the Bon Jovi cover band to come on? :D

Freaking hilarious! I often wonder why we couldn't have been a Bon Jovi or Dave Matthews Band tribute simply for the predominantly female support either act would attract. Then I remember the reason: We have taste in music. Such is the burden we must bear. (OK, not so much DMB as Bon Jovi, but I never let reality get in the way of a joke.)

Just so my words aren't misinterpreted by any ladies who might visit this thread, let me state my general opinion of female Jammers: They're pretty damn hot! It's just their scarcity of number, relatively speaking, that I would change if I could.

Tony
  • Well, isn't it obvious, John? I'm still feeling some resentment over you nabbing the Dirty Frank name (insert "emoticon" conveying sarcasm here). Seriously, I'm hanging it on two words: Christmas season. And I'll "extend" it another two for good measure: Bah humbug!

Sorry, dude. I'll dig out the unreplied message from our MySpace inbox and get back to you when I can. Working for the state university has its benefits: the place is shut down between Christmas and New Year. Woo hoo!

Tony

All good, pal. Big ups to all the PJ tributes on the board... Hazaa!!!

Merry Christmas
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Pacomc79 wrote:

Evenflow here. "My name is Scott and I play Mike"

hey Pac I think we're comin yer way in middle February the 15th or 17th? Atlanta right?
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
  • Hey dirtyfrankdahmer. This is Tony from No Code. I've never been thrilled with my own band's name, but it was chosen before I joined in Dec. 2003, which was shortly after the group formed. In retrospect, that was the time to change it, if ever; we hadn't played a gig yet. In Summer 2004 I suggested we transform ourselves into Last Exit: New Jersey's Pearl Jam Tribute (for the uninitiated, our internal navigation systems here in the Garden State are entirely predicated on highway exits). I almost convinced my band mates when they ultimately decided to keep the status quo, citing the fact that we had already begun to establish ourselves. They were right about that. It doesn't mean I wasn't bummed that I lost my bid!

• Red Mosquito
    • Given to Fly
    • Immortality

Tony

hey tony,
    thanks for the suggestions! our drummer tossed out "Lemon Yellow Sun" the other night, and i'm completely digging that name. "Corduroy" might be more recognizable though, and is definately cool as well. decisions, decisions.
  • Im startin a band thats gonna play mostly covers, not just pearl jam but some rhcp, soundgarden, aic, nirvana, and sabbath. id be playin dave k/dave a/jack i/matt cam. Prolly gonna settle on Just One Time Around (just a girl from the 1st week rehersals for something really hardcore!)

fond some1 to be mike/stone need a jeff an ed :-). hard to find any1 around here.

Pj stuff would prolly be Wash, Why Go, Dirty Frank, Black, Daughter, I Got Shit, In My Tree, Lukin, Given to Fly, Immortality, and Wishlist.

peace
  • hey tony,
    thanks for the suggestions! our drummer tossed out "Lemon Yellow Sun" the other night, and i'm completely digging that name. "Corduroy" might be more recognizable though, and is definately cool as well. decisions, decisions.

i think Lemen Yellow Sun is a great name...go for it.
  • hey tony,

That's brilliant! It figures that I'd overlook the "lemon yellow sun" lyric in favor of "pools of maroon" when I deconstructed "Jeremy" for the same purpose.

Best of luck with the band, and welcome to the club. Now, if you haven't viewed it already, do your duty and rent "Rock Star". It's the closest we tributes have ever come to being "legitimized" on film.

Tony