a beginner question from a definately non-beginner guitarist

seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
allright, ive been play ing guitar for a long time, and id like to think of my self as a semi decent guitarist. however, i still dont really understand the key of things. i understand how to find the key of a song, but i dont know where you would , say, solo in that song. say im playing a song with a chord progression od open A, than open E, than an opne G. i think that would be in the key of A right? would that mean i could solo on the fifth fret? thanks
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The big question is major or minor key. And that gets complicated by relative major and relative minor chords. Like if you're playing in C-major, you can solo in C-major or the relative minor of C-major, which is A-minor. The relative minor of a major chord is always two steps down, which translates to three frets down on the fretboard. To find the relative major of a minor key, then do the reverse and move three frets up.

Now, in Western music theory, the chords A-maj, E-maj, and G-maj are not in the same key. The key of A-major is: A-maj, D-maj, and E-maj.

The other thing to clear up is what scale you're playing when you solo. If you are playing a major scale, then you're correct and solo off the 5th fret in A-major. But if you're playing a minor or pentatonic (simplified minor) scale, you want to find the relative minor and root there. For an A-major key, you'd play a minor or pentatonic scale in F#m, 2nd fret.

I'll give you a PJ example: Ledbetter is the key of E-major, chords being E-maj, B-maj, and A-maj. The solo and improvs are almost always based off the relative minor of E-major, which is C#m, 9th fret.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    The big question is major or minor key. And that gets complicated by relative major and relative minor chords. Like if you're playing in C-major, you can solo in C-major or the relative minor of C-major, which is A-minor. The relative minor of a major chord is always two steps down, which translates to three frets down on the fretboard. To find the relative major of a minor key, then do the reverse and move three frets up.

Now, in Western music theory, the chords A-maj, E-maj, and G-maj are not in the same key. The key of A-major is: A-maj, D-maj, and E-maj.

The other thing to clear up is what scale you're playing when you solo. If you are playing a major scale, then you're correct and solo off the 5th fret in A-major. But if you're playing a minor or pentatonic (simplified minor) scale, you want to find the relative minor and root there. For an A-major key, you'd play a minor or pentatonic scale in F#m, 2nd fret.

I'll give you a PJ example: Ledbetter is the key of E-major, chords being E-maj, B-maj, and A-maj. The solo and improvs are almost always based off the relative minor of E-major, which is C#m, 9th fret.
    Was I supposed to understand any of this?
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    surferdude wrote:
    Was I supposed to understand any of this?
    i think i got most of it , but do u kno where i can get a chart with the relative minors for majors?
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    look online for a thing called the "circle of fifths"

for every chord, the chords to its left and right are the most common ones to be used with it, and the minor inside it on the circle is also a chord to use and is the minor key you use to solo (that should make sense once you find the diagram for the circle of fifths)

for example:

key of A - chords= A, D, E, F#m........solo in F#minor

key of G - chords= G, C, D, Em...........solo in E minor

you will notice that pretty much every song ever written follows these patterns.........
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836

That was extremely helpful, thanks.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    look for something called the Guitar Grimore (sp?). My friend has one and swears by it. ..calls it the "Guitar Bible"
  • It makes me happy to see that some people on here know their music theory.
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    Like if you're playing in C-major, you can solo in C-major or the relative minor of C-major, which is A-minor. The relative minor of a major chord is always two steps down, which translates to three frets down on the fretboard. To find the relative major of a minor key, then do the reverse and move three frets up.

this is not a good example, 3 frets down is a Bb or a A#. but two steps down is the A right?
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    E, G, A: Minor that E and you're in Dmaj land!

"this is not a good example, 3 frets down is a Bb or a A#. but two steps down is the A right?"

3 frets down from C is A, and A is the relative minor of C. After all, the major scale progression is:
    Maj min min Maj Maj min dim and then back to the root Maj. Aka Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do. And C major is:

Cmaj Dmin Emin Fmaj Gmaj Amin Bdim back to Cmaj

The A is 1 1/2 steps down from C major, or 3 frets.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"