72 thinline or deluxe

seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
im looking at this guitar, but i cant decide which i like better
the deluxe:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-72-Telecaster-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=511141
or the thinline:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-72-Telecaster-Thinline-Electric-Guitar?sku=510474
i like the thinline cause its ash, but i dont no if i like the semi hollow body. does anyone kno if i will lose the humbucking tone with this? this is my very first humbucker guitar as well(tho my 5th guitar).
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i'd go with the thinline simply because i think the oversized headstock on the deluxe is hideous.

probably not the best reason.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    What about a regular fat tele or double fat tele?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • i'd go with the thinline simply because i think the oversized headstock on the deluxe is hideous.

probably not the best reason.

Huh, I always thought the over size head stock was the best thing that came out of the cbs era.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Check out the '72 Custom. I've got one and love it. It's got the humbucker on the neck and single coil on the bridge. It also has the normal tele headstock.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Have you played either one? I would strongly suggest that you try to play them before buying one blindly...that is, if you have access to a store nearby that carries them. They are quite different animals.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    yeah i have played em both but i dont kno which i like m,ore
    seanw1010 wrote:
    yeah i have played em both but i dont kno which i like m,ore

My advice is to play them some more! :D

That's a lot of money for a maybe, bud.
  • GushfestGushfest Posts: 56
    you should deff go for the 72 custom. thats the choice guitar of keith richards. i believe eddie also played one at some point. its a classic. you have the both of two worls...a humbucker for mid range at the neck and a single coil for the highs at the bridge.
    Stage College 03, Philly 05, Camden 06, Los Angeles 06, Los Angeles 07 (Ed solo w/ Flea and Jack Irons), MSG I & II 08, Beacon 08, Ed NYC II
    Gushfest wrote:
    you should deff go for the 72 custom. thats the choice guitar of keith richards. i believe eddie also played one at some point. its a classic. you have the both of two worls...a humbucker for mid range at the neck and a single coil for the highs at the bridge.

Add Thom Yorke to that list ;)
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Play them and think about what sounds you want. They both will give good humbucker sounds. I do prefer the humbucker neck, and single bridge, though. (The Custom) But that's just me. Keith DID play those, but if you want to sound like Keith, you'll need to tune like Keith and play into amps like Keith uses, and pick and strum, and have timing like he does, too!
    I say play them over and over and try different amp settings and pick out what you feel the best with. An instrument like that is a personal decision, because everyone's hands are different.
    How's the neck, the balance etc feel to you? Play it for a while and make sure the neck stays comfortable in your hands. If the neck isn't right for you, you'll get tired or sore faster.
    Also, one thing about some of those thinlines is that the body is a bit lighter, so when you stand and play, the neck wants to dive down because it's topheavier there.(I like that new word, Topheavier! :D) Check that out on the one you're thinking of buying.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

The wide-range humbucker that is in all these guitars (Deluxe, Custom, and Thinline) is an AMAZING pickup, so I highly recommend it. I'm about a year away from getting a Deluxe in the walnut finish...

But as they've all said, try before you buy. All are great guitars.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    I know Keith has also played the Deluxe... he used it for the entire Chuck Berry gig from whatever documentary that was (somebody knows what I'm talking about... Bob?)

The wide-range humbucker that is in all these guitars (Deluxe, Custom, and Thinline) is an AMAZING pickup, so I highly recommend it. I'm about a year away from getting a Deluxe in the walnut finish...

But as they've all said, try before you buy. All are great guitars.

the documentary was HAIL! HAIL! ROCK AND ROLL! it is a great movie, and i do believe he did use the custom as well