Good Multi-Effects Pedals?

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Right now, I don't have the money to spend on a TS9, DD3, and Budwah that I'd like, so I'm asking what are some good multi-effects units. I'm willing to spend more (Up to $300 or maybe a bit more) since this one thing is going to have to be good enough to cover all of my effects. Things with looping and such would be handy too.
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My favourite is the Boss ME-50 because of its ease of use (i.e no menus). I'm really not a big fan of multi-effects though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Line 6 Pod XT Live. It's $400 which is slightly over your budget, but it does pretty much everything. (Even looping I think). Maybe you could find a used one.

The Boss ME-50 is up there too, although some people have said the distortions/overdrives aren't quite what you'd expect. Anyway, that's more your price range, $295 on Musiciansfriend.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Right now, I don't have the money to spend on a TS9, DD3, and Budwah that I'd like, so I'm asking what are some good multi-effects units. I'm willing to spend more (Up to $300 or maybe a bit more) since this one thing is going to have to be good enough to cover all of my effects. Things with looping and such would be handy too.

you can find a ts9, dd3 and a budwah for not much more than that $300. just hold out.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    exhausted wrote:
    you can find a ts9, dd3 and a budwah for not much more than that $300. just hold out.

+1.

Check around on ebay. You can get a dd3 for around $60 and a ts9 for around $80 if you wait. The rest should cover your buda.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Trust me man, just save your money or go used. Multi fx will leave you wanting more.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    Zoom G2 is about £80 and damn good. Zoom G2X with expression pedal is about £100, but i have yet to try this.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Trust me man, just save your money or go used. Multi fx will leave you wanting more.
    +a million
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • disconnecteddisconnected Posts: 2,875
    A Korg AX3000G is also a nice multi effects pedal. It costs around $ 250,00 - $ 450,00 on the internet.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    A Korg AX3000G is also a nice multi effects pedal. It costs around $ 250,00 - $ 450,00 on the internet.
    +1. This was the first pedal I ever used WAY back when I started and it's AMAZING>
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • disconnecteddisconnected Posts: 2,875
    +1. This was the first pedal I ever used WAY back when I started and it's AMAZING>

I love this pedalboard. It sounds perfect with my samick les paul guitar/fender amp.
  • +a million
    I'll kazillioin that million that
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Word. I guess I'll just have to be patient. I'm bidding on a TS-9 on ebay right now, soon I'll try to get the DD3 and Budwah, and anything else I'll just have to wait for.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    IMO, if you play by yourself for the most part, the HOLD feature on the DD-6 is way, way better than the DD-3. With the DD-6 you can record up to 5 seconds and have it loop endlessly, with the DD-3 you pretty much strike a note while holding down the pedal in hold function, and then you can adjust the delay time and it will just repeat that note/chord endlessly. A lot less musical variety.

If you're willing to pay a little more, I think the DD-6 is worth it.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    The Digitech X-Series also has that same hold feature (only 4 seconds) and plethora of options as well.
    I just ordered a TS9 and Phase 90 (Yeah I know, I'm boring and common) from Musician's Friend. I know they say a wah is usually a good first pedal, but I'm gonna hold off because I prob won't use it that much.
    Lemme know how you like that phase 90!
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Dude . . . all those Zoom, Korg, Line-6 POD's, Digitech, ect, and all those other multi-effects units are crap!!!
    Just save until you can afford what you want.
    You can get a TS-9 under $80 (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=ibanez+ts9)
    a Boss DD-3 for under $100 (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=boss+dd3&sacat=619%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search),
    and a BudWah for around $100 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Budwah-Effects-Pedal_W0QQitemZ250128351493QQihZ015QQcategoryZ41422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
    Save and get what you want - don't settle - you won't be happy.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    I got my pedals today. Had some fun with both. I need to toy with the TS-9 to get what I'm looking for. Any advice would be helpful.

The Phase 90 is cool! I can't stop playing "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" though... what are some PJ song that use the phase shifter a bit. I'm having trouble thinking right now...
    Daughter(Mike's part during the "The Shades go down", Army Reserve, You Are(Mike's part during the solo), I Am Mine, Light Year and Sleight of Hand possibly, and Given to Fly
    Being a TS9 and Phase 90 owner myself, I gotta say I agree with your choices.

On your TS9, try putting the drive around 2 o'clock, the level around 12, and the tone around 3.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    What i like about the ts-9 i that it has the tone i want to acheive for myself, yet it's so versatile and i can go out and cover my favorites (PJ, Phish, you name it) because many of them play TS9s.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    A thought just occured to me while re-reading this thread. Why are you focusing on the dd3? It's a solid work horse of a delay. Nothing wrong with it. But as some have posted here there are some other more recent pedals that don't cost much more that do more. I was just wondering, is it possible you were thinking of the DM3? This is a pink/purple *analog* delay pedal which Mike has been known to use. It is an absolutely beautiful pedal, and it also runs between $200 and $300 on ebay. The DD3 is an early boss *digital* delay. It's not bad at all. Solid and reliable it definately does the job, but it doesn't do much more than repeat the note that gets played into it. To be fair, that's exactly what a delay should do. But the DM3 ads some sonic coloring to the note that is hard to get any other way. That's what makes it a classic, and why it costs so much. Just something worth checking. If the DD3 is what you had in mind, then you should definately check the later DD pedals (5 and 6) as they pretty much sound the same, but offer more features. If you were after the DM3 and can't afford one, check out the line6 echo park. It's also digital but like a lot of high end and more expensive delays it has modes which try to emulate analog delays like the DM3. It tends to be around $180 but every now and again you can spot a used one closer to $100 - $140. There are loads and loads of amazing delays as you get up and above $200, but since that's not your stated price range the Line6 is the only one I'll mention here.

Good luck.