Effects on Comfortably Numb solo

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited March 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone know what effects Gilmour uses for that? I would love to recreate that sound
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I have a Guitar Legends mag at home , and I can look this up, but generally his tone is derived from turning a Marshal amp up to just before feedback point and playing the slot out of a Strat. I will watch Pulse to see what his pup positions are during that solo, always good to have on teh menu.
    I think his tone is teh absolute best strat tone there is. He does use a lot of effects generally, and has done a lot of different shit over teh years.
    I'll see what I can dig up.
    Music is not a competetion.
    OK, had a look. The wholem solo is played on the bridge pup, Strat obviously wiht lots of his finger and bar vibrato. The mag says gain 9, eq 6/7/8 (B/m/t), says echo on the rhythm guiars , but no mention of effects on the lead, but i think there is probably a little delay. I found to get teh best feel for the amount of gain, I listened to how much growl on teh low notes, esp teh last few on teh Pulse version. There is no mention of what amp, but in other places I have seen it is mainly Marshall.
    He gets amazing sustain, but I think that is cos he has the amp turned up to just before feedback as I mentioned. I like to play there too, enough noise blowing into the git so you have to control the feedback a bit with your hands most of the time. It's teh best tone zone !!
    Of course, I'll probbaly need bionic ears when I am old, but they should have them sorted by then so no worries !! LOL !!!!!!!
    TBH, I think pretty much all of the tone is in his fingers. I don't have a strat so I'm never gonna cop it completely, but thanks to your question, I did have some fun tonght getting the signature licks from that solo down, so thanks for that !!
  • I read somewhere Gilmour said that he could "walk into any guitar shop and pick any guitar and amp and in a few minutes I'd sound like me". A lot of it really is in the fingers.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    Finally found a direct reference to this.

Hiwatt amp, Yamaha rotating speaker cabinets.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    You guys are all wrong. The tone is in the hands. I can recreate that tone perfectly using my squire strat and boss ds1, direct into my boss micro br, with some eq, compression, reverb, amp modeling in pro tools.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
    You guys are all wrong. The tone is in the hands. I can recreate that tone perfectly using my squire strat and boss ds1, direct into my boss micro br, with some eq, compression, reverb, amp modeling in pro tools.

Well, there may be more than more than one way to shake a martini, but my last post was a direct quote from Gilmour. It is not a complicated sound though, so propbably not hard to get.

I am curious though, at risk of being offensive, you seem to know an awful lot for a guy who can't change strings.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    If you thought I was serious, then you're wrong!
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • mali mujomali mujo Posts: 12
    i have zoom gfx-5, made my distortion,not too heavy, and sounds great.
    but since i'm not an addict of getting a perfect sound,maybe it's not good for you