awesome pics of Mikes 59 strat!

seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    There was a thread in the pit earlier. It fuckin kicks ass!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Damn that thing is beat up! I wonder how much of that is the result of Mike?
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    How long has he had it? (And PLEASE, someone DONT say "Since the '50s'"
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nice, it's been refretted a bunch I can imagine and in some places it looks very sweated on and played in. As cool a working guitar as their is. Look how shiny and polished the frets are.

Makes me want to finish mine, put the other 2 springs on the claw and install 11's. Then I'm going to need a basement to play loud.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Refretted? How do you do that and what does that mean?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Refretted? How do you do that and what does that mean?

take out the old frets when they get worn out and replace them with new ones, then level them all out perfect, we have PLEK machines now thank God to help out.

The fret job price depends on the luthier, what parts you want etc etc.

Probably starts around $300 -350.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Wouldn't surprise me if Mike had stainless frets installed because of how much longer they last and how much smoother they feel.

I just had a really great re-fret done (of coarse stainless steel) -- It cost more, but it was well worth it - cost was $288).
    If I had gone with regular nickel-silver frets it would have been about $50 cheaper.

If you get a good fret dressing done it should help (involves leveling, re-crowning, and polishing frets).
    Usually includes a guitar setup -- shouldn't cost more that $96 for this.
    Almost all NEW guitars actually need a fret dressing, even high end Gibson's and American Fenders.
    You get it done and your guitar just plays soo much better, it's soo worth it.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Ian, would you only recommend doing that on an expensive guitar (over $1000) or one that has a lot of sentimental value? For the cost of a refret/redress, I can almost get a new MIM Strat, heh.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Mike has had that guitar since around the mid-nineties...he played it with Mad Season (1995) not sure if he had it for the vitalogy tour (at least on stage) hope that helps.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    Yes, thanks for that. I am thinking about getting my strat done...but I first gotta get my funds set. Possibly this December is when I'll do it.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    How long has he had it? (And PLEASE, someone DONT say "Since the '50s'"
    well he's had it since at least april 1994, cuz he played it on RVM and daughter on SNL (just checked the video to make sure i'm right).....it had a sticker on it then that he has since removed
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young