good dist. pedal

seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
hello, and i amp bought a fender supersonic 112 amp. i love this amp on clean, but the only way to get any distortion on it is to turn it up really loud(my room is very small, and if iturn up the amp, the neighbors complain. ) dont get me wrong, this amp is great, and the perfect vol. for shows, but, i do not want to go deaf in my room just to get some distortion. i do not know much about FX pedals(never really needed many) so i do not kno if a distiorion pedal will help. can i use a distortion pedal to get decent dist. at a lower vol.? if so, can you suggest any distortion pedals that are good( in the price range of 75-200$)? i play alot of types of music from PJ to bruce springsteen, to AC/DC, to Creedence, to Led Zeppelin, to jimi hendrix, to the who, but the closest i get to metal is Van Halen. please do not reccomend anty metal pedals! thank you
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Wow....I was going to post a question like this today!

I recently fell upon a Hot Rod Deluxe.

How do I get decent distortion/breakup at lower volume?
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    sennin wrote:
    Wow....I was going to post a question like this today!

I recently fell upon a Hot Rod Deluxe.

How do I get decent distortion/breakup at lower volume?
    thats exactly what i mean, the cleans are absolutely amazing am i right? but i cant get any distortion without making my eardrums bleed
  • Depends on what type of guitar you have...

I think you would really like the Fulltone OCD...I love mine. It has a lot of gain to it but if you turn the gain knob down you can get mild overdrive/distortion sounds for Springsteen, CCR, and some PJ...but then if you put it up a little you got Zeppelin and ACDC as well as PJ when you play the hard stuff.

Another pedal I think you would like is the Fulltone Fulldrive-2 but that is a litlte out of your price range, used you can get it in your price range.

It seems like your not going for the "crunch" sound

I tried out a Marshall GV-2 once and that was pretty nice actually, more of an overdrive than distortion. You can easily get many sounds out of that. I think I may pick up one of those this week.

The ProCo Rat I don't think is your type of sound unless you go with the Robert Keeley mod which I have heard changes it to an overdrive sound.

The Menatone Red Snapper is a tricky one... go to musictoyz.com and watch the video demo they have of it...it's supposed to be the menatone's version of the TS808. I personally do not like the TS808 or the TS9 but there's something about that pedal which I LOVE! That pedal as well as the Dirty Blonde can give you that hendrix type of sound with a modern kick.

Now a BJF pedal as in the Emerald Green or the Pink Purple Fuzz (musictoyz.com) I think you would enjoy but that is way out of your price range.

Go to musictoyz.com click guitar pedals on the upper left and just search around :)
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    Depends on what type of guitar you have...

I think you would really like the Fulltone OCD...I love mine. It has a lot of gain to it but if you turn the gain knob down you can get mild overdrive/distortion sounds for Springsteen, CCR, and some PJ...but then if you put it up a little you got Zeppelin and ACDC as well as PJ when you play the hard stuff.

Another pedal I think you would like is the Fulltone Fulldrive-2 but that is a litlte out of your price range, used you can get it in your price range.

It seems like your not going for the "crunch" sound

I tried out a Marshall GV-2 once and that was pretty nice actually, more of an overdrive than distortion. You can easily get many sounds out of that. I think I may pick up one of those this week.

The ProCo Rat I don't think is your type of sound unless you go with the Robert Keeley mod which I have heard changes it to an overdrive sound.

The Menatone Red Snapper is a tricky one... go to musictoyz.com and watch the video demo they have of it...it's supposed to be the menatone's version of the TS808. I personally do not like the TS808 or the TS9 but there's something about that pedal which I LOVE! That pedal as well as the Dirty Blonde can give you that hendrix type of sound with a modern kick.

Now a BJF pedal as in the Emerald Green or the Pink Purple Fuzz (musictoyz.com) I think you would enjoy but that is way out of your price range.

Go to musictoyz.com click guitar pedals on the upper left and just search around :)
    the guitars i use are a few fender strats and teles, and i plan on buying a Carvin DC400- my choice over PRS
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    If you use headphones (which naturally soften the overall volume without tampering with the guitar's signal) you can really hear your amp's distortion well without hurting your ears or making neighbors angry.

But honestly, I'm a beginner in every sense of the word. I don't even have any pedals (although I plan to get a Boss DS-1 very soon). But I remember not getting a good amount of distortion until I started using headphones.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    i cant find the Fulltone OCD, can you send me a link to one?
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    i cant find the Fulltone OCD, can you send me a link to one?

http://www.fulltone.com

or hit ebay and look, they are cheaper there.

I never tried the OCD with a tele but with the strat it's just as nice as when I played my SG through it.

http://musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/fulltone.php
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I'm selling my Shannon Distortion if you're interested.
  • My Greedtone is the best fucking distortion/fuzz/overdrive that I've ever heard. No contest.

But my friend just bought the last one (they're handmade), so you'll have to wait for another batch :p
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    moster78 wrote:
    I'm selling my Shannon Distortion if you're interested.
    ive never actually played a shannon. are they nice?
    My Greedtone is the best fucking distortion/fuzz/overdrive that I've ever heard. No contest.

But my friend just bought the last one (they're handmade), so you'll have to wait for another batch :p

Agreed 110%. Hence the reason for selling the Shannon Distortion. I barely use it, or any of my other OD or distortion pedals anymore. That little grey box does it all.
    seanw1010 wrote:
    ive never actually played a shannon. are they nice?

From what I played of it, I liked it, just never loved it. Personal taste, you know. I know Dirty_Frank has one, and from some of his previous posts, it sounds best when played with another pedal.
  • Yeah I wanna get a Greedtone too I just didn't have the cash for it when the new batch was out. I had to pay for my Gorge trip :)

How much did they go for again? About 175$?
    Yeah I wanna get a Greedtone too I just didn't have the cash for it when the new batch was out. I had to pay for my Gorge trip :)

How much did they go for again? About 175$?

$180 plus $10 for shipping, I think. Worth every penny.
  • moster78 wrote:
    $180 plus $10 for shipping, I think. Worth every penny.

Nice, I used to have the email address to contact. Can you PM it to me?
  • ^^ I would've paid double.

Plus, he sent a free power supply and a t-shirt (my friend didn't get a shirt, maybe I'm special :D )
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    Nice, I used to have the email address to contact. Can you PM it to me?

I want to say greedtone@gmail.com

I think he has a website now too, http://www.greedtone.com

I got a free power supply too, no t-shirt though. Thats OK, I'm a tall guy, it probably wouldn't have fit.
  • The clip he's got pretty much blows but it shows how loud the pedal is and i like the overdrive sound.