Playing Live Again Feels So Good!

MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Not that anyone gives a shit, but...

I go to this bar/restaurant some Tuesday nights for "Blues Night/Open Mic Night." They have a house band that's pretty nasty and they let people sign up and use their instruments. They'll play for you if u want them to, or you can bring a whole band w/ u. I finally mustered up the balls to get up and play after many nights of contemplating it. I told my buddy who is in a band I was going to play Voodoo Child and Hey Joe and he said "The guitarist from my band is here and he'd love to play those with u". So instead of me and the house band it was me, the house band's bassist and my friend's guitarist. We signed up at 10:30 and didn't get on til about 1:15 (so I was pretty drunk by then) but we fucking rocked. We did a nice little instrumental segue from Voodoo Chile into Hey Joe.

The guitarist told me he was feelin' the chemistry and that they're looking for a new drummer since theirs is leaving school after this semester and asked me to join the band. They've got some pretty sick originals done up that I can't wait to jump into.

Anyway, I got pretty excited about it and had to rave on it. Who better than the M&G forum on the PJ pit. Hopefully I can have some sound clips or something up on here for y'all in time to come.

-GTC
Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Right on.

I am playing an open mic tonight for the first time since February. We're debuting some new covers, so I'm psyched.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Not that anyone gives a shit, but...
    awww, do you need a hug? We do give a shit!
    ;)
    That's awesome that they asked you to join the band. Good stuff!
  • Awesome...I'm still trying to get the balls to play at an open mic.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • I know I grumble about some open mics, but I play any and every one I can, between gigs, just to test out new arrangements/gear/songs of mine. I did one tonight, in fact. What I'd recommend with open mics is to concentrate on fixing your weaknesses. If you've a set of strong songs and ones that need more work, play the weaker ones and be prepared to mess up a bit in public. Okay, and if you've just three numbers, throw in a crowd pleaser to cover your arse! :)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Of course we care, this is the home of caring.
    There are not many of these yhings near me, but there is an open jam run by one of the music stores on soon, and I'm going with the intention of getting up if there is something I know.
    I'm going to brush up on some AC/DC and Nirvana, figuring they are likely to be on. If I could build the stamina, I'd love to do Teen Spirit on drums. The drum part is way more interesting than the guitar part, but I don't think I'm that good yet.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    Went to an open mic/jam last night and played drums to some Zeppelin. I usually only jam with a guitarist and singer...it was nice to have a full band.

probably go again next week or sometime soon
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?