Ibanez TS-9 or Fulltone OCD

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Looking for my first distortion pedal. These seem to be the 2 popular fuzzboxes on this part of the forum. Which is better and why?
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    what are you going for? they're totally different.
  • exhausted wrote:
    what are you going for? they're totally different.

My bad for not mentioning that in the first post. I'm not looking for any screechy, heavy metal sounds or anything like that. I like a distortion that doesn't sound digital at all and where all the notes are heard clearly. I guess a Led Zeppelin-ish or "Alive" intro sound is what I'm lookin' for. None of that crazy Zakk Wylde shredding shit, just a little bit of dirt.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i say OCD for the clarity and gain range in that case.

tubescreamers always sound muddy to me.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I've got a TS-9 DX (the four knob one) and I've gotta say it's working quite well. TS9 mode gives the most clarity, and +, hot, and turbo mode give increasing drive ability. For my type of music it works for me but like ex said, it can be a little muddy.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Yes the OCD has distortion to kick some serious balls but if you turn the gain down between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock you will get almost exactly what you are asking for.

The TS-9 is more of a mild overdrive sound, and I agree with exhausted that it sounds muddy. I had one and I hated it.

Now if the TS-9 is what you are looking for, don't get it. Get a Menatone Blue Collar, it's a TS-9 with some more balls to give you what you want.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • you guys never let me down
  • How about, what are you playing thru?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • How about, what are you playing thru?

As of right now, nothing. I've been playing acoustic for a while, but it fell over and the neck snapped in 2 (it was a shitbox anyway). I just picked up a Fender Nashville Tele and i intend to buy a decent used amp that's loud enough to jam with a drummer, but nothing huge. I'm looking at some of those older Peavey amps.
  • Personally, I like the TS-9 through a 6L6 tube (Fender, Traynor, some Mesa) clean best. I like midrange though, and I usually keep the gain down on it. I would never use it for mid gain.
  • I'd love a Traynor YCV40. I'm hearing the WR is the one to get though. I might have trouble finding a used one.
  • I'm hearing the WR is the one to get though.

If you want to pay more for red instead of black, yes. (I probably would.)
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    If you want to pay more for red instead of black, yes. (I probably would.)

The WR also has a Vintage 30 in it instead of a 70/80.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I personally don't really like tube screamers, Keeley Modded ones are descent, but still I'd use it for limited things (studio). I'm a huge OCD fan, but I can see where people tend to stay away from them too. JTM 45's, '59 bassmans, 1974x, valve juniors etc they sound fantastic.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • I'm incredibly happy with my TS-9. Loooooooooooooovely warm tone, just the right amount of overdrive for anything from the most subtle effects to that 70's rock sound (talking BOC, Sabbath 70's rock), just fantastic. I use it with my Greedtone, my Fender amp's OD (occasionally), and once I get it fixed my Fender Blender. Gives me just about every option I need for tone and distortion. Great price too.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Can't be said enough: Greedtone.
  • I heard that Stone used an Ibanez SD9 (sonic distortion) for 'Alive'. They carry the Maxon logo now (awesome lime green casing)
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Yeah, Stone used that. He had that in front of the TS-9 which made it REALLY baddass
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • seechoseecho Posts: 8
    I bought a TS-9 years ago. I sold it because I could get the same sound from a Marshall amp and playing through the front pick up. I also bought a Boss Blues Driver, same thing, I sold it to because of the same deal. I guess these would be good if you have no amp. I have learned sometimes less stuff is better. All I use now is an RP7 Valve, it will do everything these single pedals will do, although it takes a while to get it all figured out but once you do, it has user programmable banks on it and you can switch to what ever sound you are looking for.