edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    seanw1010 wrote:

+1
    I agree completely.
    As I've said before, TAYLOR gave me an 814bce endorsement back in '99 (a practically unknown session artist), and I haven't looked back since - It's absolutely one the most consistent/tonally balanced guitars I've ever played - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    +1
    I agree completely.
    As I've said before, TAYLOR gave me an 814bce endorsement back in '99 (a practically unknown session artist), and I haven't looked back since - It's absolutely one the most consistent/tonally balanced guitars I've ever played - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    cool, ive actually been looking really hard at the 714ce, any experiance?
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    seanw1010 wrote:

I'm flat broke but as soon as I get the cash I'm getting a 700 series.
    Best sounding guitar EVER...but that's just my opinion.
    God I love those guitars!
    mca47 wrote:
    I'm flat broke but as soon as I get the cash I'm getting a 700 series.
    Best sounding guitar EVER...but that's just my opinion.
    God I love those guitars!
    ya, i just love how it BOOMS, and yet it still retains the sweet sound of a taylor. im just skepticle about the cedar top and its ageing
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    a K-10 was my first "real" acoustic. Taylor makes a fine guitar :)
  • I want a taylor. My dad's boss has one, and it is amazing.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    That's awesome, if I could afford an 800 I'd do it.

Still breaks my heart thinking about the ruined 1969 strat sitting in the doorway of the house we stripped.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    That's awesome, if I could afford an 800 I'd do it.

Still breaks my heart thinking about the ruined 1969 strat sitting in the doorway of the house we stripped.

What's the story there?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    What's the story there?

It was a flood rotted 1969 strat. Perfect before the storm but it had sad under about 8 ft of water for 3 weeks, then buttoned up inside the house until we opened the door to clean it all out. It was the very first thing I saw when entering the house. The owner was a musician in a few local bands.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Oh man, that sucks.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    seanw1010 wrote:
    I haven't played any of the Taylor 7-series in ages, though I'm assuming the only difference between the 714ce and 814ce is appointments and the Western Redcedar top instead of Sitka Spruce (my 814bce is actually made from Brazilian Rosewood, hence the b).
    Although not a traditional wood for guitar tops, Western Redcedar has continued to gain in popularity, especially among classical guitar makers (many high quality nylon string guitars are made with cedar).
    Western Redcedar is softer, and not as strong or elastic as Spruce, but it is more stable with the changes in moisture content. It's liked for it's warm color, straight grain, and clear crisp tap tone. The color ranges from light to reddish to chocolate brown.
    I'm currently trying to work another deal with Taylor to get a 955ce 12-string, so I'll let you know how that goes (I'll know in a few months).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I haven't played any of the Taylor 7-series in ages, though I'm assuming the only difference between the 714ce and 814ce is appointments and the Western Redcedar top instead of Sitka Spruce (my 814bce is actually made from Brazilian Rosewood, hence the b).
    Although not a traditional wood for guitar tops, Western Redcedar has continued to gain in popularity, especially among classical guitar makers (many high quality nylon string guitars are made with cedar).
    Western Redcedar is softer, and not as strong or elastic as Spruce, but it is more stable with the changes in moisture content. It's liked for it's warm color, straight grain, and clear crisp tap tone. The color ranges from light to reddish to chocolate brown.
    I'm currently trying to work another deal with Taylor to get a 955ce 12-string, so I'll let you know how that goes (I'll know in a few months).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ya, i actually like the no frills look of the 700 series better than the 800 series, BTW
  • i've got an old issue of fingerstyle guitar that talks about the differences in ceder and spruce tops.

it says engleman spruce and ceder have the same density.

as for ceder specifically,it quotes dick boak,from martin as saying,"it's a terrific choice",and richard hoover of santa cruz guitars saying,"it's very bell-like and very specialized.it takes less energy to put it into motion and produce good tone.it has a very quick response,much faster than spuce.on the other end of the spectrum,though,if driven to hard it tends to break up a little bit tonally and decay more rapidly,whereas spruce can be played hard and continue to get a good tone."

the article also the differences between spruce and ceder is more apparent in classicals.........the ceder gives a warmer richer sound.........untill the spruce breaks in,which can take awhile.......and that ceder sounds great right away.

it finishes by saying,ceder sounds today like a sprice will in 20 years,and that to many ears ceder has a more brilliant,drier sound than spruce.

as for the different types of spruce tops,they say a sitka top offers the best longevity,it ages well but takes time to break in.they describe the tome as being clear,crisp sounding bass and bright,piercing treble.sitka is perhaps the most versatile,accomidating many styles and can be driven very hard without a loss of clarity,but some find it doesnt do as well as engleman or the german spruces when played with a light attack.

hope some of that was of use to your thoughts on a ceder top......

it came from fingerstyle guitar,volume 1,1993
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    the unseen wrote:
    i've got an old issue of fingerstyle guitar that talks about the differences in ceder and spruce tops.

it says engleman spruce and ceder have the same density.

as for ceder specifically,it quotes dick boak,from martin as saying,"it's a terrific choice",and richard hoover of santa cruz guitars saying,"it's very bell-like and very specialized.it takes less energy to put it into motion and produce good tone.it has a very quick response,much faster than spuce.on the other end of the spectrum,though,if driven to hard it tends to break up a little bit tonally and decay more rapidly,whereas spruce can be played hard and continue to get a good tone."

the article also the differences between spruce and ceder is more apparent in classicals.........the ceder gives a warmer richer sound.........untill the spruce breaks in,which can take awhile.......and that ceder sounds great right away.

it finishes by saying,ceder sounds today like a sprice will in 20 years,and that to many ears ceder has a more brilliant,drier sound than spruce.

as for the different types of spruce tops,they say a sitka top offers the best longevity,it ages well but takes time to break in.they describe the tome as being clear,crisp sounding bass and bright,piercing treble.sitka is perhaps the most versatile,accomidating many styles and can be driven very hard without a loss of clarity,but some find it doesnt do as well as engleman or the german spruces when played with a light attack.

hope some of that was of use to your thoughts on a ceder top......

it came from fingerstyle guitar,volume 1,1993
    Cool!
    Thanks for the read.

There is just something about that 700 series that just hits my soul.
    Such a full, warm sound. Man!
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    ya, i actually like the no frills look of the 700 series better than the 800 series, BTW

Same. I don't think any guitar looks as good as the 14s from taylor!