what chorus and delay effects does mike use?

seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
can anyone tell me what chorus and delay effects mike uses? thanks!
Sean
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seanw1010 wrote:
    can anyone tell me what chorus and delay effects mike uses? thanks!
    Sean

Delay: Line 6 DL-4 Modeler. Also on his pedalboard is a Boss DM-3 Delay.

Chorus: Boss Stereo Chorus
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Delay: Line 6 DL-4 Modeler. Also on his pedalboard is a Boss DM-3 Delay.

Chorus: Boss Stereo Chorus
    thanks. could you be a little more specific on the chorus?
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Im looking at his board right now(it's my desktop background) and all I can see with the Line 6MM4 Mod(giants blue thing) which has a univibe chorus thing in it. The Line 6 DL-4 and BOSS DM-2(or 3) delay is what's on his board-it says delay on the pedal with a label.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/goodtruant/CCFA06/Dsc01847.jpg
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Original Japanese made Roland CE-2 chorus pedals are as widely esteemed and valued as the Boss DM2. Andy Summers used one. They are small and blue (standard boss pedal size, not like the big grey CE1) and look the same as the one on Mike's board. Granted there are CE3s and later that look the same... but they are supposed to sound weaker. If I had to guess I'd say Mike is using a vintage japanese made Boss CE-2.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    outside the MM4 which he doesn't even use for chorus, i've never seen a chorus on mike's board or heard much chorus on his tracks.
  • exhausted wrote:
    outside the MM4 which he doesn't even use for chorus, i've never seen a chorus on mike's board or heard much chorus on his tracks.

yeah, I agree. I just assumed he used the MM4 since it's the only thing on his board that offers that type of effect.
    the labels appear to say flanger, univibe and a couple phasers.

flange can sound somewhat chorusy.

I always thought andt summers signature tone was chorus but a lot of the time it was an ehx flanger.

so now I want to try an electric mistress.

I just sold my ce-2 and am going to get another choralflange I think. I seem to only really love chorus when it's in stereo.
  • Exhausted, you owned a choralflange before??? why did you sell?

i've really wanted one recently, wondering if a Vibe or choralflange is more usable. also, is the flange side as thick as a dedicated flange box? i think i would use both sides equally, which is what i'm most excited about.
    Exhausted, you owned a choralflange before??? why did you sell?

i've really wanted one recently, wondering if a Vibe or choralflange is more usable. also, is the flange side as thick as a dedicated flange box? i think i would use both sides equally, which is what i'm most excited about.

short answer: because i'm stupid. :D

the flange is quite subtle. it's not like what you'd hear out of a boss BF-2 or something.

generally, the choralflange is beautiful. because you can alter the delay time so much you can get some pretty ugly sounds out of it, but with reasonable settings, it's one of the best.

the mxr stereo chorus is very good as well.
  • Isn't flange like a delayed chours or somthing. I think someone on her explained it to me and it really made sense.
  • Im looking at his board right now(it's my desktop background) and all I can see with the Line 6MM4 Mod(giants blue thing) which has a univibe chorus thing in it. The Line 6 DL-4 and BOSS DM-2(or 3) delay is what's on his board-it says delay on the pedal with a label.

what tour is that pic from??
    03: Toronto
    04: Toledo
    05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto, Quebec City, St. John's 1 & 2
    06: Toronto 1 & 2, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati
    07: London, Dusseldorf
    08: Tampa
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Isn't flange like a delayed chours or somthing. I think someone on her explained it to me and it really made sense.

flange is a broad variety actually, essentially it was originally done by putting a thumb on a tape reel. That's the Lenny Kravitz Are You Gonna Go my Way sound doppler effect thing. Make a whooshing noise with your mouth and move your hand in an out, that's what flange sounds like.

The EHX electric mistress is a flanger but it's also kind of a filter matrix too with some different modulation going on.

Then there is the MXR Van Halen sound the ADA's and say the yellow 9 series ibanez stuff etc.

check out sounds of the electric mistress at http://www.ehx.com

line 6 should have some of mikes stuff http://www.line6.com

then there should be good clips of a Through Zero Flanger at http://www.foxroxelectronics.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • That's It!
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Here's a Picture of Mikes Pedal-Board:

(Mike uses the Line-6 MD4 for Modulations and DL4 for Delays)

Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Hahah, that's the exact same link I put up above