Mike Plays the strat on "Alive"

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzBm8IS15EM

First time I've seen it happen.
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Not that uncommon. I think he used it on Alive in Ottawa and Albany.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    What? I thought he always has used the strat on Alive. Maybe a few times with a LP in recent years, but the record version is definetely a strat, and most live performances.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Pinkpop '92-White Strat
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    'Live At The Garden' DVD - His (vintage?) battered look strat.

That's a lie. Alive isn't even on it :/ Excuse drunk Switch.
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Yeah, I thought it was standard for him to use the start on Alive. He had been using the LP alot, but isn't the strat his like "Ten" guitar?
  • He played his LP for Alive in Dublin last year... But I did always associate Alive with the Strat... As Dilemma says, his "Ten guitar".
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Hmmm i don't know how because I've seen countless videos... but i guess it's a coincidence they all have Mike playing the LP. My imagination perhaps...
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Hmmm i don't know how because I've seen countless videos... but i guess it's a coincidence they all have Mike playing the LP. My imagination perhaps...

yeah, that's just coincidence or maybe he's playing other guitars more nowadays. but from the beginning through at least the late 90s, the strat was his main guitar, particularly on older songs.
  • Back in the day he always used it on Alive and most other songs.

I remember the pink pop vid (where ed crowd dives off the camera) and Mike's pearly white strat on alive. :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    he used to always use it for alive....i remember seeing him use the les paul and thinking THAT was newsworthy!!!......but he used a strat for alive on SNL in 1992 and on the jools holland show in 2006 (and in the older clip they show from 92) .............not to mention like every version from the majority of the 90s
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    He played his LP for Alive in Dublin last year... But I did always associate Alive with the Strat... As Dilemma says, his "Ten guitar".
    exactly

ive always considered alive a strat song for lead not a les paul song

i love his old white strat from the ten days, wish he would bust it out one day during a live show

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Alive sounds so much better on the strat that an LP, gives it a 'gritty' edge.
  • MellowMindMellowMind Posts: 61
    in the booklet of Ten it ses:

Stone Gossard uses Gibson Guitars
    Mike McCready uses Fender Guitars

that means that for the recording of Ten he probly used a Strat because i have hardly seen him use Tele's or any other Fender guitars (in the last album he's used Tele's, as seen in the AOL sessions vid).....

I can't remember right now if he uses the strat for sure for Alive but im pretty sure...
    Given To Fly

Lisboa, Pavilhão Atlântico, 4/9/06
    Lisboa, Algés, Oeiras Alive!, 8/6/07
    If you watch the Evenflow video, theres' a shot of Mike playing a telecaster.
  • If you watch the Evenflow video, theres' a shot of Mike playing a telecaster.
    weird.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • i thought he played a strat on it anyway? i'm pretty sure he played one on ten?
    He does on Ten. I've always seen it as a strat song as well.
    evenflow is definately a strat song, it was recorded with a strat, you can tell by the awesome tone/sound of his guitar

same with alive and black, both strat songs for mike
    also studio version of yellow ledbedder. in fact, i think he has the exact sound/tone in yellow ledbedder and black studio versions. that tone rocks

www.myspace.com/pappas99
    YEAH!!! HE does have the same tone for Ledbetter and Black. I noticed that a while back!
    YEAH!!! HE does have the same tone for Ledbetter and Black. I noticed that a while back!
    how good is it
    then he turns on the disortion/tubescreamer whatever for the yellow ledbedder solo and for the second half of black

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • disconnecteddisconnected Posts: 2,875
    Well, I thought the strat was for Mike and the LP for Stone in Alive...

In Nijmegen, last thursday, Mike used a strat (and smashed it...) and Stone a LP...
  • SNL 92, a strat was used on alive also
  • If you watch the Evenflow video, theres' a shot of Mike playing a telecaster.

he used to play a very nice looking painted/signed tele in milano @ citysquare back in 92
    ThisIsNotAnExit