bought my first slide today...

seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
ive been playing for 3 yrs, so i decided to buy a glass slide. anyone got any songs i should learn first? any cool licks? any different tuning? thanks
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Make sure to tune your guitar to an open tuning, such as D, or G, like Daughter. Also, don't use the slide to push down on the strings, like i originally though. Just touch the string[s.]
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    in my time of dying-zeppelin(supposed to be in open g, but you can play it on the d and g strings if you dont want to retune the guitar)
    travelling riverside blues-zeppelin(gotta drop the high e to d)
    there are plenty of white stripes songs played with a slide. suzy lee and death letter are all i can think of right now.

open e is my favorite, but open d and open g are fun too. there are a few blues songs in open a but i haven't gotten there yet. any open chord tuning is fun to mess around with.

my first slide was a pryex(glass) slide and i loved it until it finally broke. i dropped it several times but it landed on its corner on a hardwood floor and that was it. anyway i bought a metal slide as a replacement and i love that thing even more. if you get into slide alot try different kinds of slides each one has a unique tone. i want to buy a resonator guitar someday so i can have one with the action setup for slide and leave it in open tuning, so its always ready. i hate retuning but slide seems to work best in open something.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Freebird, Rocky Mountain Way (thats in open E).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    i been learning the lap steel quite bit of over the last year or two after getting a gangleon cyst in my finger and not being able to play normal guitar for a while. Try some ben harper stuff its alot of fun and can be pretty impressive at parties if you happen to have a slide or a tone bar in your pocket like i do sometimes haha. :)
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • the trick with a slide is to mute all the strings you ARENT playing;)
    Cornell pwns u
  • gobrowns19 wrote:
    Make sure to tune your guitar to an open tuning, such as D, or G, like Daughter. Also, don't use the slide to push down on the strings, like i originally though. Just touch the string[s.]

Brilliant. I got a slide about a year ago and pushed down and it was all crazy and sounded like crap, tried a couple times since to no avail. Now I'll try the right way, thanks.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    The biggest tip I can give you is play slide with an acoustic. You'll pick it up faster. Everyone's has good info on this one, the pressure is key and like they say, keep the paddle down ;)
    One day it will click and you will laugh out loud!

Slide tunings that make a bad slide player sound decent are E, G and D.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Learned my frist song on slide!
    i learned the freebird slide part, and it sounds halfway decent too
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • How about Red Mosquito? It'd probably be a bear to learn, but what song to learn on!