for those who own a gibson lp jr doublecut(monster)...

seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
how do you like it? i am really considering one. can it cover much ground? is it comfortable? and as always, PICS please! thanks!
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Dude, you just got a VOS Les Paul Standard a few months ago to add to your collection, which already includes an American Deluxe Ash Tele and God knows what else... and you're what, 14 years old?

Do you really need anything else right now? :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Amen to that. I've only got my strat, and I can't even afford an Epi LP right now, much less a Gibson. :(
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    DOSW wrote:
    Dude, you just got a VOS Les Paul Standard a few months ago to add to your collection, which already includes an American Deluxe Ash Tele and God knows what else... and you're what, 14 years old?

Do you really need anything else right now? :D
    yes :) . but seriously, i hate when people ask this. i work for my money, my parents dont buy my guitars and gear, and should be able to buy what i want with my money. i sold my paintball gun, an old amp, and a few other items in order to raise enough money for a DC, and that is what i would want to buy. i shuld be able to do what i want and buy what i want if i have the money. adults are. why shouldnt i?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    seanw1010 wrote:
    yes :) . but seriously, i hate when people ask this. i work for my money, my parents dont buy my guitars and gear, and should be able to buy what i want with my money. i sold my paintball gun, an old amp, and a few other items in order to raise enough money for a DC, and that is what i would want to buy. i shuld be able to do what i want and buy what i want if i have the money. adults are. why shouldnt i?

Hey, by all means, do what you want. But spending money indiscriminately is never a good thing. I don't mean to preach, but this is coming from someone who's been working for the past year in order to save up for college this fall, and even though I never spent a lot of money, I really wish I was wiser with my bank account.

I'm just saying, the money that you'll spend on the DC can probably be put to better use in the future, considering the amazing guitars you already have. But I don't know you, and I don't know your situation, so I'm just generalizing here.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    You've gotta be pimpin' 7th graders or something. Jesus. What all guitars do u own currently? I can't keep up.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    You've gotta be pimpin' 7th graders or something. Jesus. What all guitars do u own currently? I can't keep up.
    gibson 58 les paul
    fender american del. ash tele
    fender standard strat
    takamine eg531sc

thanks for all your help guys.

i guess ill just ask tgp next time i need advice without being age prejudiced
    thanks guys
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    seanw1010 wrote:

Cool, Sean, don't apologise for having what you have. I too have a bit of stuff, all teh product of my own labour, and it's yours and my right to spend my income as I wish. I hate it when people ask me to justify myself to them, as if I need their approval.

On teh subject of teh Junior, I'm a littel confused as to precisley what you mean. If you mean teh Custom sho TV Yellow 1960 REissue, I know you won't be disappointed. That has P90's bridge and neck, and great finish etc I thinik there is a cheaper non custom shop version, which does not get such great reviews, but is also a shitpoad cheaper. Pup changes make a big difference of course, and you haev access to Fralins and Lollars , BAreknuckles etc, all of which can provide less hum than the standard Gibbo's.
    "Monster" is a term which usually applies to outrageously flamed Les Paul tops.
    May I strogly suggest you check out http://www.lespaulforum.com . It is a wondrous site for anyone who is into Gibbo's of any sort, and has any number of peeps who will help you out with info on tehese, reccomend dealers etc. GC is easy, but there are any number of guys weho will beat or match teh pricwe and give you service worth having as well.

Cheers
    Music is not a competetion.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    he was referring to the poster "moster78" who owns the guitar in question, i believe.

and as for buying what you what, sean. it's up to you.

life starts off with not being allowed to do anything and then ends up with having to do lots of things.

there is very little "because you can" so enjoy it. :)
    exhausted wrote:
    he was referring to the poster "moster78" who owns the guitar in question, i believe.

and as for buying what you what, sean. it's up to you.

life starts off with not being allowed to do anything and then ends up with having to do lots of things.

there is very little "because you can" so enjoy it. :)

Ah I see. Nice words of wisdom there too

SActually, whenever I see "moster 78", I subconsciously always read "molester", I just can't help it ! LOL!!!!
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Ah I see. Nice words of wisdom there too

SActually, whenever I see "moster 78", I subconsciously always read "molester", I just can't help it ! LOL!!!!

Nice!
  • If your talking about the faded series DC. Don't waste your time. Horrible quality, horrible soft neck. Horrible fret finishing. Have I said it's horrible?

If your talking about the VOS DC, then that is pure quality. Of course it's over 2 grand. I haven't determined to myself if any guitar is worth that much yet.

Honestly, go get a Reverend Dare Devil 290

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars/set_neck_series/daredevil_290.html

I'm waiting for mine to get shipped from the factory.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    If your talking about the faded series DC. Don't waste your time. Horrible quality, horrible soft neck. Horrible fret finishing. Have I said it's horrible?

If your talking about the VOS DC, then that is pure quality. Of course it's over 2 grand. I haven't determined to myself if any guitar is worth that much yet.

Honestly, go get a Reverend Dare Devil 290

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars/set_neck_series/daredevil_290.html

I'm waiting for mine to get shipped from the factory.

There are so many guitars out there woth that money. Name me anything else that will last as long, be as functional, give as much pleasure, never go out of style, always be compatible with both new and old accesory technology and becaome a treasured heirloom for that much money. Oh, yeah, and did I mention no annual registration fee, and bugger all running cost, unless you are measly enough to count a few bucks worth of strings a year.

Go the Custom shop one sean, you will never regret buying quality, and the money will always still be there if you ever need to sell.
    Cool, Sean, don't apologise for having what you have. I too have a bit of stuff, all teh product of my own labour, and it's yours and my right to spend my income as I wish. I hate it when people ask me to justify myself to them, as if I need their approval.

On teh subject of teh Junior, I'm a littel confused as to precisley what you mean. If you mean teh Custom sho TV Yellow 1960 REissue, I know you won't be disappointed. That has P90's bridge and neck, and great finish etc I thinik there is a cheaper non custom shop version, which does not get such great reviews, but is also a shitpoad cheaper. Pup changes make a big difference of course, and you haev access to Fralins and Lollars , BAreknuckles etc, all of which can provide less hum than the standard Gibbo's.
    May I strogly suggest you check out http://www.lespaulforum.com . It is a wondrous site for anyone who is into Gibbo's of any sort, and has any number of peeps who will help you out with info on tehese, reccomend dealers etc. GC is easy, but there are any number of guys weho will beat or match teh pricwe and give you service worth having as well.

Cheers
    yeah, i mean the 58 custom dc, like mikes :)

oh, and thanks for actually sticking to the original question :)
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    seanw1010 wrote:
    yeah, i mean the 58 custom dc, like mikes :)

oh, and thanks for actually sticking to the original question :)

It is awesome. I really don't know how else to describe it. I love mine. Just wish I had time to play it more. New job and new girl and getting in the way. But such is life.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    A new VOS Gibson will run you between 1700 and 2k depending on the store and whether it is a single or DC.

In my opinion, you are much better off buying a Koll Jr. It is much better looking, the quality is 10 times what Gibson puts out, you can play the snot out of it, the guy next to you wont have the same guitar, you will actually want to keep it for more then a month :), and you will have residual value.

All of the above plus it is less money.

Saul built this one for me and it really is light years beyond any Gibson.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/Kollfret.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/kollside.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/KollTop.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/Kollknobs.jpg
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I had a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Junior double cutaway, but it was old, and I didn't really like it all that much.
    It was a very temperamental guitar the way they make those (SLAB), kind of unstable.
    Not to mention that it has a very limited range of sounds with that single P-90 (very similar to my '71 SG-1 in that regard).
    I used it in a couple sessions, but it wasn't versatile enough.
    I ended up selling it to a collector who doesn't play it - I should have kept it.
    It pisses me off how many guitars I've sold to people that just collect them, and don't actually play them.
    Anyone else get irk'd about that stuff. . .
    Man I sold my '91 D'Aquisto Excel to a guy that also owns a bunch of guitars.
    He has one of Hendrix's guitars, one of SRV's strats, and a bunch of other old guitars, but he doesn't play them.
    He stores them in a walk in vault, and maybe strums them once a month.
    Makes me SAD - Guitars are meant to be played, not collected. I play every guitar I own - if not I sell it.
    Sorry about that, I got off on a bit of a tangent.

Anyhow, here's a photo of my '59:
    http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/1959GibsonLesPaulJuniordoublecutawa.jpg

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    i've got to admit, the faded DC that I bought just really screams and sounds amazing. The quality of mine is actually really good (granted I think I played 10 others faded DC's until I found one with good fretwork and such)....but hence the importance of playing before buying!

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • JofZ wrote:
    A new VOS Gibson will run you between 1700 and 2k depending on the store and whether it is a single or DC.

In my opinion, you are much better off buying a Koll Jr. It is much better looking, the quality is 10 times what Gibson puts out, you can play the snot out of it, the guy next to you wont have the same guitar, you will actually want to keep it for more then a month :), and you will have residual value.

Looks absolutely killer
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    That Koll looks amazing, hadn't heard of Koll before.

I think DC Jr. might not be my style though, seems just a little too simple for me. I like the option of having a bridge/neck pickup for playing different stuff.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    JofZ wrote:

How much does one of those go for?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    How much does one of those go for?
    +1
    woh, and anyone had experience with hamer's version of the jr? those look great too...
    seanw1010 wrote:
    +1
    woh, and anyone had experience with hamer's version of the jr? those look great too...

They're really nice. I played one at a small shop before. They're even more pricey than the Gibson if i remember.
    Copies all of them, onl; a ibbo is a Gibbo.

BTW teh DC Custom has 2 pups, neck and bridbge
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    seanw1010 wrote:
    +1
    I have a Hamer Artist Korina with P-90's that's very similar to the Gibson LP Jr Double-Cutaway.
    I like a lot, and it plays much better than that old 1959 Gibson DC jr I had.
    Hamer Artist Korina with P-90's
    Here's the specs
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I have a Hamer Artist Korina with P-90's that's very similar to the Gibson LP Jr Double-Cutaway.
    I like a lot, and it plays much better than that old 1959 Gibson DC jr I had.
    Hamer Artist Korina with P-90's
    Here's the specs
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    that ones pretty awesome too! my friend has one...
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    My Koll was 2k including Saul's photo updates and my choice of hardware and pup.
    DestroyAllGuitars.com is the authorized sales for Koll.
    Cliff is as nice as they come and he is even nicer if you tell him you know JasonZ LOL
    Seriously, the Koll is just an amazing guitar and I suggest you check out gear page for overwhelming amounts of reviews. The Kolls are in GuitarPlayer this month in the Torn interview!
    If you have a need for 2 pups, he will do that or add a bigsby or any thing you want. He is known for custom work. He will even add electronic gizmos, wierd pups.
    Check Torns guitatrs out.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    JofZ wrote:
    My Koll was 2k including Saul's photo updates and my choice of hardware and pup.
    DestroyAllGuitars.com is the authorized sales for Koll.
    Cliff is as nice as they come and he is even nicer if you tell him you know JasonZ LOL
    Seriously, the Koll is just an amazing guitar and I suggest you check out gear page for overwhelming amounts of reviews. The Kolls are in GuitarPlayer this month in the Torn interview!
    If you have a need for 2 pups, he will do that or add a bigsby or any thing you want. He is known for custom work. He will even add electronic gizmos, wierd pups.
    Check Torns guitatrs out.

Wow there are some nice guitars on that site. I'm especially attracted to the Gene Bakers and the Bruton Doublecut (although it looks like a direct ripoff of a Paul Languedoc: not sure which came first).