what does faded mean?

seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
i am thinking of buying a Gibson Custom Historic 58 LP Plain Top because it has that vintage tone of mike and stone, but i need to know, does faded tobacco mean it does not have a laquored finish? if i am spending 2 grand, i would want a guitar that shines under the spotlights on stage

http://www.music123.com/Gibson-Custom-Historic-58-LP-Plain-Top-i96772.music
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 646
    seanw1010 wrote:
    i am thinking of buying a Gibson Custom Historic 58 LP Plain Top because it has that vintage tone of mike and stone, but i need to know, does faded tobacco mean it does not have a laquored finish? if i am spending 2 grand, i would want a guitar that shines under the spotlights on stage

http://www.music123.com/Gibson-Custom-Historic-58-LP-Plain-Top-i96772.music

That is correct, as far as I know.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    so it does have the laquored finish? thanks
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Faded could mean a variety of things like a weathered nitro lacquer finish, which is what they want to replicate.

But essentially, Faded, is a non shiny, cheap method of making a guitar look old and weathered. It's a lot cheaper than Gibsons other paint schemes.

The popularity of old guitars has allowed them to do this. In some cases less paint or fewer coats leads to more resonance but that depends on the wood as well. Essentially "faded" from gibson unless the name Tom Murphy precedes it means the brilliant Gibson Marketing team has found a way to market a cheaper finish which helps the companies bottom line.

Nitro lacquer ages a lot differently than Urethane.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.