Can't get rid of this fret buzz

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So i got my tele set up today, but it's still buzzing quite a bit. No matter how lightly i hit the EAD or G string, it buzzes anywhere from the 6th fret and up. I've read that the bridges on the Nashville Tele's aren't great. Should i replace it?
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• So i got my tele set up today, but it's still buzzing quite a bit. No matter how lightly i hit the EAD or G string, it buzzes anywhere from the 6th fret and up. I've read that the bridges on the Nashville Tele's aren't great. Should i replace it?

All right, I had the same problem with my guitars. There are a few things you can do. Adjust the truss rod, adjust the saddles, and you can file down the fret. I would take it to a music shop if you don't know what you are doing. I usually just take mine in anyway. Good luck.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Take it back adn get your money back, sounds like the neck is warped, adn this guitar will never make you happy.
    New guitars sholdn't need to be set up or modified to be playable.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    If it's new, I'd go to the shop and ask them what THEY can do about it.

If it's used.....take it to a shop and see what they can do about it....for some $$.

Do you get the buzz when you're plugged in?

I get some low action buzz on my tele too.....but it doesn't show up through the amp.

Low Action Buzz.....hmmm....sounds like the name of my next band. :p
  • sennin wrote:
    Do you get the buzz when you're plugged in?

I get some low action buzz on my tele too.....but it doesn't show up through the amp./quote]

I don't get the buzz when plugged in, so i guess it's not a big issue. I actually went to guitar center about an hour ago and tried 2 other Nashville tele's and they all buzz the same way. I even tried the highway one, American Standard, and American Vintage 52 RI and all of them buzz a bit. I guess it's just my lack of experience with teles before buying this one. Maybe they're all like that.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Fret buzz has always existed in my electric for some reason, even after set-ups. It doesn't get through to the amplifier, though, so I just ignore it now. Once you get past the initial annoyance, you barely even hear it anymore. Just crank the amp.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    DOSW wrote:
    Just crank the amp.

Quoted for truth.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    doesnt the buzz eventually go away?

my new tele is buzzing like crazy as well. I remember my SG buzzing a bit the first few weeks I had it but it's completely gone now.

who knows.

it is indeed annoying, though. I'm sure with a few string changes and some screwing around with the bridge/saddles it will go away eventually.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • I might swap the bridge for the American Vintage style with 3 saddles instead of 6. My only concern is how I will get accurate intonation with 1 saddle controlling 2 strings.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I might swap the bridge for the American Vintage style with 3 saddles instead of 6. My only concern is how I will get accurate intonation with 1 saddle controlling 2 strings.

you probably won't unfortunately. the 3 saddle bridge isn't going to solve your problem.

what gauge is this thing set up with right now?
  • exhausted wrote:
    you probably won't unfortunately. the 3 saddle bridge isn't going to solve your problem.

what gauge is this thing set up with right now?

9's. The bridge swap won't be for the fret buzz. The bridge just seems shitty. The saddles on the higher 3 strings are angled downwards a little bit. Occasionally the high "e" becomes partially off the saddle and i have to jam it upwards with my finger to get it fully in the groove
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    well, 9s are probably part of the problem from my experience. well it's right or not i don't know but i feel heavier strings make everything more solid and i don't really experience buzz problems.

assuming this guitar doesn't just have a bad fret job or something.
  • seechoseecho Posts: 8
    Every new electric guitar I have owned came with this problem. And in all cases it has been the action was too low. So I have raised the action just enough to get rid of this buzz. But at the same time when you do this you have to re-adjust the intonation using a tuner and it can take all day to get this right. But once you get it right, it is awsome. Alot of people no very little about setting intonation but there is a book called "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer and it costs $25.00 and is worth way more than that. It covers alot of stuff and has tons of good information. It will teach you how to set the action, intonation, and it also covers alot of music theory, guitar maintenance, electronics and also gives information on amplifier electronics and how this stuff works. Also some manufactures give specs for the action and you can actually set the action according to these numbers and it will get rid of this buzz. As for why it is not set correctly from the factory is beyond me, probably eats into the profits.
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Take it back adn get your money back, sounds like the neck is warped, adn this guitar will never make you happy.
    New guitars sholdn't need to be set up or modified to be playable.

Well that right there is just not true!

Neck warped? Get a trust rod adjustment. And if the guitar was 'New' sitting on the wall a lot of people have probably played it and it will go out of adjustment.

And if its new out of the box??? Well it depends on where you live, and where the guitar was made. Humidity makes a HUGE difference on necks of guitars.

And while yes the shop should take better care of the instruments, well they probably have a lot of guitars and the staff is probably under-paid and doesn't care to much to keep the guitars in top playing form.
  • sounds like the neck has got a convex bow in it
    Cornell pwns u