p90s in telecaster

seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
after recently customizing a strat my self(first custom job) i caught the customization bug. and after loving ed's telewith p90s in it, ive decided thats going to be my next job. can anyone tell me wiring tips on this? or what components(i.e. pot types, ect.) are the best for this. or if anyone has any helpful websites on this? or how to cut the holes in it. i will buy a body with nothing in it and completely work up. i will put two p90s in it, and use the standard bridge, but with no pickup in it. help....
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• does the body have to be fender? You can buy replica bodies (finished/unfinished) cut with different pickup assemblies in mind. Warmoth makes EXCELLENT repro bodies, with lots of pickup configurations you may like. Heres the link to the tele page specifically:

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/tele.cfm

they vary on price for the wood, but the highest price is rarelyover 200. Definately a good place for bodies and necks if you dont mind them being factory. They give good routing holes, and bridge holes, and if you want to do even more custom pickup routing or what not, its alot easier on an unfinished body.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    don't have an empty bridge. that will look horrible.

get a custom body routed properly for P90s and a hardtail strat bridge.

usually 500k pots, though some people like 300K i think. .22 (or .022 or whatever it is) capacitor.

nothing tricky to the wiring since P90s are two conductor.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    im probobally gonna get a prewired black 62 reissue tele(closest reissue to eds) body. im gonna get a pro to put a p90 route in the bridge. i guess ill keep the single coil in the brigde. does anyone know what pickups ed uses in his?(the neck is prolly fralins, but i dont know about thebridge, or the overwinding in the neck)
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My dad has a P-90 in the neck of his Tele. It sounds fantastic. I personally like having the P-90 and the Single. It sounds great when used together.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    My dad has a P-90 in the neck of his Tele. It sounds fantastic. I personally like having the P-90 and the Single. It sounds great when used together.
    which tele model i it? did he have to get anything routed/
  • here's a nice example:

http://muziek.2dehands.be/markt/muz_instr/elektrische-gitaar/15667483-tele-squier-custom-72-customized-p-90.html

that's why squier is cool, you can toy with them and not feel bad about it.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    seanw1010 wrote:
    which tele model i it? did he have to get anything routed/

It was originally a Squier Fat Tele, and he did have to get some routing done.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V